Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a half helmet or skull cap, that doesnt have that mushroom head look. I dont mind wearing DOT helmets, I just dont want to look like a I have a big pot on my head. I dont mind paying a more for something that looks good.

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
A couple HD guys I work with really like the carbon fiber models. Smallest DOT approved you can get, the ad says. Goggle it, I'm sure somebody where you are sells them, where ever that is ;). I'll ask them tonight at work if you'd like.

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
I found the advert I thought I had seen in a local magazine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about a 3/4? You can find them in dot and snell. Lots of air and larger field of vision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Uncle likes the 3/4 he's a Harley Rider. Personally, ... I prefer to keep my face right where it is so I go with the Full face Helmet. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
No lecture. But I went down and pulped the chin guard on a Shoei about 12 years ago. Glad it wasn't my face. Rethink full coverage.
Of course, I have this same discussion with my Harley riding GF - and she tells me to get lost, too!

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
No lecture. But I went down and pulped the chin guard on a Shoei about 12 years ago. Glad it wasn't my face. Rethink full coverage.
Of course, I have this same discussion with my Harley riding GF - and she tells me to get lost, too!
Live and let live, ride and let ride. To each his own.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Live and let live, ride and let ride. To each his own.
just get one of each.I have a full face for winter but like the scorpion ex 100 half helmet with a baklava underneath.The full face fogs up when I stop at the lights. the scorpion also has an internal visor and a removable helmet sun visor and a zip out neck gaitor that has pockets in it for headphones.It looks like a mushroom on your head but its worth the 100 bucks I paid for it.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Old thread but I'll add that the carbon fiber ones are from ACC, Advanced Carbon Composites. They sell helmets under the "Head Trip" name. I have one. It's expensive for a half but beautiful and well made.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Old thread but I'll add that the carbon fiber ones are from ACC, Advanced Carbon Composites. They sell helmets under the "Head Trip" name. I have one. It's expensive for a half but beautiful and well made.
+100

·
Green Machine
40 Posts
I just received my Skully from them, fits and looks great. Paid 109.00 I think, plus some shipping. Light as a feather and comfortable!

·
Bike Ride'n Budo Geek
101 Posts
I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of the carbon fiber helmets from Advanced Carbon Composites, and since a number of you seem to be fans, I was wondering if you can give any other details? How long was the turn-around from when you ordered to when you received it? The helmet comes with three different sizing pads to help with fit, but how much variance was there between the sizing the three pads offered? Any other details you can provide would be most appreciated. Dropping $185 for a helmet is no small thing and I want to make sure that it's everything it's cracked up to me...especially since I prefer to not have my head cracked. :)

Thanks!

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I ordered the DOT one and at the time it took nearly 4 months to get it. They lost their supplier that supplied the inner stiff foam liner and had to get a new one and get DOT certified again.

If you're worried about turn-around, give them a call - they were pretty forthcoming with info.

The sizing is achieved with pre-cut Neoprene bands, like wetsuit material, that ranged from probably one-eighth to three-eights thick. It ships will three bands and you choose the one that gives you the fit you want. They're held in with little velcro circles attached to the liner of the helmet. There's also a neoprene "star" that goes in the crown of the helmet.

The sizing on the "trooper" style runs small, IMO. Measure your head and send them the number, they'll tell you what size. Their straps are very thick and I thought they were hard to thread though the D-rings as a result. After I sent back my too-small one, I requested the Echo quick-clip option on the replacement.

It's really Kevlar and Carbon fiber. I ordered mine in the natural color because I love the look of the fibers through the clear resin they're embedded in. Strong and light and good looking.

I have no complaints other than I wish they'd make a FF one, too.

·
Bike Ride'n Budo Geek
101 Posts
Thanks for the additional info! The turn-around time is only a concern because my current helmet is pretty much at the end of it's life and need to be replaced soon. I like how you describe the sizing, and it sounds like it gives you a little way to go in either direction should you be a little off on the measurements. As for color, yeah I like the natural color as well.

Anyway, I'll give'em a call and get a little more info from them before ordering.

Thanks again, and if anyone has anything else to add, I'd love to hear more.

·
Bike Ride'n Budo Geek
101 Posts
Just a quick follow-up to the above. At your suggestion, I called the folks at HeadTrip/ACC (very nice and helpful folks) and got some more skinny on their helmet. It definitely sounds like what I am looking for. Unfortunately, they are again awaiting the material for the liners and are not currently taking orders. I have contacted the company linked in the 3rd post, and they are a dealer for HeadTrip. I am hoping to hear from them soon to see if they have any helmets currently in stock.

Thanks again!

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
You can get a DOT certified half for $40 or so, then order the ACC one when they start taking orders again. Might be worth the minimal "rent" on the temp one.

·
Bike Ride'n Budo Geek
101 Posts
You can get a DOT certified half for $40 or so, then order the ACC one when they start taking orders again. Might be worth the minimal "rent" on the temp one.
If the dealer gets back to me and they don't have any in stock, then that's exactly what I will do. I gave the folks at ACC my name and contact info when they are ready to start taking orders again.

I have to admit that I pretty excited about getting a helmet that not only doesn't make me look like a mushroom, but weighs a fourth of the weight of a standard helmet. God bless high-tech!! :mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts