Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with HCI helmets. I was at a local shop today, and they have a pretty decent looking HCI 77 Full Face helmet that fits me and is the color that I want. The only thing I am concerned about is the price. It was only $65, and seems to have similar features to some $350 helmets. So what's the missing link in this equation? It's a DOT certified helmet. The visor looks to be a pretty typical design and seems to work pretty well and the indents are pretty solid. The helmet also has an internal flip-down sun visor.

The big reason I am considering this helmet is that it actually fits me. I have a large head, and a lot of helmets I have tried on fit, but my chin is pressed up against the front, which is to say the least pretty uncomfortable. The only other FF I have found that fits is the Shoei RF-1000, which is almost $350 more expensive (which I really can't swing right now). So, I am just wondering if this helmet is worth getting? Has anyone else owned this helmet before? What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
I wore a modular HCI for several years. I liked it and wanted to get another just like it as a replacement, but couldn't find one locally. After a couple of years one of the cheek pads didn't want to stay snapped in place and the little vent in front never stayed closed. Other than that, it was good. I liked the way it fit.

·
Kawman
40 Posts
I think you will find the $350.00 helmets are fiberglass or carbonfiber and the HCI will be some type of plactic. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing but the fiberglass or advance composite ones are lighter and some stronger. They all would meet standards but the composite types would exceede the requirements. I am not an expert but that is just what I have come to believe, anyone else with more knowledge please chime in.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the HCI helmet a couple weeks back. After about 2 days, the nose guard came off (was barely glued in place and has no snap in locking feature to hold it in place) and the flip down inner visor jammed up and would not come down. I took the liner out and I could see where the visor hinge on the left side had actually chewed up the hard inner lining. Kinda scary.

I managed to find a smokin deal on a Shoei RF-1000 at a local dealer. Picked it up for around $250, and it is much more comfortable. I am going to hang on to the HCI I think as a backup helmet or a passenger helmet if I ever need one that big. But after owning it for a couple weeks, I am sketched out about making it my primary helmet.

·
Sick Puppy
3,210 Posts
I picked up a pair of full face HCI for both of us (wife & I) DOT and Snell rated. We both felt they were very comfortable, nice venting. I think that these are the most important things.

They need to be safe and if they're not comfortable you'll be distracted while riding.

Brain Fart: I have HJC helmets. Sorry for misinformation:oops:

·
Registered
124 Posts
They are okay. Low-midrange. My lady has had a ton of thew company's half-helmets. I find the brand doesn't fit me well and doesn't seem to match the construction of a Shoei, which is the lid I'd recommend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts