Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's cold here right now (relatively speaking). Yesterday it was in the mid 20's and we've been having sustained winds over 25mph, so the wind chill is brutal. I was in a parking lot at a store when I hear the unmistakable sound of a motorcycle. Yep, there he goes, some guy on a bike. No windshield or anything. He did have a helmet on and he was bundled up pretty good.

I don't mind riding when it's cold out. I've taken my bike to work when it was in the 20's, but with the winds we've been having, this was pretty extreme!

·
Registered
887 Posts
He just needed a fix, sittin here with cabin fever myself. Let see, if I ride with the wind, goin 25 mph there's no wind chill..........

·
99%er
239 Posts
It's cold here right now (relatively speaking). Yesterday it was in the mid 20's and we've been having sustained winds over 25mph, so the wind chill is brutal. I was in a parking lot at a store when I hear the unmistakable sound of a motorcycle. Yep, there he goes, some guy on a bike. No windshield or anything. He did have a helmet on and he was bundled up pretty good.

I don't mind riding when it's cold out. I've taken my bike to work when it was in the 20's, but with the winds we've been having, this was pretty extreme!
Are you in Jersey? That's exactly the weather we've been having here. The winds might be a little over 25mph though the past couple of days and i did see a guy out riding yesterday.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm in Alabama and WE are having the same weather, brutal for us. I'm going for a ride today anyway, I'll put the coveralls on.

Speaking of hardcore guys, I went for a ride on New Years day, and a guy on a street bike passed me wearing sweat pants, street shoes, a jacket and helmet. NO gloves! And I mean it was COLD out. People call me nuts but at least I dress for it.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I dunno. I can take the cold, but when the its cold and the ground is cold enough for ice on the roads. Forget it. Its all of 10 degres today. Maybe I should go for a ride. NOT. LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
Low-ish temperatures here. I saw a few, mostly scooters riding about.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I guess the good news, if you can call it that, is that when it gets this cold down here it is generally dry so I doubt I'll see any ice. But thanx for the reminder...

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Its always windy on a motorcycle ;)

But no...not insane. I was going to ride today (temp at 10 degrees)...but unfortunately the 'flurries' we were supposed to get turned into actual accumulation (not much, but enough I could slide the rear end of the truck without much issue) :frown: I was seriously depressed when I looked out my window and saw white everywhere.

If the roads are dry, I'm riding...temps be darned :lol:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Maybe the guy was out testing new riding gear/jacket/pants/gloves.
That is what I was doing yesterday and this morning.

As I type, It is 28 F here. Winds are 15-30 mph. I rode up north a bit and ran into some black ice on a country side road.

I got off the bike and walked over to get a closer look and yeah, it was ice. The temps were in the low 20's.

The ice was on a shaded curve and all the water in the ditch beside the road was frozen.

I always keep an eye out for frozen water in ditches beside the road because that can be an indication that black ice is in the area.

I turned around and came home to watch football.

I don't think it has anything to do with being hardcore or insane.
If I had to be someplace I would have not truned around. I was just
joy riding so that I could test my new riding pants in cold weather.

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
It's extremely cold here now with flurries and wind gusts more than 40 mph. I can feel my house shaking as I type this. I had to stop and get some gas before I worked out this morning and my hands went numb in a couple of minutes. I'm not riding in this. I did see a man and and a woman last week on Harleys. It was about 25 and they were bundled up pretty good. They stopped to get coffee I'm sure to warm up. I would say they are most likely passionate or trying out some work they did on the bike.

·
Hardcore Poser
151 Posts
I will ride in almost any weather. Just dress for it, I just got done with a trip to the carolinas where it was cold, raining, and windy, but man it was fun. Good leathers, jackets, and thermals make all the difference.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Yesterday a couple of us took a trip to the South Texas Motorcycle Museum in Edinburg, TX, not too far from the Mexican border. It was a bit chilly with the temp around the mid-50's. Nice 300 mile round trip to start off the year with. Even got to take a few pics of an Easy Rider "Captain America" chopper replica.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Haven't been riding since week before Christmas when we got the huge amounts of snow. If the ground was dry, I' might be riding, but not today - wind chill brutal! The roads aren't down to the pavement yet, and even if they were, there'd be all that sand/salt to deal with. Amazing how I can sit here with a sweatshirt, blanket across my lap, extra pair of socks on IN MY HOUSE, but put me on the bike, and excpet for fingertips, I don't feel it at all!

·
Livin' fast, dying slow
1,084 Posts
Not Hardcore or Insane, but passionate about riding their baby.

+1....or maybe his cage was broke, or he doesn't own one. I'll take mine out over my car for any reason I can handle on my bike short of intentionally going out in the rain. Been there, done that, commuting year round for 5 years with no car.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts