Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup peeps. did a lil' reading up on header wraps, pro-cons. heard ceramic might be better. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've explored them in a car application where there weren't headers available for the engine I was modding. In a nut shell, header wraps help keep surrounding engine components cooler and in the case of a car engine...the entire engine bay is cooler. They also help hold in the heat in the exhaust manifold/header so that you have faster exhaust gas velocities. The downsided I've heard about them is that there's been cracking problems with cast iron exhaust manifolds and on headers some issues can result with water getting into the header wrap material which affects the metal underneath. I've also explored another alternative which to me is the best way to go....Jet Hot Coatings. They put on a pretty durable coating that gives you the benefits of header wraps with an attractive finish. It's pretty expensive though so you'll have to weigh the cost vs. benefits.

·
Registered
78 Posts
erm, this might be a silly question but doesnt the fact that you are going forwards at a fairly high velocity keep your engine bay cool? i mean 100mph+ winds racing past tend to keep me fairly cool.

·
Registered
95 Posts
erm, this might be a silly question but doesnt the fact that you are going forwards at a fairly high velocity keep your engine bay cool
On a bike ,yes. In a car, the hood prevents very much airflow coming from underneath, and the air coming through the radiator has already dragged a bunch of engine heat along with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts