Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I got my helmet today from Head Trip (ACC). It has the Head hugger restraint system on it. Bottom line, I like it. It is very comfortable and secure. It is available for both the DOT helmets and the Novelty helmets at no additional cost as per Erin at Head Trip. I was going to take a quick ride down the highway with it, but it started pouring rain just after it came. As soon as the weather breaks I will make the run and tell you how it feels and if it helps with the choking feeling standard 4 point systems can have on some people (that is why I ordered this one).

The only modification I made was there is a TON of extra slack for the part that adjusts the back pad. I got it to where I needed it and I cut it then burned the end. I left more than enough slack just incase but now I won't have a tail blowing in the wind.

Now this helmet is a Novelty. Rich has a DOT. IF Rich would be kind enough to post the pictures of his in this thread people can see the difference. Also Rich could you post a picture of the liner to show the difference in tickness?

I hope this helps people interested in this new system. Again it is much comfortable than the standard system. I have an excellent feeling about the test ride (**** rain).

On another note, I got the Black Candy and man is it a nice color. The website pictures do not do it justice.

Advanced Carbon Composites

Respectfully,

Mike

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Gonna have to get some new shots... mine is the polo, and the only shots that I have are a 3/4 front view so it's hard to see the profile with the visor sticking out.

I think I deleted the comparison shot showing the padding thickness compared to my Shoei and Zox lids.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm definitely interested in hearing (reading) more about how this system works in practice, please keep us updated if possible.

It looks to me like any lift would pull that strap edge right under your earlobe up into your ear? Really looks like its already cutting into there?

Thanks!

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm definitely interested in hearing (reading) more about how this system works in practice, please keep us updated if possible.

It looks to me like any lift would pull that strap edge right under your earlobe up into your ear? Really looks like its already cutting into there?

Thanks!
Nope on my head the strap is actually loose right buy the ear, but the back pad is snug at the base of my skull. I could probably tighten it more but It is comfortable the way I have it, yet secure. You also have to rember that stap is looped around the front strap. It is not sewn directly to the front strap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What protection does a novelty helmet provide? I don't wear a helmet because the dot one I have is very uncomfortable and blows my head around all over. The novelty ones look much better but it seems like it wouldn't do much except maybe keep your head from scraping the road, other than that it doesn't look like it offers any impact protection.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What protection does a novelty helmet provide? I don't wear a helmet because the dot one I have is very uncomfortable and blows my head around all over. The novelty ones look much better but it seems like it wouldn't do much except maybe keep your head from scraping the road, other than that it doesn't look like it offers any impact protection.
i was reading on there website that there non-dot helmet passed every dot test execept the puncture test, so if you fell off and smacked your head on the ground you might be ok, but if there is a pole of some sorts your f#$%ed. i bought the novelty and i love it.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was reading on there website that there non-dot helmet passed every dot test execept the puncture test, so if you fell off and smacked your head on the ground you might be ok, but if there is a pole of some sorts your f#$%ed. i bought the novelty and i love it.
X2

The Puncture test is a joke to begin with. They use it with a lot of helmet tests for various groups including our fire department helmets and their OSHA tests. Technically leather fire helmets that a lot of departments allow you to wear don't pass the puncture test either, but if a steel beam falls on my head with a spike I can tell you I'm probably going to die due to my head being shoved down though my a$$. Basically they drop a weighted ball that has a spike on it into the helmet. Well you can determine the end result.

Head Trip helmets both the Novelty and the DOT are made from the same 50/50 blend of Carbon and Kevlar. They both also use the same ensolite foam. The DOT uses a slightly thicker layer of the ensolite compared to the Novelty. That is why I asked Rich if he could post a picture of his liner since he has the Head Trip DOT version. The difference in price is the Novelty is around $130 +/- depending on paint options and add ons. The DOT is 189 +/- add ons.

Mine came to $136 even, with shipping and the Candy Black.

Unless you run into a spiked fence, a half helmet's basic function is to spread the impact zone over a wide area and absorb it. It isn't going to protect your face, neck, chin, and so forth. Most people unless they are nieve understand that.

With the Head Trip helmet DOT or Novelty, again you get the same durable Kevlar/Carbon Shell which is really light and strong compared to the standard fiberglass shell, and the Ensolite foam is just as good as the other foam (which is pretty much styrofoam) but can be a thinner thickness to function the same when compared to standard helmets.

The other cheap novelty helmets you see for like 30 bucks usually have some type of cloth on the inside and that is about it. No foam, and not this Ensolite.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, can the head hugger system be removed if you dont like it?
I would imagine but you would have to send it back to Head trip. It looks, just from what I can see, to be the same mounting points as the standard 4 point harness.

The brief conversation I had with the salesgirl Erin they seem to be as helpful as they can. I have read on other forums that the same thing that they are and Erin's name always comes up. I wouldn't hurt to ask when you call them and more than likely you will speak with Erin....lol

Bottom line with their customer service is they want you to be happy so your buddies come back and order one.

This is also the only place I have seen where you can return a helmet for a full refund minus the shipping if you are not satisfied with the helmet.

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts
I would imagine but you would have to send it back to Head trip. It looks, just from what I can see, to be the same mounting points as the standard 4 point harness.

The brief conversation I had with the salesgirl Erin they seem to be as helpful as they can. I have read on other forums that the same thing that they are and Erin's name always comes up. I wouldn't hurt to ask when you call them and more than likely you will speak with Erin....lol

Bottom line with their customer service is they want you to be happy so your buddies come back and order one.

This is also the only place I have seen where you can return a helmet for a full refund minus the shipping if you are not satisfied with the helmet.
Thanks.......i just dont understand what it is supposed to do.....how will it keep the helmet from moving if the wind is coming from the front?
and what is the difference b/w the black candy and the regular cf?

Robb

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.......i just dont understand what it is supposed to do.....how will it keep the helmet from moving if the wind is coming from the front?
and what is the difference b/w the black candy and the regular cf?

Robb
It is basically a more comfortable harness that is effective. The wind coming form the front is not going to affect it. You head is in it. :mrgreen:. The strap is still attaching at 4 points and under your chin.

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts
It is basically a more comfortable harness that is effective. The wind coming form the front is not going to affect it. You head is in it. :mrgreen:. The strap is still attaching at 4 points and under your chin.
I just wanted to know what it is intended to do? im curious, bc sometimes the wind catches the front of my helmet and pushes it up a little bit.....8)

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to know what it is intended to do? im curious, bc sometimes the wind catches the front of my helmet and pushes it up a little bit.....8)
Gotcha, yeah the front strap that goes under the chin is what keeps the helmet down.

The problem some people have with the traditional 4 point on half helmets is they ended up getting choked because the strap doesn't truely come under the chin and is more at an angle. This set up elimitates that.

It is supposed to stop raining tomorrow so I will get out for a fast paced ride and let you know the final verdict.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The wind coming from the front is attempting to lift the helmet.
If anything, this new design is better, because it focuses the strap's hold-down force more forward.
The point of the system is to move the chin strap forward to reduce the "strangulation" feeling that people with larger necks experience.

Pictures that I have online right now...

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/lid1.jpg
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/lid2.jpg

Trying to find the comparison shots.

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts
Gotcha, yeah the front strap that goes under the chin is what keeps the helmet down.

The problem some people have with the traditional 4 point on half helmets is they ended up getting choked because the strap doesn't truely come under the chin and is more at an angle. This set up elimitates that.

It is supposed to stop raining tomorrow so I will get out for a fast paced ride and let you know the final verdict.
thanks..i get it now.......im awaiting your high speed review now........:D

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts
The wind coming from the front is attempting to lift the helmet.
If anything, this new design is better, because it focuses the strap's hold-down force more forward.
The point of the system is to move the chin strap forward to reduce the "strangulation" feeling that people with larger necks experience.

Pictures that I have online right now...

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/lid1.jpg
http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/vulcan/lid2.jpg

Trying to find the comparison shots.
Thanks, how do you like the ear flaps? im contemplating them.....do they cut down on the wind noise? do they cause you to be hotter at all? and do you like the extra chin pad/strap?

thanks,
Robb

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Thanks, how do you like the ear flaps? im contemplating them.....do they cut down on the wind noise? do they cause you to be hotter at all? and do you like the extra chin pad/strap?
I cut them off.

I was having some high frequency hearing loss last spring, and I attributed it to some antibiotics I was taking, but I noticed that it was much worse after riding. After I was off of them, it improved slightly (bug was gone so I no longer had the "plugged up" feeling), but it was still noticeable.

Bought some good earplugs, used them a couple of times but it didn't help much. When I went to Red Lodge, I shed the helmet the 2nd day after we got into Utah. 2,000 miles with no helmet and no hearing issues. On the way home, put the lid back on when we crossed into Nevada and by the time we got to Vegas it was an issue again.
Cut the flaps off when I got home and haven't had a problem since.

They sit out just far enough away from my head that they actually funnel the wind INTO my ears from the area where my glasses pass through. The same is true for my Shoei if I wear the neck curtain and my Zox unless I put in the full earmuffs.

The chin pad was nice, but it was a bit of a pain. My head is pretty narrow, so I run the straps pulled WAY in and the end of the pad was hitting the quick release on the left side which put the pad a little off-center. Ended up cutting it off too.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyone know if headtrip will ( or any other co.) make a polo that can be worn backwards??? still hate the thought of that much for a novelty but i gotta admit the look pretty flippin sweet
The Polo might work as is. I just tried my Extended half on backwards and the only thing I had to do was move the adjustable pads on the side around.

You would have to use the regular 4 point or see if they could flip the regular 4 point or Head hugger system around for you. They may do it.

Rich flip that thing on backwards and take a picture....lol

1 - 20 of 101 Posts