Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum and a first time motorcycle owner, so I don't know much about motorcycles. I bought a used 2000 zx750 a month ago knowing that the exhaust system has heavy gasoline smell coming out of it when the bike is started. The previous owner said that I need to get a Jet kit installed to correct the problem, but i'm not too convince of that. Can someone give me some advices/comments/suggestions. Thank you.

Btw, the bike has new Spark plugs, and oil changed.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Hi I'm new to this forum and a first time motorcycle owner, so I don't know much about motorcycles. I bought a used 2000 zx750 a month ago knowing that the exhaust system has heavy gasoline smell coming out of it when the bike is started. The previous owner said that I need to get a Jet kit installed to correct the problem, but i'm not too convince of that. Can someone give me some advices/comments/suggestions. Thank you.

Btw, the bike has new Spark plugs, and oil changed.
Gas smell could be:

1) A plug not firing. Bike would run very rough.

2) Running rich:

a) wrong size jets

b) float levels too high

c) carburetor problems in general

Does it have aftermarket headers or airboxes? That's what screws up the carburetor settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reponse bountyhunter.

The only aftermarket part on this bike is the exhaust system. so does this mean installing the jet kit would most likely fix the problem?

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Thanks for the quick reponse bountyhunter.

The only aftermarket part on this bike is the exhaust system. so does this mean installing the jet kit would most likely fix the problem?
I am not sure. Does yours have carburetors or fuel injection? I thought the newer 750's had FI. Only carburetors have jets.

The wierd thing is that aftermarket headers almost always make a bike run LEAN, never rich. If the problem is jets, it means somebody dropped in some big jets already and overshot the mark. You might start by asking the previous owner exactly what he did to it because that will almost certainly tell you what is screwed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Here an update on this post. two days ago, I bought my bike to the mechanic to have them install the jet kit. they call me back today and told me that my carbs is flooded and that I need to replace the jet needle. Isn't installing the jet kit replaces the jet needle as well? someone please give me some info on it. thanks

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Hi, Here an update on this post. two days ago, I bought my bike to the mechanic to have them install the jet kit. they call me back today and told me that my carbs is flooded and that I need to replace the jet needle. Isn't installing the jet kit replaces the jet needle as well? someone please give me some info on it. thanks
It is the float needlecausing the problem. Those come in a basic rebuild kit (along with all the gaskets, jets and such for the stock carb).

You might ask the guy to see the needle. If the tapered end is pitted or gunked up you can smooth it by turning it in a drill with some fine sandpaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts