Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Vulcan Classic fuel injected. I am interested in the Hard Krome 3" Big straights. Has anyone put these on their scooter and if so are you pleased? Also I am getting conflecting info. on the need for the Dynojet Power Commander. The feeling is if your happy with the power you have now there is no need for it. Any information will be helpfull.

Thanks, Dan

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
I don't have that exhaust, but generlly if you have only changed the exhaust and not both the exhaust and air intake then you don't need a fuel processor. I have Cobra longs and don't run a processor.

BTW, I love my pipes. If the HK sound anything like the Cobras then you'll love them.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I had the 3" Big Straights on my old Vulcan 2000 and they were pretty loud. They are also a big, imposing pipe so hopefully that is what you are looking for.

You do not need any form of aftermarket fuel mgmt. with the addition of pipes only. You will probably hear more "popping" on deceleration, as the pipes muffle far less than the stock pipes. And their are simple remedies to lessen or eliminate that popping that you can deal with easily.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Which Vulcan do you own?
HK makes good quality pipes so go for them if that's what you like. Even if you wanted too you won't get much performance out of pipes other than the sound. Although everyone will tell you don't need a fuel management with pipes only most of the aftermarket pipes makers will highly recommend you add one. I ran my pipes without one for about six months and bike ran fine.

On a different note...
You have been a member since 8/10/2008 and only 5 post??:confused:

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
My buddy has the strippers (black) on his 900 Custom. They are LOUD. WAY louder than my V2K with Powershots on it. It sounds good, but I don't think straight pipes would be much, if any, louder.

This being said they're very stout and well made.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
My buddy has the strippers (black) on his 900 Custom. They are LOUD. WAY louder than my V2K with Powershots on it. It sounds good, but I don't think straight pipes would be much, if any, louder.

This being said they're very stout and well made.
The Strippers are way louder than the Big Straights. Spok had Strippers on his V2K, and I had the Big Straights on mine....and their was a definitive difference in sound level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
V-Twin,

I have not been on for a while. Mostly when I have been on the forum I just read. I have learned quite a bit however. I had not owned a bike for 15 years until I bought the 2008 1500. I will more than likely spend more time here as summer gets here.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
I have a 2008 Vulcan Classic fuel injected. I am interested in the Hard Krome 3" Big straights. Has anyone put these on their scooter and if so are you pleased? Also I am getting conflecting info. on the need for the Dynojet Power Commander. The feeling is if your happy with the power you have now there is no need for it. Any information will be helpfull.

Thanks, Dan
I have the 3" Staggered Straights on my 03 Meanie. Very similar pipes, just a bit shorter (and staggered, of course).

Be warned, they're pretty loud. Not too bad when idling or loping along, but crank on the throttle, and you will be heard. I guarantee it.

I've had no issues with them at all. Nice fit and finish, and they look really good on the bike.

Would definitely recommend a PowerCommander, TFi, or other fuel controller. You don't need it if your just adding pipes, but if you plan on changing the intake at any point you will.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
I have the staggered staights on my 900 (w/ the HC removable baffles). It is loud for sure but not obnoxious loud. Now if I was to pull out those baffles - Oh that would be way too loud.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I had the 3" big straights on my MeanStreak. Loud, but not overly so, IMHO. You can baby it and not wake the neighborhood, or you can wake up the whole countryside if you want.

Mine cracked the front pipe right near the head. HK had a design flaw in those pipes that led to cracking, but they refused to admit it. Ran into some very poor customer service and will never do business with them again.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The Strippers are way louder than the Big Straights. Spok had Strippers on his V2K, and I had the Big Straights on mine....and their was a definitive difference in sound level.
I have spoks pipes on my bike now and I had same pipes on on a 900 custom and the v2k is diffently louder.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Mine cracked the front pipe right near the head. HK had a design flaw in those pipes that led to cracking, but they refused to admit it. Ran into some very poor customer service and will never do business with them again.
Same here. Mine cracked when they were about a week out of warranty and HK never responded to emails or calls. Replaced them with V&H Straightshots that sound better and haven't cracked after four years and thousands of miles.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Same here. Mine cracked when they were about a week out of warranty and HK never responded to emails or calls. Replaced them with V&H Straightshots that sound better and haven't cracked after four years and thousands of miles.
Not to highjack the thread but were you been have not anything from you in a while ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife has Hard Krome pipes on her yamaha, both heat shields have cracks in them, probablly replace them in the next year.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Not to highjack the thread but were you been have not anything from you in a while ?
Been insanely busy at work for a while and briefly I was abducted by aliens. When they wouldn't let me drive the flying saucer I made them take me home. Stupid aliens.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i debaffeld my almost 2 years ago about 12000 miles and never had a problem with no reprogramming

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Been insanely busy at work for a while and briefly I was abducted by aliens. When they wouldn't let me drive the flying saucer I made them take me home. Stupid aliens.
It goes both ways. Would you have let them ride your motorcycle?

·
Registered
659 Posts
sure would!If they seem to drive there own space ship with respect.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
It goes both ways. Would you have let them ride your motorcycle?
They were on the short side but if they could flat-foot it, sure. Good thing PA isn't a lid state as their heads were kinda big and I don't think any helmet would fit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts