1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brave biker?
Or a nutcase?

Here is a nice story.
I picked this up of a fellow biker on a Dutch motorcycle webpage which was posted yesterday..

It’s wintertime and yesterday, somewhere in Eastern-Holland a fellow biker was on the interstate in the night with his van.
Suddenly he notices a fast coming, shimmering tiny tailight of a motorbike doing only 40 to 45 mph.
He passed it and could see that it is a little old 70’s classic Zündapp moped.
At a gastation he needs to fill up and later he could see that the little foreign moped was parked there too.
Inside the gastation he get’s into conversation with the rider, who apparantly is older and French and who is on his way to Kiel which is 345 miles further in Northern Germany …to catch a ferry for a winter motorcycle gathering, 600 to 700 miles up in Norway!!..:eek:
You must be joking was the reply!
He doesn’t actually know where he is and he is studying a borrowed map of the gastation.
The Dutch guy asks him, what type of uh..moped are your riding?
A Zündapp 50 cc he says and 45 mph was the best he could do...
The Dutch guy says, you know, it’s actually forbidden to ride a moped on the interstate here. He replies that he know’s that, but he was a bit in a hurry to get in time in Northern Germany and he just left Paris (340 miles away) today…so uh..
He felt sorry for that guy, get’s a map out of the van and gives it to him to show him clearly how to get to the Scandinavia route via Northern-Germany.
Appearantly he has no pen and paper to make a note or something, so that was given to him too…
Then the moped rider has some worries about where to spend the night.
It was already 9 pm in the evening and actually he would like to ride another 345 miles to “Kiel” Germany.
He had already some snow on the way and he thought that is was better to push it now before it really comes down…in Norway he would put tires with spikes on he said...
The Dutch says, you must be nuts!. it is getting to freezing temperatures and you just have a normal winterjacket on with a rainsuit on top of it!!
I really advice you to spend the night at the border which is just 70 miles away.
Then he’s really happy when he hears that there is laptop with an internet connection in the van.
Now I can find my friend’s telephone number on the internet and he can find a hotel for me he said, he forgot to bring the number of his friend..
Then he asks, do you know if there’s a public phone here?
Apparently, he didn’t bring a cellphone neither...
He could borrow the cellphone of the Dutch guy and after a few calling attempts he found out that he couldn’t reach anybody.
So a few calls were made for him and a hotel at the border was arranged.
After repeatedly explaining to him, how to get there and what he probably not fully understood, the brave moped rider continued his way again..
Probably in Norway he will be until his hips in the snow (if he get’s there anyway) and it’s even colder, cause it can get easily to –4 Fahrenheit.
When he arrives, sure he will be the hero of motorcycling Norway!
I just hope he didn't forgot to bring money for the way home too…LOL. :biggrin:
Somehow I have respect for this guy...

To one of these meetings he was was going.
YouTube - mod primustreff 2009

YouTube - Fjordrally 2009

And apparently this was the guy..

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
He will be very lucky in not being found frozen along side the road!
Underpowered/illegal engine size for the highway,no cell phone,and no idea where he is.

If he makes it to his destination, he will have had the Angels watching over him.

·
Air Force Vet
664 Posts
Dedicated for sure a real Biker!! Must be one hell of a party there!

I did the same thing in 85 rode from chicago to dayton ohio on christmas eve in the falling snow and cold i must admit i had a bigger bike, a water buffalo Suzuki. And no i would not do it again!

·
Registered
950 Posts
For some people, ignorance is bliss. But that only lasts until something comes along and educates them. And it will...usually in a bad sort of way.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Let's see:

- Riding a vehicle on roads it's not equipped for...check.
- No cold weather gear...check.
- No route plan despite "being in a hurry"...check.
- No emergency contacts or a way to contact...well...anyone...check.

That's just crazy.

With proper planning and gear, you can do something like what he wanted to do without much trouble. This would be the opposite of that.

There's a huge difference between what a guy like Robert M. Pirsig did or what the guy who road across Canada in the dead of winter did. They had at least a basic plan, proper gear and someone to stay in contact with.

This guy sounds like he went out to his garage, looked at the car and the scooter and said "what the hell" and took the scooter.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Let's see:

- Riding a vehicle on roads it's not equipped for...check.
- No cold weather gear...check.
- No route plan despite "being in a hurry"...check.
- No emergency contacts or a way to contact...well...anyone...check.

That's just crazy.

With proper planning and gear, you can do something like what he wanted to do without much trouble. This would be the opposite of that.

There's a huge difference between what a guy like Robert M. Pirsig did or what the guy who road across Canada in the dead of winter did. They had at least a basic plan, proper gear and someone to stay in contact with.

This guy sounds like he went out to his garage, looked at the car and the scooter and said "what the hell" and took the scooter.

you left a few things out

1) a moped aint a motorcycle....check
2) he's french.....nuff said

1 - 14 of 14 Posts