Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed the HC sideburners on my 08 Vulcan 900 Custom, they sound great but am worried about the flame in the backfire. I am new to working on bikes, any suggestions as to what to do. I have not changed anything else other than the pipes. Do I have to get a power commander for this?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ehh..I don't know what are HC Sideburners, but I suppose you are talking about new pipes.
Important is (like Z-In-Jax said), to know if that happens during acceleration or deceleration.
And also if the backfiring only happens since the pipe-swap.
It could be the mixture of the carburator(s) that is out of balance after the installment of your new pipes.
In most of those cases, you need to change the mixture or do re-jetting the carburator.
Some brands need re-jetting, some not.
Re-jetting a bike will cost you at least about $1500,- and...eh..Joking...
Seriously..check first if you installed the pipes correctly.
Your pipes should be firmly attached to the engine outlets.
Even If they are slightly loose attached, it will backfire as well (disregarding any brand).
Actually what's a power commander?..

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I have installed the HC sideburners on my 08 Vulcan 900 Custom..
Correction: HK Sideburners (Hard Krome)

I had a flame shoot out the first time I revved my 08 900 Custom after installing an HK exhaust. Never saw it happen again after that. However, you may be able to correct that issue if it happens consistantly by marbling the bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With just changing pipes you should not have to worry about re jetting or re setting anything. Check for an exhaust leak or a hose you might have knocked off while putting on the new pipes. Did it backfire before you put on the pipes?

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
Ehh..I don't know what are HC Sideburners, but I suppose you are talking about new pipes.
Important is (like Z-In-Jax said), to know if that happens during acceleration or deceleration.
And also if the backfiring only happens since the pipe-swap.
It could be the mixture of the carburator(s) that is out of balance after the installment of your new pipes.
In most of those cases, you need to change the mixture or do re-jetting the carburator.
Some brands need re-jetting, some not.
Re-jetting a bike will cost you at least about $1500,- and...eh..Joking...
Seriously..check first if you installed the pipes correctly.
Your pipes should be firmly attached to the engine outlets.
Even If they are slightly loose attached, it will backfire as well (disregarding any brand).
Actually what's a power commander?..

The 900 is fuel injected, don't think he's going to find any carbs to rejet..

I'd go with the marble first and if that doesn't help you may want to look at a PC or other fuel management system.

As mentioned, double check the pipes at the head, make sure that they are tight and not leaking. Can we assume that when you upgraded your pipes that you also replace the exhaust gaskets?

·
Registered
460 Posts
??...haha, VN900, fuel injection..learned something...

The 900 is fuel injected, don't think he's going to find any carbs to rejet..

I'd go with the marble first and if that doesn't help you may want to look at a PC or other fuel management system.

As mentioned, double check the pipes at the head, make sure that they are tight and not leaking. Can we assume that when you upgraded your pipes that you also replace the exhaust gaskets?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Important?

Is the backfiring even going to cause any damage to the bike itself, with the flame coming out as well, it doesnt flame backfire all the time just when it makes the loud POP

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took the light picture before I put the sideburners on, I will get pics of the exhaust side tonight sometime.
Let me know what you think
I have a video of the bike with sound but I dont think I can put that on here

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am getting chrome work done, but I am looking into stretching it, just a thought I am toying around with. I have more work that I am going to be doing to this so I will keep posting as I go, went a long way from just a bike, added green lights, then blue lights, some chrome parts, exhaust..........I need to get another bike for when this on is in pieces LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh and the bark is BAD *** I dont know why i didnt get them sooner now that I have heard them, I havent seend anyone else with them around here. found a good deal on them and couldnt pass it up

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I can guarantee you that you had backfiring with the stock pipes, it's just that you couldn't hear it. Some popping on decel is to be expected unless you are able to eliminate it with a PC III. Personally I like the sound from my Cobras, and you may find that it mellows and decreases over time. The biggest question asked here that I don't think you answered is did you use new gaskets on the install? If not, you may have a leak at the manifold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can guarantee you that you had backfiring with the stock pipes, it's just that you couldn't hear it. Some popping on decel is to be expected unless you are able to eliminate it with a PC III. Personally I like the sound from my Cobras, and you may find that it mellows and decreases over time. The biggest question asked here that I don't think you answered is did you use new gaskets on the install? If not, you may have a leak at the manifold.
Yes I replaced the gaskets, I do like the sound sof the pipes, they are loud and mean, I am just new to working on bikes so I dont know if any of this will harm the engine in any way, if not, I am not worried about it, the sound is monstrous, I kinda feel bad for my neighbors, well just for a second anyway.
I am worried about the blue flame that comes out when it REALLY backfires, it doesnt do it often but you can definatle see it. I tried reving up the motor today to see if any flame comes out on that but it does not.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I haven't seen flame from mine, but with your sideburners you can easily look directly into the pipe. There's a guy (username BillyBobby) on here that seems to be very knowledgable...you might send him a PM with a link to this thread. Word of wisdom...when you are in your neighborhood be considerate of your neighbors and be very easy on the throttle...it will save you headaches down the road!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't seen flame from mine, but with your sideburners you can easily look directly into the pipe. There's a guy (username BillyBobby) on here that seems to be very knowledgable...you might send him a PM with a link to this thread. Word of wisdom...when you are in your neighborhood be considerate of your neighbors and be very easy on the throttle...it will save you headaches down the road!
well the good thing is is that I live in the country, so neighbors are not as close as the city neighborhoods

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.