Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just paid a Harley dealer $500 to replace a starter on his 2003 Low Rider... The bike is 1 year, 2weeks old.. 2 weeks past the 1 year warranty... What a rip... he has $20,000 in the bike and it only has a one year warranty...

Does anyone know what it costs to have a starter replaced by a Kawasaki dealer for a VN750??? Or any other Kawasaki???

Bill...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome to the world of H/D !!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
welcome to the world of H/D !!
Yep. Many people ask me "Don't you want a Harley?" and I just tell them "Nope." After the dealer gouges you buying the bike, they get to gouge you fixing the bike - and the bike will need to be fixed a lot... :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look at most, but not all, asian bike dealers, they are small mom-an-pop kindof dealerships... now if you look at "most" Harley dearlrships, they are mostly "taj mahal" dealership. Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who is paying for those grandiose facilities and profits...

Also, not to throw rocks, but many Harley riders don't have a pot to p..s in or a window to thorough it out of , but they have a $20k+ Harley...

Finally, it's not the initial cost of a Harley, it's the cost of the maintenance the will put you in the poor house...

Just my humble opinion...

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harley ripoff... Update... Update...

My brothers dealer informed him today that they will pickup $300 of the outragious $500 cost of replacing the starter... So, what they are saying we will forgo our ripoff installation cost of $300.00... Well I'm happy for my brother, but just wait till the next problem...

Bill...

·
Registered
14 Posts
wilythek said:
My brother just paid a Harley dealer $500 to replace a starter on his 2003 Low Rider... The bike is 1 year, 2weeks old.. 2 weeks past the 1 year warranty... What a rip... he has $20,000 in the bike and it only has a one year warranty...

Does anyone know what it costs to have a starter replaced by a Kawasaki dealer for a VN750??? Or any other Kawasaki???

Bill...
Hey, at least Harley stands by their products. I've got a 1600 Classic that's about 3 months old and my local dealer won't do warranty work on it. When I was shopping for a bike they wanted full book price, so I bought from a dealer down the road (90 miles) for $1200 cheaper. Since I didn't buy from them, they say they wont service it. I called Kawasaki Cust. service when I was told this and they said they would have to do the warranty work. Well, my trip reset button stopped working so I called in for a repair. The repair dept. asked if I bought it there and when I told them I didn't they said I would have to get my repairs approved through the manager and gave me his name. I've called numerous times over the past several days and each time I'm told he's busy, they take my number, but never a response. I'm fixing to write some serious letters to the state attorney general, better business, and of course, everyone in Kawasaki until I get some help. If Kawasaki's authorized dealers wont service a bike under warranty then they better be ready to buy mine back. I don't want to hear about Harely, their customer service is heads and shoulders above Kawasaki. This is rediculous and when I spoke to customer service the guy acted as if he could care less. I can't imagine another manufactuer that would allow their dealers to do this. What if you broke down while on the road? Sheesh!! Love the bike, but am really disappointed with the support.

·
Registered
302 Posts
CUSTOMER SERVICE

Jack,
I understand where you are coming from, I bought my bike 150 miles from home and saved about $1500.00 over my local dealers full msrp that he would not budge off of even for cash deal. Realizing that I had a four year ext. warranty and did't want to drive 150 miles for each service I went ahead and let the local shop have some business(pipes,jet-kit-air filter-windshield) Then when I brought my bike in for my 4000 mile service the first question was"did you buy your bike here?" When I said no I was told I would have to make an "appointment" for service and that the usual wait was three to four weeks. When I asked why they told me that their customer base would always come first. My buddy that has the exact same bike as mine took his in the next day and had his 4000 mile service preformed that day! (HE bought the bike from them) I will never spend another dime at my local dealership which is really sad, it's a brand new large well stoked dealership---run by greedy idiot's. With bikes just like everything else if you find someone who treats you right be loyal and give them your business. I now have bought 3 bikes in the last 2 years from McAllen Motorsports and could not be happier with the prices and service, and yes I do have to drive 150 miles each way to get it.
Hope Your Problems Get Resolved,
Lonestar

·
Registered
302 Posts
dealership ripoff

Hey Jack,
Just noticed where you are based......we're talking about the SAME dealership. Run , don't walk away from them. Call John Tunberg at McAllen Motorsports and tell him you need some warranty help- he's heard the same story from me and has bent over backwards to help me in every way..... tell him Donnie sent you. 956-686-1565
Let Me Know How This Works Out,
Lonestar

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i've owned a harley most of my life and they are expensive to buy and expensive
to trick out and expensive to service-everybody knows this up front - yet they still sell!
so i can't gripe about it,i knew what the deal was when i bought my first one.
with regard to service - every mfg. has good ones and bad ones,i'm lucky the h/d
is good and the kawi dealer is very good,but this dealer your referring to about warranty
work :roll: that's not right and i would certainly let the right folks at kawi know about it :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A concern I have is that if you "force" a dealer to do warranty work on your bike when they "don't" want to cause you bought it elsewere, what kind of work can you expect from them... I'd be concerned about it...

Nope if it were me, I'd just move on and forget about them.

·
Registered
837 Posts
jack,i've delt with the same idiots that lonestar is talkin about.i now go to mcallen motorsports as well because of the same reasons . them idiots in cc wont get any more of my money either...ever...

·
Registered
14 Posts
bud8fan said:
jack,i've delt with the same idiots that lonestar is talkin about.i now go to mcallen motorsports as well because of the same reasons . them idiots in cc wont get any more of my money either...ever...
Kawasaki must monitor this forum, but do you think they care? No, because this dealer is top rated in sales and this is obviously all they care about. We're all talking about Cycle Plaza, and I've heard these same stories time and again from other people here in town. As a matter of fact, for all work other than warranty repairs, I take my bike to a small shop on Saratoga called Hagens. The guy used to be a mechanic for this dealer, but quit. He told me they would be sitting around on their hands starving for work and the store would turn paying customers away because they didn't buy the bike there. Can you imagine Harley doing this. BTW, Hangen's business cards say "you didn't buy it here, but we'll service it here". If you don't need warranty work I highly recommend him, he does a good job and is reasonable.

·
Registered
302 Posts
sorry dealers

Jack,
It's good to finally know what happened to Hagen. He was their top mechanic and was the only one I would let work on my bike. When I asked what happened to him I was told they had to "let him go" because his work was not up to parr and that he was "burntout". I know from the job he did on my bike(pipes,jet & air kit) that he was top notch. Where on Saratoga is his shop?
Also heard that there is a petetion going around to take the franchise away from the dealership because of customer complaints, but I've not actually seen it. Any time I need service (with warranty) I'll go to McAllen, but it would be nice if there was a local place as an alternitive.
Thanks.
Lonestar

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: sorry dealers

lonestar said:
Jack,
It's good to finally know what happened to Hagen. He was their top mechanic and was the only one I would let work on my bike. When I asked what happened to him I was told they had to "let him go" because his work was not up to parr and that he was "burntout". I know from the job he did on my bike(pipes,jet & air kit) that he was top notch. Where on Saratoga is his shop?
Also heard that there is a petetion going around to take the franchise away from the dealership because of customer complaints, but I've not actually seen it. Any time I need service (with warranty) I'll go to McAllen, but it would be nice if there was a local place as an alternitive.
Thanks.
Lonestar
He's way out on Saratoga, down past Ayers, etc., and his shop sets right next to the Tequila Rose night club. He's got a big sign out front. Always plenty of nice bikes there for him to work on, I think he's one of the best in town. Too bad he can't do warranty work. If you locate that petetion let me know. BTW, as I mentioned previously (I think), I'm looking at adding an air kit and FI adjustment module (not sure which one), and I'm going to have him do it. The only problem is I'm not sure if he has the Dyno equipment or not, or if he even needs it. Think I'll give him a call tomorrow, I'll let you know what he says.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: CUSTOMER SERVICE

lonestar said:
I brought my bike in for my 4000 mile service the first question was"did you buy your bike here?" When I said no I was told I would have to make an "appointment" for service and that the usual wait was three to four weeks. When I asked why they told me that their customer base would always come first. My buddy that has the exact same bike as mine took his in the next day and had his 4000 mile service preformed that day! (HE bought the bike from them)
I doubt the dealer is really worried about pissing people off who do not buy bikes from them anyway... :?

·
Registered
4 Posts
To Jack and all you guys who I think are in South Texas

First of all, In the mid 1980's I owned a Ford Franchise, generally in dealer agreements the dealer does have to work on what they do sell. But if the bike is from another dealer and the customer does live in the dealers market area, they, the dealer, still has to perform warranty work on the product they sell... but, the dealer does not have to bend over backwards quickly for an out of market purchase..... Exception.... If the customer is a drive through, on vacation, passing on business, or anything similar, and his ride is broke down, can not run, safety issue, or anything like that,, that dealer better be off his butt and take care of that customer before anything else is happening in his shop..... My franchise was in a small town of 5,000... 20 miles south of Lawrence kansas and 40 minutes from Kansas City metro..... it was tough,, people would drive to the city and get abused by the city dealers and purchase a vehicle for 50 to $100 less, and then expect us to fix it.... screw that crap,,,, it would sit till I was ready to work on it..... and we were really nice guys,, we lived there,, shopped there,, and paid taxes there,, Under Chrysler and Ford,, corperate policy,, if you the dealer executes warranty work on a unit twice, that customer becomes yours, whether he purchased the unit from you or not,, if his warranty claims exceeds his front end sales averages, the manufacturer will soon be doing audits on your every move,,,, they won't get out of your business, and start charging you back for stupid idiotic things,,, you the dealer are now pregnant,,,, its like a 50,000 lb gorilla sitting on your head,,, But it still doesn't excuse that dealer for being a jerk about it.... The dealer needs to explain things up front,, it still doesnt mean he needs to make a home run on every sale,, I feel the same way as you and every other buyer out there feels... I am not going to be raped on a sale... So back to the ranch, I do have a choice where I do prefer to purchase a unit at.... I will give them an opportunity to meet or match someone else's price,, if they can't I guess I am hoping and praying for a care free ride............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts