Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody bought these or tried something like it????This morning riding to work some 25 miles on the highway at 35 degress my fingers were a little cold still.I have leather gloves with hot hand inserts and heated grips.I think if I could just keep the wind off I would be toasty down to the fingertips.I was just wondering if they are worth the 79 bucks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have them for the passed 3 yrs on a vulcan 1500 classic, my wife too on her shadow. Makes a good dif in cold weather riding. They saved my fingers when i ditched with my shadow 4 yrs ago, they were caught between handle and deflectors while scrapping down the road.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Hippo Hands, I made my own handlebar chaps and they worked really well, but not as well as Hippo hands which go around your grip area and makes a pocket for your hands that keeps them totally out of the wind and weather.

You have to make your own bracket to keep them from blowing back onto the brake and clutch handles BUT that's easily done with 4 bucks of 8" door bracing from Home Depot.

Motorcycle Hippo Hands, Handlebar Muffs

I would freeze my hands on the way to work under 10 degrees with the chaps. With the Hippos hands I've ridden at -7 F with no problem.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
We had them on our 1600 and 900. A better choice is to order the guards for a KLR from ma Kaw. They are cheap (~$15) and very easy to adapt. They will keep some of the wind off your hands but WILL NOT keep them warm. Get electric gloves. Once you ride with them, you will never want to be without them. Heated Clothing Outlet - Huge Discounts on Heated Clothing!
Gerbings Classic gloves are $99 including a wiring harness at the outlet store. So for $20 more your hands will really stay warm!

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hippo Hands, I made my own handlebar chaps and they worked really well, but not as well as Hippo hands which go around your grip area and makes a pocket for your hands that keeps them totally out of the wind and weather.

You have to make your own bracket to keep them from blowing back onto the brake and clutch handles BUT that's easily done with 4 bucks of 8" door bracing from Home Depot.

I would freeze my hands on the way to work under 10 degrees with the chaps. With the Hippos hands I've ridden at -7 F with no problem.
I will probably go with these but did you make your bracket to fit on the mirror stem???

·
Registered
194 Posts

I actually saw a bike today with these after reading this thread. I think they look quite odd, though I'm sure they are functional. Had never noticed them before

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw the chaps that scootworks sells and they dont look like they would do as good a job as the hippo hands.I think I will go with the hippo hands.I really dont care what they look like on the bike.It is the fact that cold weather riding can be dangerous unless you keep the extremities warm.Frostbite can hit you fast when your on the road.These with my leather gloves and heated grips should keep me warm to zero,I would think.I find no reason to put the bike away unless there is snow on the ground BUT you gotta stay warm!!!

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Used Hippo Hands on Yellowstone trip last year. HUGE, BULKY and a PITA. They are the reason we now have heated gloves. Heated gloves are relatively inexpensive and they provide all the heat you could ever need down to temps far colder than you want to ride. Heated grips only heat your palms so your fingers will still get cold. Best of all worlds... heated grips and heated gloves! gitsum

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Used Hippo Hands on Yellowstone trip last year. HUGE, BULKY and a PITA. They are the reason we now have heated gloves. Heated gloves are relatively inexpensive and they provide all the heat you could ever need down to temps far colder than you want to ride. Heated grips only heat your palms so your fingers will still get cold. Best of all worlds... heated grips and heated gloves! gitsum
they do look large and bulky.today i bought some at Bass Pro Since I work for Tracker marine service dept I get 40% off everything.I ended up paying 14 bucks for the set.These and heated grips should do the trick.Rode to work today and the temp was 38.Ok all the way to wrok but the fingertips were cool,not freezing but cold.Had the heated grips on high and my hands were roasting.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
temp was 38.Ok all the way to wrok but the fingertips were cool,not freezing but cold
That's because the main, blood carrying vessels on your hand are on TOP of your hand, not the palm. Our tree swinging ancestors cousins with the vessels on the bottom died out fairly quick the first time they grabbed hold of some thorns. Put heat on the top of your hands, either with electric gloves OR with chemical packs. Your hand will be pretty warm. On the 15 and below days I put the packs on for the trip to work. When I get to work, they go into a ziplock bag, I push all the air out and store them for the trip home. They are activated by the air and will last pretty much all week for the trips back and forth. Get them out of the bag about 5 minutes before you need them. I put them inside a pair of Jersey nit gloves, slide my hand in and then put them in the leather gauntlets. I bought a box of em for 10 bucks last year. In the long run electric gloves will be cheaper and easier to deal with. When your pressed for money sometimes spending 40 bucks instead of 125 is the answer.

And this setup with my Carhart overalls with a zippered knit hooded jersey and one of those face fitting neckerchiefs keeps me going thruogh the -7 degree days. I'll probably be buying a set of electric gloves, though I've meant to do so all year long. Oops, is it that time again?

The Hippo hands aren't big and bulky. But then again I can't ride a line worthy of some folks on this board and should probably sideline my car tire riding ***. If you have money to spend, spend it. If you need to do what you can to get buy, get buy. I made my chaps, they were almost free but they keep my feet as warm as the ore expensive store bought mammerjammers. Just because they were advertising Shell gasoline before I put them on my bike.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's because the main, blood carrying vessels on your hand are on TOP of your hand, not the palm. Our tree swinging ancestors cousins with the vessels on the bottom died out fairly quick the first time they grabbed hold of some thorns. Put heat on the top of your hands, either with electric gloves OR with chemical packs. Your hand will be pretty warm. On the 15 and below days I put the packs on for the trip to work. When I get to work, they go into a ziplock bag, I push all the air out and store them for the trip home. They are activated by the air and will last pretty much all week for the trips back and forth. Get them out of the bag about 5 minutes before you need them. I put them inside a pair of Jersey nit gloves, slide my hand in and then put them in the leather gauntlets. I bought a box of em for 10 bucks last year. In the long run electric gloves will be cheaper and easier to deal with. When your pressed for money sometimes spending 40 bucks instead of 125 is the answer.

And this setup with my Carhart overalls with a zippered knit hooded jersey and one of those face fitting neckerchiefs keeps me going thruogh the -7 degree days. I'll probably be buying a set of electric gloves, though I've meant to do so all year long. Oops, is it that time again?

The Hippo hands aren't big and bulky. But then again I can't ride a line worthy of some folks on this board and should probably sideline my car tire riding ***. If you have money to spend, spend it. If you need to do what you can to get buy, get buy. I made my chaps, they were almost free but they keep my feet as warm as the ore expensive store bought mammerjammers. Just because they were advertising Shell gasoline before I put them on my bike.
I havent had to break out the coveralls yet.Got insulated chaps long underwear and jeans.For the top i have a Heine Gerike insulted jacket with turtle armour and then a face mask with fleece from the eyes down.i tried the hand gaurd mitt on the bike and just have to cut a slice for the mirror stem and sew some velcro on.They are stiff and have plenty of room for the levers and controls.they do have a built in pouch for the hot hands also.I will give this a try.Its only 14 bucks and I can sell them to my quadrunner buddies if i dont like them.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
took the handgaurd mitts back to bass pro.they were too tight around the controls to use safely. stopped by home depot to get some lexan to make larger lowers.they came out great.Better than I expected.Will try them out saturday and see how the do.they are longer and go up 1/2" from the turn signals.I tried to block out as much as I could around the turn signal with them.Also had to taper them a little to fit the Cobra engine guard.Trie to take pics in the garage but did come out well.

·
Live, Laugh, Ride
651 Posts
The NC Handshields are great. I have no experience with the heated stuff because once I put the hand shields on I did not need heated gloves. My buddy has heated stuff and he says that is the only way to go but I am fine with just the shields. They definitely make a BIG difference. They bolt on or off in seconds. Good luck

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The NC Handshields are great. I have no experience with the heated stuff because once I put the hand shields on I did not need heated gloves. My buddy has heated stuff and he says that is the only way to go but I am fine with just the shields. They definitely make a BIG difference. They bolt on or off in seconds. Good luck
my only concern is if they keep the fingertips warm.hot hands in the gloves and heated grips work great.I can even squeeze my fingertips againts the grips and they stay warm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.