Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1500 Classic had a F&S windscreen on it when I bought it. Based on my experience with the windscreen on my 800A, I wasn't expecting any head buffeting. But if I go very fast (>50mph), I get quite a bit of buffeting. Today I realized that my neck actually hurt by the time I got home from my 20-minute ride from work. :( I have fibromyalgia, and this is pretty disconcerting.

I looked on the web tonight, trying to find some solutions. I thought that perhaps my windshield needs to be a bit taller. I measured it, but I can't tell where you're supposed to measure from--from the headlamp cutout to the top of the windshield or from the very bottom of the windshield to the top. If it's from the very bottom to the top, my windshield is 20+ inches already, so I don't see how I can go any bigger. I tried to see if there was a way to adjust the tilt, but it doesn't seem to be adjustable. I'm wondering if there's any solution for this problem.

Also, I mentioned to my friend, an ABATE instructor, that I wanted to get lowers for my new bike, but she said that hard, inflexible lowers can affect a big bike's handling. I had them on my smaller bike without noticing any difference, but this bike is a lot bigger. She recommended getting fabric covers that fit over the highway bars. Does anyone have an opinion about this? I'm kind of at a loss. I do quite a bit of cold-weather riding, so I would like to keep as much wind off me as possible, but I certainly don't want to affect the bike's handling.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The "helpless" woman with way too many questions :D

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Put on lowers "of your choice" and you'll stop 95% of your buffeting problem. Ask me how I know. :wink:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Follow Up:

I have "Serious Doubts" about lowers affecting the handling of a cruiser bike. I cannot tell any difference in handling "before and after" I put on Fire n Steal lowers....except of course....no more buffeting.

I have had 2 neck fusions which involved the 5th, 6th, and 7th vertebrae. I am 6'5" tall so I sit higher than others and I have the large F&S Vulcan windshiled on my bike and as soon as I got the lowers installed......no more neck aches. :D

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, whistle clean. That reinforces what I thought, but I just wasn't sure. It can't hurt to try, though, huh? I think I'll order some and give it a try.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
jukief....Since you "NEED" as much comfort and protection as you can get while riding.....you'll quickly thank yourself for spending the money on the lowers. It's amazing how huge of a difference they make.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Julie,

Almost all of the time height is measured from the headlight cutout to the top of the windsheield. I think a saw a post somewhere about lowers that said if riding at speed, around 50 or so, if you bring your left arm up around your chest and feel the wind, they're needed. It does seem to make sense, at least to me, that this would be wind coming up from under the shield. This might be one of those things that just has to be tried in conjunction with adjusting the height of the shield.
One other thing, would be to try some of the aftermarket shield lips(laminar(?)) that are supposed to help with airflow and buffeting. I can't remember the names of the them but their usually advertised in some of the bike mags. I find shields one of the accessoreies that hardest to get set up to ones personal preferences. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.
Bill

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
lowers

julie
i agree that the lowers will help you a lot. i am confused why your friend said that they would affect the handling, but even more confused why she thought the crash bar covers would help you. obviously i have factory lowers on my nomad. i have ridden with and without them with no differences to that affect. and we all know that i tend to ride my bike a little fast, i so i would know if they affected it. most nomad owners that i know of, actually put larger lowers on to get rid of the buffeting that comes with the factory ones. i cannot do this, as i am running F&S driving lights which prohibit larger lowers. i would go ahead with the lowers, i think you will be pleased. good luck.
david

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Julie the rest of the guy's explained your shield an lower's question's. So I'll tell you about the engine gaurd chaps, these will help alot when riding in cool or cold weather, keep's the wind off your legs big time, they will even make your leg's get warm when the temp rises . here's a link to one brand http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/page/L/CTGY/KAWASAKI hope this help's.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone. You guys are the best!

You've convined me. I'm going to order the lowers.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
i put the F&S lowers on after my head buffeting problems. I still have a small problem with the wind, you might want to look for larger lowers like the ones Moxy have.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those look really great. Thanks, 1600Cruiser!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts