Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm Back
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This usually starts to happen when I need to change my oil and then it got to the point last night where I just could not get it into first or nuetral at all. I changed the oil this morning and it was much better but still pretty rough getting into first. I have to keep pushing the gear down with my foot and popping the second gear out to get it into first. My question is, is this the clutch plates? spring? or something else. I have a 2007 900 custom with 32,500 miles. Almost all miles are stop and go traffic so I am thinking it's about time for the clutch but want to ask for advice before I start replacing stuff.

Thank you all for your help/comments/experience

·
Registered
187 Posts
well i have noticed on my mean streak that if the bike doesnt warmup befor i start riding that its real ***** about 1st to nutral.

Now as for a clutch job, if ur doing it at home besure to get exrat oil to soak the plates in and do that for a good 24 hours. and when u order them be sure the store gets u the right ones. nothing like getting 2 sets of plates and no disk, also look in to after market i like my barrnet alot but its real stiff so its all about feel.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
often overlooked, the trans is designed to go down gears while rolling, it will be a pain in the a$$ to go from second to first while stopped sometimes.

If you find your stopped in second and the trans wont downshift sometimes letting out the clutch to the friction zone then pulling in on the clutch again will help

·
Registered
264 Posts
With mine, I have found it likes the oil level to be closer to the midway point in the sight glass than toward the top. My first change I filled it up more, and the clutch stuck when getting going in the morning. Sometimes even killing the engine when going into gear. I only fill to 1/2 up the glass now and it is happy.

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.