Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of new bikes, the new ZZR600 is absolutely gorgeous. Kawasaki seems to have grasped the idea that the 2nd string 600's from all the manufacturers need to be redesigned. While the Ninja line can be kept cutting edge (600, 636, etc.), the ZZR appears to be more for the sport touring crowd. The new ZZR600 appears to appeal more toward the latter. It's about time the bike makers realized that not everyone can afford the price of the bigger bikes, and yet some riders would appreciate smaller displacement sport touring machines.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah. I've seen one. My local dealer has one on the floor now. It's nothing more than a ZX-6 from a few years ago though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really?

According to Kaw's PR data, it's completely redesigned, especially for comfort. Is that an exaggeration? If so, shame on Kaw for doing that, especially since they've raised the price to over $7,000.00. I know the fairing looks a lot like the ZZR1200, and the seating looks radically different. I'll have to get a closer look at one, I guess. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Actually the ZZR600 is the old ZX-6E. I haven't seen any of the official Kawi press releases. But from some of the info I've read in the mags, they've said the same thing about it being nothing more than a ZX-6E and have stated that the Kawi officials have also indicated as such. There may be some tweaking that has been done to bring it into the current market but I wouldn't expect anything major though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 2004 ZZR600 was still the old ZX-6E. The 2005 ZZR600 is based off of the 2000- 02 ZX-6R. How much they changed it, if at all I don't know. It looks to my eye like the only difference is the paintjob.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mmm what he said. I can't find the links right now but they admitted it is "based on" the ZX6R...

I'll try find the link again...

I'm sure it is a great bike - but it does not encompass what I love about the ZZR name till now (Competent to be thrown around a bit; fast enough for most, but comfortable and properly finished off {ie closed fairings; no plastic cups of brake fluid; etc etc})

:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
Yeah. I've seen one. My local dealer has one on the floor now. It's nothing more than a ZX-6 from a few years ago though.

yea this bikes looks almost exactly like the zx6r from a few years ago..maybe got lazy and just renamed it a few years later :roll:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting

So what everyone is saying is: Kawasaki turned back the clock, and raised the price $600 a unit to pay for it? I'm not doubting you, but I'll have to look deeper into the bike's impression on everyone in the real world to buy into that. If that truly is the case, then once again, shame on Kawasaki for pulling a stunt like that. I know that some of the moderators are associated with Beartooth, so if any of you guys are checking this out, maybe you could enlighten us. I'd sure hate to have to rely on the motorcycling press to give us the lowdown on this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2002 model ZX-6R

2005 model ZZR-600

I've heard it is basically is a rebadged 98-02 ZX-6R, but has lower pegs and higher bars. Looking at those two pics the bars do seem just a bit higher, but the pegs look like they're in the same place. The pic could be an pre-production bike, you never know, but one thing they did do was remove the bars going from what looks like the frame to the inside of the fairing near the windshield.

As for everyone getting their panties in a wad because Kawi just rebadged an older ZX-6R and raised the price of the new ZZR-600 by 600 bones from the previous rebadged model (ZX-6E), just realize the if this truly is the same bike as the 98-02 ZX-6R, then you're getting a nice price cut. The U.S. MSRP for the 2001 ZX-6R was $7,899. That's $700 less for what appears to be the same bike, all despite 4 years of inflation. I think it is great that Kawi dusted off the old machinery and/or molds to bring back a great bike that a lot of people loved. I lot of people hated when the ZX-6R went to being racetrack oriented in '03 instead of remaining a great all arounder that could still compete. I'm sure Kawi brought this old bike back instead of designing a completely brand new one so that they could keep prices down. Plus all those peeps with the 98-02 6Rs have great parts availiability now. Great move, IMO, I always wanted a ZX-6R with those more comfy ergos and while still having that race replica performance, so instead of having to buy a used one, I can get a brand new one now. I applaud Kawi. They've got a great history of keeping some bikes the same for those riders who want a tested, tried, and true model (Ninja 250, 500R, Concourse, Vulcan 750). That shows me they have a committment to their existing riders, instead of updating every 2-3 years and leaving their older riders out in the cold (*cough*HONDA*cough*).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the other hand, why couldn't Kawi just tell us they were bringing back an old favorite, instead giving out with all this "new and updated" PR? I think it's a beautiful bike too, and if it's really geared to the sport touring set, that's just fine, but it would be nice if they were honest to those long time customers they're supposed to be so faithful to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey. No wads in MY undies either way.

“previous rebadged model (ZX-6E)” OK, I can see that you might see it as “rebadged”, but it was an anomaly unique to the US that the ZZR 600 was badged the ZX-6, while since the D model first came out it was a ZZR elsewhere, so that would be and alignment not a rebadge – it’s not like some ‘other’ bike carried the name before.

Your point on getting a good bike at a budget price is a good one, and a well known concept. Over here, various car manufacturers do that – you can still buy a Golf 1 brand new even though Golf 5 is on the market. They use funky colours and pitch them at the youth / second car buyers. Of course they are not as cheap as they SHOULD be, but that is another story.

For me it is just not a ZZR. It does not encompass the essence of what “ZZR” means to me. Why did they not rebadge the ZX6R as some ‘new’ name, dunno, ZRR, ZR6, ZXS-6, there must be some TLA’s starting in Z that have not been used and still sound cool?

:wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can see your point, Brett. In the rest of the world the bike has always been known as the ZZR-600, but I guess here in the U.S. they thought they'd get more sales if it had the Ninja moniker, but finally changed it to match the rest of the world.

As for the new one, I wouldn't say it isn't a ZZR, but once again, the term ZZR is different here in the States. I see it falling in perfectly as a sibling to the ZZR-1200. That 1200 is based on the ZX-11 Ninja, has great perfomance tuned for everyday type riding with slightly nicer ergonomics than the supersport version. I see the older ZX-6R/new ZZR600 matching up perfectly to it. It just seems like a natural extension to me. It would be different if the ZZR-1200 were a true touring mount, but it isn't, it's a sport tourer with a serious sport edge. When I think of supersport touring with a touring edge I think of the Kawi Concours with its shaft drive, large fuel tank, and hard bags that come stock. I wouldn't have badged the 98-02 ZX-6R as a Concours-600 because they don't share a lot of the same characteristics, but I think the ZZR-1200 and new ZZR-600 do.

As for your question Samurai, maybe they did do a good bit of redesigning. Maybe they tuned the engine for more midrange torque and less top end rush, made the suspension a bit more plush instead of race track stiff, lessened up on the racer ergos for more comfort, who knows? I think it is possible. Maybe they just took and existing platform that could be considered a sport tourer back then and just shifted its focus slightly to make it into one. I really don't know, I think that would be a question for someone who has ridden both to answer, they could contrast and compare the two models. Though they may look the same maybe they're not quite as alike as we think.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back to square one

Well, there you have it; which brings me back to my original observation. I think the bike looks very nice, and the idea appears to be a sound one. Also, with 2 cutting edge 600's already in the mix (600, 636 sport bikes), I hope Kawasaki's claims for this bike are for real. Even with the price increase, a redesigned "sporty" bike, configured more for all round use, plus a little sport touring, would be a great addition to the 600 class. It would go a long way toward providing the answer for those of us looking for something less specialized, and more versatile.

·
Registered
30 Posts
it's the exact same thing as the 2002 ZX-6E

so if you buy it gg you are buyng a bran new 3 year old bike =)

p.s. did a crap load of reaserch on it as that was the bike i was planing on buying

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, I like it. It's a little more my style. Cuz I'm so big, and my back can't take being racked up on a zx6.

Sam

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SO...

So now we see a redone bike...not so bad, but I'd rather have the 2004 model...it is a true touring bike compared to the 2005...check it out if you have the inclination... Now if we could only get the ZZ-R250, or a real sportbike in a 250cc package, Kawasaki could sell some serious bikes...Okay then redo some things already on the EX250 and call it a Z250...something has to give...maybe me, but not without making some noise...while the S.Koreans are bringing out cheaper, and less expensive bikes...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I am very, very intersted in this bike over the 636 for my next bike!! I like the style, the weight of it, the color....the specs look good!! I think the price is decent too.

But, being a "sorta" new bike, I am thinking of waiting one more year, when all the "bugs" are out of it and the 2005 go on sale when the 2006 come out.....plus it would give me one more year of riding experience w/my Ninja 500.

Just voicing out loud!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts