Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone give me a heads up on ground clearance issues with the Hard Krome 3" big straights on an 04 Meanstreak. I'm already wearing my pegs out on this beast and don't want to give up any more lean angle.
I guess that's what I get for riding mostly with sport bikes. But the Meanie hangs in there for a tank. Can't believe it weighs close to 700 lbs.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've had no problems so far with my 1600 classic (just put them on today :twisted: ), but out of 25 reviews on http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ for the meanstreak only one guy mentioned scraping:

"Not recomended for those who want to lower the rear, these pipes will drag on lowered suspensions and hard right turns or speed bumps."

Phatboy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

ohio's just ridin' the crap out of the bike :lol: :wink:

no solution for that problem ,if your scraping pegs and pipes you know where
the line is :lol:

ride safe!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
ohio's just ridin' the crap out of the bike :lol: :wink:

no solution for that problem ,if your scraping pegs and pipes you know where
the line is :lol:

ride safe!
No doubt!!! I'm nearing recovery from a dislocated shoulder while leaning hard in a switchback where I hit sand over gravel ... If only my Spider Man web had not quit working I could of recovered from being high sided from the bike. Of course I tried to counter-steer which is what got me in trouble :) I guess I'll switch over to being Super Man next time :)

My advise ... Two kind of riders. Down and going down. I've ridden for 23 Years and never had an accident (Many Pucker moments). One unseen obsticle and a hard lean will take you quick ...

~peace

·
Registered
132 Posts
You must be riding the hell out of that thing. I'm glad I kept my Hayabusa so I don't feel the need to ride the Meanie so hard...I just like to cruise on her until a Harley D pulls up beside me...Then I like to let them have it. Maybe I'll go for a quick ride tonight...You got my juices flowing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As one who has seen the pavement monster gobble up my skin I'd like to reply. Going down ain't as bad as getting up with asphalt instead of hair. The dry scabs hurt for along time especially at the body hinges(elbows etc.) Young people think they will live forever. The scary thing is they might- as a vege or not much to look at anymore or sit in a chair with wheels with handles. The next time you drag the pegs think of your woman not wanting to look at your scars or see you on a pillow drooling. Think of the disgust that will be in her eyes the next time you feel the need to "drag" the pegs on a bike. If you are lucky, you'll die fast and not suffer or take someone else with you.If this ain't a wakeup call- go for it.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
drace

drace
no shot, but you kinda generalized that comment. i drag either a footboard or a muffler just about every time that i ride. i ride a nomad and i understand that the bike has low ground clearance so i accept the fact that i drag a lot, just a fact of riding. even my last bike, a honda magna, dragged almost every time that i went out. with cruising bikes sometimes you have no choice. personally, i would rather drag a peg than try to finish a turn by turning the bars. believe me, i have been in a situation that i had to turn the bars and i didn't like the result. the bike may turn where you need to go, but the body of the bike gets thrown where you don't really want it to be. just my $.02.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i drag a footboard now and then - i think its a good thing to know where
the line is-and dragging now and then keeps your respect for the bike
and humbles you a bit-if you ride hard its natural :wink:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had my big straight on for close to two years now and have scrapped the standard footpegs quite a bit, but never the exhausts. There is more than enough ground clearance, but as one guy mentioned, if you lower it at the back you might have a problem. Best sounding zorst's ever.

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
I have Big Straights on my 800A and ride it hard. I don't see where these pipes would cause any less ground clearance than any other pipes. The pegs should certainly hit first.

As for scraping, I don't think scraping is the danger. I made a right turn into a parking lot this morning to meet up with some guys for a ride and hit my right peg so hard, it kicked my foot off of the peg. That's a far cry different than hot dogging it around blind curves with a Ninja looking for an addrenaline rush.

Every curve could be defined with a unique speed at which it's safe to negotiate based on its degree of arc, visibility, road conditions, etc. You might even scrape pegs within that allotment of safe speed. But If you're riding faster than that to get a rush, the risk factor goes up fast. Sport riding on a cruiser raises the risk too, even if a MeanStreak is a hybrid bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts