Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my pipes today, put them on, and..... WOW. They look great. The install was fine once I figured out that the install directions/ diagrams were just plain wrong. The sound,...wow. These things are loud. I started up the bike and literally couldn't hold a conversation over them. Now once up to speed, they have a nice little rumble- not loud at all but give it any gas or let off it and ...wow. They work *great* for getting drivers attention on the road. I got back from cruising around town and my ears are ringing. Hard Krome mentions alternative baffles for them, but haven't found any information on them yet- hope one is a quiet set. I'm a lil hard of hearing as it is :?

But besides the sound, the pipes do make the bike easier to drive. I had expressed concerns over low end power, but I'm finding that I can start the bike with less gas than I was using before. And backpressure- no problem: the bike doesn't decellerate as quickly now, so its just smooth cruising.

Phatboy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

YEEEEEAAAAAA BABY!! :lol:

are they sweeeeet or what :lol: i can't wait to get a set of those things
really adds some muscle,imo,to the look of the bike

and i like the fact that most pipes get louder as you go till at speed
they get so bad you need earplugs :lol: and these seem to do the opposite
they sound great at idle to me and just lightly roar at speed :wink:

nice choice :wink: no blueing either

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update-
The pipes have been on for about a week now. Either I'm getting used to them, carbon buildup has quietened them up a lil, or I am going deaf by now. But the pipes seem to be a little quieter than the first day I put them on.

My bike's idle has gotten a little rough- jumps up and down a little and occasionally stalls out at stops :? I guess that'll justify buying the Power Commander to tune that out.

Phatboy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Phatboy, let us know how that power commander works out for you. Got any pics of themon your bike? Would you still recommend them? I was thinking of getting V&H or Cobra because I don't want something too loud. Anybody else have any recommendations for a nice throaty sound?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took me a couple of days, but I've got a pic for ya Ussnewco. Just pay no attention to the Rifle windshield that I haven't reviewed =P

http://www.dougydoug.com/bike4.jpg

There is also pics bike1,2,3. I would not recomment venturing into DougyDoug's webpage tho cause he is a weirdo.

Phatboy

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's what I like to see... high quality photos!!

Thanks, nice pipes.. what windshield? :wink:
-Ryan

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
Okay, the pipes didn't cause the bike to stall, just had the idle set too low. I thought I had it turned all the way up, but I figured it out after buying/installing the powercommander and thunder air kit. I might be a [email protected]$$, but my powermods are done. :twisted: The pipes sound much better with the new mods. I hear no high pitched sounds now, just nice and deep rumbling. I would recommend switching the intake/ exhaust at the same time because they complement each other nicely. Oh, they are still loud, but they're growing on me- you might want to get the v/h so you can get the quiet baffles ussnesco.

Phatboy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power Commander

Phatboy, I am thinking about a set of 3" Staights for my 03/1600A. Do you recomend the fuel injection control module or do you think you could have got by without it? :?:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't really need the powercommander or whatever fuel injection control unit just for adding the pipes. Pipes handle post combustion air- so no need to adjust the fuel/air ratios. If/when you install an intake then you will be adding more air thus you need to adjust the fuel/air mixture. (Info mostly stolen from Bikeaholic's informative posts)

So you can get by without the fuel injection control, but I still would recommend saving up a little more and getting the intake/ powercommander too. The intake just makes the pipes sound a lot deeper. I was considering the quiet baffles Hard Krome is getting ready to release for the pipes, but now that I switched the intake I'm considering the louder ones :twisted:

Phatboy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts