Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend gave me his apes off his roadking this summer. i haven't pulled the trigger on the install because i'm worried they wont fit right. Here are some pics of them. What do you guys think?

The harley grips are def. smaller than the kawi grips

heres how they looked on the bike

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
I think they look good but don't you think you should lower your bike so your feet can touch the ground?:lol:

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
My apes are for a HD and there is plenty of knurling at the riser area so they work just fine. My apes and for external wiring though. I put them on thinking that if I didn't like them, they would be easier to replace....sort of a try out thing. But I love them and desided to stick with them.

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My apes are for a HD and there is plenty of knurling at the riser area so they work just fine. My apes and for external wiring though. I put them on thinking that if I didn't like them, they would be easier to replace....sort of a try out thing. But I love them and desided to stick with them.
I fell in love with them when i just attached them to the bike to feel them out. The position my hands were at felt so comfortable. i'm really looking forward to installing these on my 900 or a 1700 if i trade up.

·
Fire & Iron For Life
3 Posts
Are you going to have to get the cables extended or will the stock ones work? I am also thinking about putting apes about that size on my bike.

·
18,096 Posts
I have HD apes on my 06 Nomad. But like predfan mine are external wiring. I would assume it would be fine. Only 1 way to find out for sure. Jump in and get your feet wet :)

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you going to have to get the cables extended or will the stock ones work? I am also thinking about putting apes about that size on my bike.
Yeah, i'm gonna go with +8 on the cable as from what i hear the +10 lenghth is to much.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Another thing to think about.....since you are going to get longer cables, you might think about going ahead and switching the Harley upper controls. You can get the cables custom made to work. A few members here have done it.

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another thing to think about.....since you are going to get longer cables, you might think about going ahead and switching the Harley upper controls. You can get the cables custom made to work. A few members here have done it.
What would be the benefit of doing that? Cost?

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
What would be the benefit of doing that? Cost?
Some people prefer them and they would work better with those bars right? That's just a guess on my part.

Another benefit would be a larger selection of mirrors, grips and control accessories for the HD stuff.

·
Barrett Motorcycle Repair
202 Posts
1997 1500 classic 20" apes with 2" risers
Ended up with 37' :eek: of wire in the handlebars (PITA but worth it)

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
definitely getting new grips when i do this. That will be the max $$ for this project.

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats a nice ride! nice job! BTW how tall are you? Any discomfort on longer rides?

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
With 16" apes, stock cables will not work. A couple members here have put on 13" with the stock cables but they had to be rerouted a little.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts