Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Winter Warrior
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about an hour ride to and from work each day, and I'm looking to increase my comfort. I'm thinking changing the grip position on my 900 custom may make a difference. I'm not looking for apes ( at least I dont think I am), just a more relaxed posture. I am 6', and very wide shouldered. Any suggestions?

Also I havent sat any other bikes but mine, and dont have friends with bikes to "try on". Well, I did sit my ex-girlfriends Boulevard C50 once, and I think I remember liking those bars.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I am a little biased towards apes, but before I changed my bars, I had 3" risers and they made a big difference.

·
Threadjacker
111 Posts
Pick a nice afternoon to go to your local biker bar. There should be a lot of Harley-Davidsons with wide variety of handlebars. Take your time, sitting on each bike, maybe roll them around a little, make some vroom noises. See what feels good. Bikers are swell guys and always happy to help out a fellow cyclist. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Pick a nice afternoon to go to your local biker bar. There should be a lot of Harley-Davidsons with wide variety of handlebars. Take your time, sitting on each bike, maybe roll them around a little, make some vroom noises. See what feels good. Bikers are swell guys and always happy to help out a fellow cyclist. Have fun!
He said that he was 6 foot and had wide shoulders, but I think he needs more than that to do what you suggest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Give me about a week and a half, and I'll let you know how mini apes on stock classic risers feel.

I ride an hour to and from work everyday as well... changing the bars out next weekend (assuming they turn up!). I'm starting to look forward to the change. And if they don't work very well, I'll also be able to tell you how westerns on 4.5" pullbacks feel... (back up plan!)

I'm about 5'11" and stocky (well... fat, but with decent sized shoulders as well...) so it may help. I'll get photo's too.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm about 5'11" and stocky (well... fat, but with decent sized shoulders as well...)
Nothing like brutal honesty....I love it. :cool:

You won't find that in a personal ad.:lol:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Nothing like brutal honesty....I love it. :cool:

You won't find that in a personal ad.:lol:
"Tall handsome professional gentleman, clean shaven, HWP, works out daily. Love camping, hiking and mountain climbing.............."

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    8.5 KB Views: 41

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I think I'd try the riser plan. Might be more cost effective. I think if you make any change to the bars you are going to have to change cables etc. I put a set of scootworks risers on my 900 and it really helped me out. I'm about 5'6". It seemed I was reaching forward to far and made me uncomfortable.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I used to have a lot of arm pain on longer rides with my 1500 Classic. I put Phat II risers on it, which helped some, but I still had the pain. Then I added some 12" mini apes. Problem solved. I can ride all day now without the slightest bit of pain. I kept the risers on, too. The hand position is really comfortable with this combination.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
I'm 5'8". Put a set of Phat II risers on my 1600 & they helped alot but still wasn't quite there. Put on a set of 14" mini apes & man what a difference! Hands are now just below the shoulders & I can ride all day 10-12 hrs, no prob!! Won't have a cruiser without them again! :biggrin:

·
Winter Warrior
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'd try the riser plan. Might be more cost effective. I think if you make any change to the bars you are going to have to change cables etc. I put a set of scootworks risers on my 900 and it really helped me out. I'm about 5'6". It seemed I was reaching forward to far and made me uncomfortable.
I went to to Scootworks and looked at the risers, and I'm thinking the Phatriser II. Which ones did you use, and did you have to do any cable work?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I ride a Classic and the bars are different but the PhatII's made a big difference. The cables were right at the hairy edge when I installed the risers and I needed to move the cables behind the triple tree. No big deal to do it. After I installed the risers I took the bike out and kept adjusting the angle of the handlebars to get the most comfortable riding position. It's amazing what a difference the angle of the bars can make on comfort.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, based on what I ran into on my Custom I think the Customs cables are shorter than the Classics. I put stock risers and Classic bars on my Custom and the cables were stretched tight. I had to trim nearly 2" off of the ends of the bars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts