Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got one this winter and installed it for spring. I find myself using it whenever I "feel" I am not being seen - or, of course, that car on the cross roads looking to pull out.

But, for some reason, I keep flicking it back off. Not just at redlights or parking lots.

I gues a big part of this is that I have NOT SEEN ONE on another vehicle - ZERO TIMES in years.

How come so very few people people go for such a dang effective way of getting noticed device? Especially with the Kisan I bought at under 100 and plug and play?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have not seen anyone with one since a poker run last year. I have to say it was annoying with him behind me. I did notice him however.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I have not seen anyone with one since a poker run last year. I have to say it was annoying with him behind me. I did notice him however.
I find them annoying as well...though, again, you do notice them.

Personally, I just stick with my 'free' high beams :-D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Mines on most all the time during the day. I see them coming the other way even before I see other motorcycles and I, unlike other drivers, am looking for motorcycles. Heck, I even saw a guy on a reclined bicycle that was so small yesterday my wife was amazed I saw the thing and then asked if he was riding a toy. He was just barreling through cross traffic which granted, he had the light but the last lane is a left hand turn/merge lane and he came popping out from in front of a pickup truck, you couldn't see him until he was there. If I had plowed over him its 50/50 if anyone else would have noticed or just thought there was a speed bump there.

Turn it on, leave it on. Riding around with your high beams on is illegal.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Personally I HATE them. I hate driving and some a$$ on his bike has one behind me and all I can see in the mirror is his flashing lights. Drives me nuts. And I'm not even sure they are safer because I had a guy in my side view mirror using them last year and ended up adjusting my mirror so I could not see him at all. Have someone do that while they are talking and texting on their cell phone and it'll be about .05 seconds before they forget you are even there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had a guy (friend of mine) turn in front of me the other day. Said he never saw me. I've been considering one since then. What's the easiest one to hook up on my 07 1500?

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
:worthless:

(Seriously, is it just another light ramp you're talking about, or something else?)

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I just finished putting a Cobra light bar on my bike to increase front visibility. While I think modulators are effective, I think it's in a way that annoys other drivers.

And frankly, I think they're a bit dorky.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
It makes your head lights flash.
Ah, thanx. 8)
Well, to have the front light flash feels pretttty annoying, doesn't it? :mrgreen:
Having the break light flash when breaking on the other hand feels both okay and pretty useful.

·
Registered
644 Posts
A blinking light is much less annoying than a tire track over your midsection.

That being said, I do turn mine off when traveling in groups.

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In a group, red light, parking lot, my little town, or in a line of cars, I turn it off.

On the open road, with cars on cross streets, it seems to be a better time for making sure they know you are there AND the annoyance factor is only a few seconds (minute?)

As for pics, here is the product I chose - simply due to the plug and play and the ability to have it on or off at the flick of a button:
https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

There are cheaper, but I like the idea of not splicing wires and the control.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I see riders with them once and a while. The reason I really take note is because I quickly glance in my side mirror (as people do when they're about to change lanes), or a glance down a cross street before pulling out and almost dont notice the bike there because in that moment that I looked the light was in the 'off' cycle. Every time I see that I think to myself i wouldn't want one of those because I would end up being the one put in danger by someone that just made that quick glance and didnt see me due to the light not shining at that moment.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
A blinking light is much less annoying than a tire track over your midsection.

That being said, I do turn mine off when traveling in groups.
Yeah but we ask for respect from people in cars but then we want to annoy them with flashing bright lights in their mirrors.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yeah but we ask for respect from people in cars but then we want to annoy them with flashing bright lights in their mirrors.

Well I will turn mine off when people stop,texting and talking on there cell,and start paying attention to the road, mine is off at night!

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Turn it on, leave it on. Riding around with your high beams on is illegal.
No its not. Its legal to ride with your high beams anytime headlights are NOT required (in otherwords, anytime a headlight modulator is legal). Looked it up for Missouri law for a thread awhile back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I will turn mine off when people stop,texting and talking on there cell,and start paying attention to the road, mine is off at night!
Agree with Tom..... I have them on my Sportbike, Cruiser and Scooter and find them effective. Have seen bikers with them periodically. I keep mine off unless I perceive that there is an issue.... intersections, cars looking like the are going to pull out from sideroads, driveways trying to beat me (we know by the rocking of the car)... etc. Useful but yet not a guarantee... I've had people pull out anyway... but it helps most times. I never use when I'm behind anyone for a long period of time.... that can be annoying and is kind of unwarranted.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
How come so very few people people go for such a dang effective way of getting noticed device? Especially with the Kisan I bought at under 100 and plug and play?
I think modulators are illegal in a lot of states. Might have something to do with it. I see them every now and then in GA, although I think they're actually illegal here, too. One of those things I doubt a cop would every actually stop you for.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I think modulators are illegal in a lot of states. Might have something to do with it. I see them every now and then in GA, although I think they're actually illegal here, too. One of those things I doubt a cop would every actually stop you for.
They're legal:

"This Federal law supersedes all state laws and makes motorcycle headlight modulators legal in all 50 states."

Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - webBikeWorld

·
Once I had $$ now a bike
115 Posts
Modulators are legal by Federal Law and supersedes all state laws, Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - webBikeWorld is a write up on it and the Kisan web site has the exact federal law so you can download and print. Carry a copy with me everywhere. I would not pull up behind any one with bright light on, or run in a pack with it on, so not an issue, use it when needed.

"Cool" is getting to your destanation Safely, everything else is just opinion.

Ride Safe.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts