Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It's pretty simple to replace. Get your owners manual out for details, usually either under the seat or behind the side panel.

Get yourself a battery - your choice - I prefer Yuasa make sure it matches stock size.

Remove the battery - be careful if you see white stuff caked on around the terminals - acid. If you had white stuff, get a water and baking soda soloution and toothbrush them clean - I shouldn't have to say this, but I will. Don't use the toothbrush again for brushing teeth.

With the battery removed and the terminals cleaned - connect the new one checking to make sure positive is with positive and negative with negative terminal to post.

Resecure the battery and fire her up

·
Registered
17 Posts
1Adam12 said:
It's pretty simple to replace. Get your owners manual out for details, usually either under the seat or behind the side panel.

Get yourself a battery - your choice - I prefer Yuasa make sure it matches stock size.

Remove the battery - be careful if you see white stuff caked on around the terminals - acid. If you had white stuff, get a water and baking soda soloution and toothbrush them clean - I shouldn't have to say this, but I will. Don't use the toothbrush again for brushing teeth.

With the battery removed and the terminals cleaned - connect the new one checking to make sure positive is with positive and negative with negative terminal to post.

Resecure the battery and fire her up
Ditto, if you can out pants on in the morning, you can do this! :p

·
Registered
458 Posts
1Adam12 said:
Make sure to disconnect the ground 1st, then the hot. Reconnect in reverse order. Hot 1st, then ground.

Also, pick up some dielectric grease at the auto store and put a film on battery terminals and cable terminals. That will prevent the white stuff in the future.

Other than that it's a snap, but can get a bit messy if you have the white stuff and clean with the baking soda solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just grabbed a motorcycle battery from wallyworld, will it fit? It looks kinda big by looking at it. Thanks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mr. Pat said:
I just grabbed a motorcycle battery from wallyworld, will it fit? It looks kinda big by looking at it. Thanks.
Who knows. Is it the same size? Does it have the same electrical ratings. Cold crankamps, etc.

Motorcycle batteries are pretty specific to models. That is due partially to size constraints. If your bike is not listed on the application chart at Wally world, it probably WON'T fit.

Get one that is on the application chart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Didnt even think about the bloody application chart. Did for the plugs. Hope I can return it. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Be sure and get your connections tight. My bike started acting up, would not start (click and lose electric power) and cut out while running. Tightened the battery cables and all is fine now.

Fatcat

·
Registered
456 Posts
ipscshooter said:
Make sure to disconnect the ground 1st, then the hot. Reconnect in reverse order. Hot 1st, then ground.
When I was growing up, I always used to wonder why people said that. It seemed to me that if you break or make a circuit, it doesn't really matter whether it's on the positive side or the negative side. Then one day I was working on an old VW van and figured out why. The battery was tucked into a pocket in the right corner of the vehicle. It was a kind of tight in there. As I was disconnecting the positive first, my wrench almost touched the inside of the fender, which would have made quite a short. If I had then let go, it would have been a sustained dead short, and that would not have been pretty. Fortunately, I realized what could happen right before I did it, and decided to disconnect the negative first instead. That way if the other end of my wrench bumps something, it's no big deal. I learned my lesson without even getting hurt.
Curt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts