Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 zx1100 that's had alot of engine mods. It's hard to start all the time. When it finally does start it acts like it's flooded but clears out rite away and runs amazing. How can I make it easier to start.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One simple thing to try is to gap the plugs at minimum spec. like .028 instead of .034 for example. They're only going to get wider as they wear over time anyway. Possibly a combo of older battery, weak charging, added accessories drawing power, it can lead to a battery maybe not getting a full charge and cause a chronic hard start condition. narrowing the gap just makes it that much easier for the system to fire the plugs. And I've experienced this on my own bike. Went from "if it didn't fire on the 1st or 2nd try, get the jumper cables out" to starting on the 1st try 95% of the time. I eventually replaced the stator and rectifier, which cured the chronic under-charge. but this got me by for a year or so. Mine did start better warm though, was mostly after sitting overnight or for a few days.

Edit: And I'll add that if you've upped the compression, it's that much harder to get a spark to jump the gap. Air is an insulator, compressed air is a better insulator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 1990 zx1100 that's had alot of engine mods. It's hard to start all the time. When it finally does start it acts like it's flooded but clears out rite away and runs amazing. How can I make it easier to start.
Hi,
You have missed out quite a lot of information. What engine "mods" have you had? Does the problem happen when the engine is hot or cold or both? Do you leave the bike on the side stand all the time? How old is the battery?(It does not matter that the battery reads 12/13 volts if the amperage is low,very common fault). You state that the bike acts like it is flooded after starting. It probably is flooded if it has taken along time to fire up. It does not take long on these machines to flood if the engine is cranked but does not fire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts