Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight went out the other day, and I thougt the fuse had blown but it didn't. I also checked the bulb, and it looked OK. All other lights on the bike work. I found a problem like mine on the kawasaki gadget's fixit page, and tried the solution on emergency headlight repair by jumping a wire from a hot empty slot in the junction box to the wire coming from the junction box that is the headlight wire, and the light came on, It stayed on even after i removed the jumper wire until i turned the ignition off. When I restarted the engine without the jumper wire the headlight would not come on. Do you think the problem is in the junctin box. I took the back off the junction box, and all I saw was a circuit board. Does this box also contain the Headlight relay, and if so can only that be relaced?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Does sound like the relay has gone in the junction-box, the only cure they would have you believe is a new box but it must be possible to wire in a switch for the lamp, bypassing the j-box.

I know a lad here in the UK regularly messes about with the boxes (on ZX9s etc) so a repair must be possible, sorry i'm no electrical expert.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks but I don't have a meter, and wouldn't know how to use it if I did! I'm almost certain I'll end up having to get another junction box praying that's where the probem is because once you hook it up it's yours.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
If you installed the jumper, the headlight came on, you removed the jumper and the headlight remained on, it is a very good chance that the headlight relay is OK. There is a pull and hold on that relay which seems to work.
I am suspecting you may have a regulator/rectifier or connection problem. You would definitely need a meter to check this out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried another junction box on my bike today. I took one off of another 1500 fi. same number and all but the light still didn't come on when the bike was cranked. I've tried the fuse, the light bulb, and now the junction box. I guess the only thing left is the regulator/rectifier huh? But which one is it. The one in the front under the radiator or on the back just behind the oil pan?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
You are to the point that trouble shooting the problem is mandatory, or it will get very expensive fast! If you are not comfortable doing this, then a trip to the dealer might be your best bet.
Guess work will make you poor and your headlight will still be dark.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replay. So far It hasn't cost my anything. But I'm about ready to take it to a dealer. One last question. Do the regulator/ rectifiers come in a set for the kawasaki?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts