Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been 25 years since this bike arrived from Japan and changed the motorcycle world. See the article in this month Cycle World. They missed mentioning that although this bike was only sold in North America from 1984-1986, it was produced and sold in the rest of the world right up until the final edition ZX900-A16 ended in 2003. This makes it one of the best selling bikes in the world. There are some great pics if you access Patrick's GPZ page. You can still get factory parts for everything...my particular bike was purchased from the original owner in 2005 and was in good shape but needed some work. I pretty much changed everything, repainted, added new mirrors which were an upgrade on later models(these came from 1989 ZX-10) the original stock mirrors pretty much just gave you a good view of your elbows. New paint. I opted for the 2003 paint scheme which is the same colors but with different graphics and pin striping. Bought it for $2100 and put about $4000 into it, but it's a one of a kind now. Runs great with no overheating(changed the engine sensors and added a larger oil cooler from the GPZzone.co.uk and it worked like a charm.)

View attachment 28466

View attachment 28467

Click to enlarge

I'm thinking about buying another one and redoing it since I learned alot on the first project. I tried to stay as stock as possible but did upgrade a few items. If you can figure out how to do it you can get 2003 part numbers off the Japanese Kawasaki website under parts, but it takes some getting used to because they don't translate their site very well. It's too bad Kawasaki USA doesn't have access to the Japanese parts network. I tried to get help from K-USA and they were virtually useless.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 86 came from craigslist free section a few months ago ... listed as "semi basket case" but all the parts came with it. I Just had to put fairings back on. It sat for 11 years in aircraft hanger and in really great condition, it had just had the lower end rebuilt ( #3 rod failure ) . I have since reworked the carbs & shimmed the needles, changed fluids, valve adjustment, just an all around performance set up / tune up. It will give my American Turbo Pac KZ 1000 bike a run for its money. No Doubt Kawasaki Hit the nail on the head for a true performance/street bike in the 80's with this MODEL !
I picked up tank bag & saddle bags ... makes a fine touring bike, already been to Lake Tahoe last month on our freak hot spell in calif.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My '85 14k miles. It might go up for sale, I just bought a '77 KZ1000A I want to restore.
When the 77 is done you will have a piece of Kawasaki history ( 77 first year of the 1000 ) I bought one of the first 1000's that hit the bay area, within 6 months it was transformed into one of American Turbo Pac's WILDEST street bikes in bay area with the help of Pee Wee Gleason & Denco Racing. Them WERE the days ... 200 plus horsepower bike with slick & wheelie bars for street racing ! My old 77 still lives... went to Bellingham Washington with my cousin for some years, then LOST the turbo and went thru a overhaul / 1200 motor and was resold for ( I was told 10,000.00 ) by Redline Cycles Illinois.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well it's been 25 years since this bike arrived from Japan and changed the motorcycle world. See the article in this month Cycle World. They missed mentioning that although this bike was only sold in North America from 1984-1986, it was produced and sold in the rest of the world right up until the final edition ZX900-A16 ended in 2003. This makes it one of the best selling bikes in the world. There are some great pics if you access Patrick's GPZ page. You can still get factory parts for everything...my particular bike was purchased from the original owner in 2005 and was in good shape but needed some work. I pretty much changed everything, repainted, added new mirrors which were an upgrade on later models(these came from 1989 ZX-10) the original stock mirrors pretty much just gave you a good view of your elbows. New paint. I opted for the 2003 paint scheme which is the same colors but with different graphics and pin striping. Bought it for $2100 and put about $4000 into it, but it's a one of a kind now. Runs great with no overheating(changed the engine sensors and added a larger oil cooler from the GPZzone.co.uk and it worked like a charm.)

View attachment 28466

View attachment 28467

Click to enlarge

I'm thinking about buying another one and redoing it since I learned alot on the first project. I tried to stay as stock as possible but did upgrade a few items. If you can figure out how to do it you can get 2003 part numbers off the Japanese Kawasaki website under parts, but it takes some getting used to because they don't translate their site very well. It's too bad Kawasaki USA doesn't have access to the Japanese parts network. I tried to get help from K-USA and they were virtually useless.

Hope you enjoy the pics.
Very nice bike!! I just picked up a beauty last fall with only 10,000 kilometers(6200 miles) did those mirrors off the 89 attach without mods? I would lake to do the same to mine.also I like the solo seats my seat is for two without storage does the solo seat clip on are they after market ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 86 came from craigslist free section a few months ago ... listed as "semi basket case" but all the parts came with it. I Just had to put fairings back on. It sat for 11 years in aircraft hanger and in really great condition, it had just had the lower end rebuilt ( #3 rod failure ) . I have since reworked the carbs & shimmed the needles, changed fluids, valve adjustment, just an all around performance set up / tune up. It will give my American Turbo Pac KZ 1000 bike a run for its money. No Doubt Kawasaki Hit the nail on the head for a true performance/street bike in the 80's with this MODEL !
I picked up tank bag & saddle bags ... makes a fine touring bike, already been to Lake Tahoe last month on our freak hot spell in calif.
my 86 is the same colour as yours I like your solo seat I want to get one.

·
Too **** Hot!
774 Posts
Eddie
I had the exact same bike. There used to be a company that sold a painted aftermarket side filler panel that matched perfectly so it looked like a fulle fairing. Oh what a great bike that was and pretty fast as well handled great. The only issue I had was keeping the carbs sinc'ed. The good old days

1 - 8 of 8 Posts