Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to sportbikes (93 ZX1100D) and I have always used the clutch to shift through all gears, regardless of RPM's. I have been told that you don't have to use the clutch to shift through the gears if you are running lower RPM's (5500 or less), you can just let off the gas a little and just shift up. Is this true? Is there any long term damage to the trans?

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
I've been able to use clutchless shifting smoothly on every bike I've had. It's never caused any harm, but you've got to know what you're doing (I'm not recommending it).

In fact, it takes some people awhile to figure out they are clutching too deep for too long when they shift.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
I've been able to use clutchless shifting smoothly on every bike I've had. It's never caused any harm, but you've got to know what you're doing (I'm not recommending it).

In fact, it takes some people awhile to figure out they are clutching too deep for too long when they shift.
+1.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I'm new to sportbikes (93 ZX1100D) and I have always used the clutch to shift through all gears, regardless of RPM's. I have been told that you don't have to use the clutch to shift through the gears if you are running lower RPM's (5500 or less), you can just let off the gas a little and just shift up. Is this true? Is there any long term damage to the trans?
I rode 20 miles home through the city without a clutch when the clutch cable broke. You can shift both up and down without it, I wouldn't make a habit of it.

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
It's possible but my thought is that they put it there for a reason.
What's the advantage to not using the clutch?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I did it once, by accident (from 1st to 2nd after attempting a wheelie, in the panic of the moment I forgot to pull the clutch but kicked the gear up with my foot anyway) and it felt seamless - in fact I only realised I was in a higher gear when I was doing in excess of 60 m/h and my bike was not revving in the top end of the rev range. I don't know if the shift occurred when I was under power or if I had let off the throttle (partially or completely).

On that note - do you NEED to let off the gas to shift up or down or can it be done under full throttle as well?

This is a "just to know" - I don't see myself making a habit of shifting clutchless either...

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Using the clutch reduces your chance of damage. I can shift a semi with no clutch, but that's another story!

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
If you are a skilled rider,you may be able to match rpm and enable clutchless shifting. As I rebuild motorcycle transmissions for a living and HATE to work on my own stuff I use the clutch. The final tenth should be left on the table on the street. Besides, my talent is expensive.
***Claps***
Amen. My mechanic says the same thing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I can upshift seamlessly on my 250 in the lower RPM's. I just use the little bit of lax in the chain, and let off the throttle, shift, re-apply throttle in about 1 second time. It works beautifully, but downshifting isn't as smooth.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
elr658: i have never met a mechanic that enjoys working on there own stuff. every one that i know always drives piece of ****te cars that barely run and i always wondered why if they can fix it themselves why dont they? is this true with your car and stuff?

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
No. I also don't worry about the final 1% of performance that takes the final 85% of effort. I pick my battles. I am a realist. The average consumer has neither the skill, the knowledge or the effort required to keep anything at peak performance. I am an ELITIST. The world is UNWORTHY of my best efforts. They are reserved for Nina and my family.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts