Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard "re-starting" after 6 miles

Kawasaki, zx-6 (zzr600), 1998, 17000 miles on it.

I had this bike only for about 2months now. I have no problem starting it every morning and everytime i go home from work. Im using it everyday. I m having trouble re-starting it only during gas filling since i need to stop the engine for this. If it will take me around 5 minutes after i turn it off to try to re-start it, its going to be hard. then it will start after maybe around 6 or 8 times of cranking it. It is not only during gas up that its difficult to start. I noticed that it is usually hard starting like this when i shut it off while the bike has ran for at least about 6 miles while the engine is hot (not overheat though) . But if im running and try to shut it off and restart within a minute it will start normally. Something is happening to that 5 minutes that makes it hard to restart.

I was told that maybe my battery cannot take the engine temp because my battery is only 10amperes. and must replace it with a 12 ampere battery. But the bike is cranking all the time which means the battery is still good to it.

the plugs are new, been synchronized, no oil change yet, it doesnt overheat, it runs good.

This is my first post. I hope someone could help me. TIA

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
sounds to me like its to rich but try a GOOD battery first. put jumper cables on it next time to see if it helps fire it off faster.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Try shutting the fuel valve a mile before the station. Then on after it starts. It might be the fuel valve allowing it to flood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds to me like its to rich but try a GOOD battery first. put jumper cables on it next time to see if it helps fire it off faster.
Ok , ill try it. As soon as im home I'll wait 5 minutes and if it doesnt restart, then i will jumpstart it from my car.

Try shutting the fuel valve a mile before the station. Then on after it starts. It might be the fuel valve allowing it to flood.
I think there is something wrong with its Fuel valve (if that is the petcock) because when i got it from the previous owner it was set to "OFF" he said thats how his mechanic want it set. Thinking it might starve my carbs, i put it to "On" anyway .

And also a week after i got it. All the spark plugs got busted (all of it turned to black). my mechanic said the reason it got in to that is because it was "flooded"

If this is the case, Why will it flood? What is causing it? is it my pump?

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Sounds like you need to rebuild or replace your petcock.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yes, it is. By the sound of things your petcock diaphragm is staying open, allowing fuel to be dumped into your carbs.

Purchase a manual and a diaphragm kit. Also, check the vacuum line from your carbs (engine vacuum is used to open diaphragm), if it is hard or brittle it should be replaced as well.

Next time this happens to you, crank throttle all the way open during start to help clear flooding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it is. By the sound of things your petcock diaphragm is staying open, allowing fuel to be dumped into your carbs.

Purchase a manual and a diaphragm kit. Also, check the vacuum line from your carbs (engine vacuum is used to open diaphragm), if it is hard or brittle it should be replaced as well.

Next time this happens to you, crank throttle all the way open during start to help clear flooding.
how is "all the way open" , is it twisting "down" or "up". for me throttle twisting down is revving hard, and twisting up is going to idle. newbie here thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts