Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I've used these Symtec wrap around grip heaters on a lot of our bikes and they work well. They also let you re-use your old grips, if you can get them off without destroying them.

Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.: Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater Kit w/round rocker switch

Not sure where you're located, but just make sure you get motorcycle heaters, NOT ATV heaters. The ATV heaters will get too hot and melt your throttle tube.

I personally prefer the wraparound grips over the ones that come with the heater molded into a set of grips like the hot grips. I have the molded in ones on my Honda and the grips are too hard.

Another option that gets rave reviews from many Buell owners is PollyGrips, these insert into your handlebar so are nice in that there is no exposed wire to break, but not sure if they'd work with clip-ons or your bar end weights.
Polly Heaters Inc. - PH400

I would recommend the wrap around type for cost, ease of installation etc. They're pretty strait forward to install but count on a couple hours to do a nice neat install. I would highly recommend running the grip heaters through a relay, that way you protect your electrics and also ensure that your grip heaters get a full 12+ volts so heat up as much as they were designed to.

Buy a heated grip kit from Eastern Beaver and he has good instructions to walk you through it.
Motorcycle Heated Grip Relay Kits, cheap Worldwide Shipping

There's also lots of good write-ups on the web about installing the wrap around heaters, just google "heated grip kit install". Good luck, you'll love them once you have them and wonder why you didn't do it years ago. :)

Ask away if you have any questions.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
what ever you choose they do work BUT you will have to have some kind of wind deflection to really get the effects.I have heated grips but they are not enough.I just ordered some hand guards to keep the wind off.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good point t conroy. I have modified Wee Strom deflectors on the Versys, the Connie is faired well enough on it's own. Even when the temps drop into the 30's I seldom set them higher than three.

Dan

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
You can get then from Cycle Gear and Aerostich.
Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Apparel, Parts and Accessories
Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

I have heated grips, and I wish I had gone for heated gloves, instead. My palms are toasted and the backs of my hands as well as my fingers (especially my thumbs) are frozen.
I have both. I like having heated grips because they're available anytime, but yes when it's below -10C (14F) the heated grips don't even really warm up the bars, so that's when I wear my heated gloves as well. I wouldn't want *just* heated gloves though, cause they're bulky and rarely ever get carried on trips etc.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Good point t conroy. I have modified Wee Strom deflectors on the Versys, the Connie is faired well enough on it's own. Even when the temps drop into the 30's I seldom set them higher than three.

Dan
The grips I have are the ones were the heating elements are actually in the grips not inside the bars.They work very well and have a thermostat that mounts on the handlebar.It is chrome and looks good.When I get my NC handgaurds I will take pics to show everyone.Some say they dont think they will look good but when I can ride in the cold they are worth it no matter what.they are the clear ones with chrome peices that hold them on just like the ones on the oem lowers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes sir. A buddy of mine with a VLX has had that setup for two years and is very happy with it. The Oxfords are similar but the controller is electronic.

This was last year at about 1 in the morning on my way home.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.