Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People. I am replacing the starter clutch on my GT750 trike. I have stripped it all out and fitted new springs and pins. Fitted a new 58 tooth starter wheel. I have repositioned the secondary shaft with everything connected up correctly. However, I decided to do a check before fitting the sump pan and refilling the system with oil. The starter kicked over for a couple of spins then the starter wheel just spins and the engine doesn't turn over. Am I right in thinking that it could be the fact that there is no oil in the crank which would help with the hydraulics for the pins to grip the starter wheel if the oil was present? Looking forward to your replies. Thank you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Do not crank/run engine w/out oil.!!!!!!!

The plain bearings on crank and camshaft ride on high pressure film of oil from the oil pump.

It is always best to change the whole starting clutch, including hub and casing, not just rollers and springs. Too much disassemble to skip on that.....

As far as I am concerned, lack of oil would not cause it to slip. On the contrary, many people think that wrong type of oil would make it slip. When slipping, it sounds like marbles; rollers not catching.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not crank/run engine w/out oil.!!!!!!!

The plain bearings on crank and camshaft ride on high pressure film of oil from the oil pump.

It is always best to change the whole starting clutch, including hub and casing, not just rollers and springs. Too much disassemble to skip on that.....

As far as I am concerned, lack of oil would not cause it to slip. On the contrary, many people think that wrong type of oil would make it slip. When slipping, it sounds like marbles; rollers not catching.
Thank you Hugojose.
I have not run the engine yet. The sump is off and I have totally rebuilt the clutch. I was just testing the starter clutch prior to totally rebuilding in only a 2 second pulse. I have a new starter wheel, new pins & springs. I have stripped the housing and cleaned the rubber sprocket and housing. The starter wheel is spinning and does not seem to be getting gripped by the pins in the housing.

·
Registered
830 Posts
OK, looks like the only part you did not change was the external casing. That provides the slots the pins jam against, biting on, and rotating the secondary shaft, moving the crank through the Hy-Vo chain.

.....I don't know what to say, if you reassembled everything right it should work, unless the slots in the casing are too worn out or is cracked. But even if not all well, it should make a sound. Even bad clutches wound sound like bad bearings, and would eventually catch if you keep trying. I you are absolutely sure you did everything right, I'd would go ahead fill it with oil and try for real, as the only remaining part not changed would be the casing.

Why did you replace it in the first place???? What were the symptoms?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I believe he calls them PINS, and if so......he did replace them. He mentioned a new 58 tooth starter wheel. Hopefully is same teeth number as stock.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
You would normally replace the One Way Clutch Assembly and the 58 Toothed Starter Sprocket as a set.
The Rollers and Sprocket are the 2 parts that wear as they are in contact with each other.
He mentiones the Sprocket, Pins & Springs but failes to mention the Rollers.
Kawasaki GT750 Starter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts