Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got this bike for my dad for $500 and im trying to get it going for him. The bike has been sitting 2 years since it last ran we put a new battery in and it fired right up with lots of black smoke and out of the exhaust ran for about a min and shut off but will continue start the fuel pump is working how it should but we noticed that the last 2 cylinders near the intake were leaking gas there are no tears in the boots so they have to be loading up im assuming also the bike runs rough not on all 6 for sure. The po said it started run rough toward the end of the last season he rode it. So i guess what im asking is this something that is a common issue? this is alot bigger bike and way more complex than bikes i have worked on the past and dont even have a clue where to start besides coils or maybe injectors any help would be greatly appreciated forgot to mention the bike has 34000 miles on it

·
ENDORSED
161 Posts
tj:

You'll want to buy the manual and start troubleshooting from there, also, there may be a suppliment for the DFI that will delb more detail into the FI system. Try the online auctions to locate one, nothing like having all of the information in front of you to locate these problems and to properly service this bike. A wiring schematic will be valuable to eliminate the guess work out of the electrical connections.

Without the manul the most common misfires on these bikes are, fuel or ignition related. (Not a profuond statement)

With the engine running, take an I.R. thermometer, or a spray bottle of water and squirt the exhuast downtubes, to see which cylinders are not firing.

Coils fire two cyl's at a time, 1-6/ 2/5 and 3/4 respectively. If you notice two cyl's not firing in one of those groups, you may have an ignition issue. Kawasaki coils often split on these models.

Given the age of the bike, one at a time, start opening up each electrical connector to check the front and back for corrosion. OEM connectors are available from Z1 Enterprises, a good resource.

Be careful while doing this, with the plastic being this old, it is very possible to break a connector. Use Deox or suitable electrical contact cleaner to clean the connections.

To see if the injectors are firing, use a stethescope and listen for a clicking sound at each injector. A basic way to see if the ECU is commanding the injector to go on and off. (Doesn't verify timing but is a down and dirty way to see if the switch is opening and closing.)

Per the kz1300 website. DON'T DO TOO MUCH TO THIS BIKE, UNTILL YOU HAVE THE MODIFIED CAM CHAIN TENSIONER!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently got this bike for my dad for $500 and im trying to get it going for him. The bike has been sitting 2 years since it last ran we put a new battery in and it fired right up with lots of black smoke and out of the exhaust ran for about a min and shut off but will continue start the fuel pump is working how it should but we noticed that the last 2 cylinders near the intake were leaking gas there are no tears in the boots so they have to be loading up im assuming also the bike runs rough not on all 6 for sure. The po said it started run rough toward the end of the last season he rode it. So i guess what im asking is this something that is a common issue? this is alot bigger bike and way more complex than bikes i have worked on the past and dont even have a clue where to start besides coils or maybe injectors any help would be greatly appreciated forgot to mention the bike has 34000 miles on it
thats not high millage for that bike i use to work on them some sounds like you just hsve flot valves sticking and flooding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts