Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have 500 want 1500 classic, please give input

Hi all and Merry Christmas. I bought a new 500 a few months ago. it's a great bike, but the more investigating and thinking i do, the more i want a 1500 classic. i know if i trade in now i will lose some $$$, but isn't happiness worth it? :) i just thought i would ask for an object opinion and any comments u more experienced ppl might have. btw, my 500 is my first owned, but have ridden some in the past.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Alex,

I would get to know some folks with big bikes and see if you can ride one. Your bike is very sporty and easy to turn. Try making some sharp turns around cones and such on your bike and then get on a large bike and try the same thing. I have a few friends that are motor cops and it is amazing what they can do on a large bike. I put 8000 miles on my Vulcan 800 and still have trouble doing the things they can do on a much larger bike. It takes a lot of practice to become proficient riding bikes. I would suggest looking at an 800 classic. Mine was an awsome bike for cruising but was still light enough to me manuverable. You can upgrade pipes, intake and exhaust and have similar if not better acceleration than a 1500. The only thing it will lack is torque. The only reason I sold my 800 is that I am 6' 2" and it was a little cramped on long rides. Just some food for thought.

If you have the money and you enjoy riding a big heavy bike, get the 1500

Hope this helps.
DJ

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I ride a 1500. I bought it last april after a more than 20 year layoff from riding, was very appreshensive about getting back in with such a large bike but Now that I did, I'm glad I did. Center is right tho, you should try a big bike to make sure its for you and that your right for it, if that makes sense. Anyway, I love my bike, have no complaints At all, I'm a very happy camper.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I ride a 1981 650 Yamaha and a 2003 1500 Classic and what is obviously different about the two bikes besides their age is how great the 1500 handles and how well balanced it is. The lower center of gravity helps make it almost an effortless bike to manuver and for me the weight difference is a non issue.....with the exception of braking due to the added weight. Just allow yourself more distance for reaction time when braking. The 1500 in my opinion is a very nice handling and well behaved bike that will actually surprise you when you ride one. That being said....it is always wise to go check them out and sit on one yourself.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input so far. I am soooooo glad I stumbled into this site. Tons of info and really nice ppl. I look forward to being a part of this and thank everyone for making me feel welcome.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good Idea to see if youcan try out a bigger bike first. You might want to consider the 800 Classic, it is my first motorcycle and I love it, It looks as good as the 1500, and I ride with a Mean Streak, a VTX 1800 and an 1100 V-Star on occasion and have no trouble keeping up. I thought at first I would want to upgrade in a year or two but I don't have any plans to get anything bigger. Of course the biggest thing other than engine size and weight to consider is how it fits, I am 5 foot 10 and the 800 is just right for me. Got a couple freinds over 6 feet and the find it a little cramped.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you want to find out how your motorcop friends ride, get the DVD from this guy: www.ridelikeapro.com

I have the DVD & it is an eye-opener. I have done some of the techniques and they work.
Regards

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I bought an 800A in August after coming back to biking after a 20-year hiatus. I thought the 800 was a pretty big bike and that I wouldn't outgrow it. But within a couple of months, I realized I wanted a larger bike. I traded my 800 in for a 1500 Classic FI. Found a good deal on a trade-in at a local dealer--a 2002 with extremely low miles. I agree that handling a big bike is a bit different than a smaller bike. I ordered a Jerry Palladino DVD (the one he makes for women), which has some great tips for handling a large bike. I've been riding the 1500 for about a month now and love it. It actually feels more stable than my 800 did, partly, I think, because of the wider front wheel. It handles cornering extremelly well. I have no fear leaning over hard on it. It's very powerful and smooth. It's a great bike.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
loving all this info and really appreciate the warm welcome. i think i am gonna enjoy this site. Glad to meet all of you. Keep those posts coming!

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
welcome to the site. just to continue what everyone else is saying, try to get a test ride on one of the larger bikes. i know a lot of people on here love their 800's, so maybe that's all you need. me personally, i like bigger bikes, so i would get on one of them and see how it feels. good luck.

david

·
Registered
308 Posts
I will say this though I do love my 800 but if I found myself doing allot of long highway riding, or allot of riding double for long distances, I would get something in the 1300-1600 range, just for the extra weight , size and power.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Alex,Was riding a 750 Honda Shadow(areal nice bike)but i too wanted a bigger bike ,so i found a 03 Vulcan classic for sale,gave it a test drive,and did'nt take me long to decide i had to have it!!! Oh,forgot to tell ya it is a 1500 size. Welcome aboard! Kenny in North Carolina.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts