Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Gee where do I start? I started thinking about getting a motorcycle back in 2006. I've never ridden one except for a friend's TTR125 dirtbike on a fire road, very briefly, about seven years ago. I've ridden ATVs and snowmobiles for years, though... sport quads as well as 4x4s.

So back then, I sat on a bunch of bikes and picked the Ninja 650R. It felt the best. I'm not that tall... 5'8 and a 30" inseam. Most bikes seem too wide, and I'm afraid of dropping it.

Now I'm living in SoCal and want to get a bike for commuting. I actually live fulltime in an RV (a 5th wheel toyhauler) and go where the work is, and the bike will fit in the trailer's garage along with the quads.

So I started researching bikes again. Today I went out and sat on a bunch more. I went to a Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawi dealer in Long Beach. I found the bike I want... an ER-6n. It felt even better than the 650R, though I sure wish it came in a color other than metallic blue. Oh well, it'll be cheap enough to repaint if I decide to.

So... they're running financing numbers for me (I'll know more Mon or Tue), and I just signed up for the MSF course for next weekend. It's probably good that it's supposed to rain most of next week. :)

But they agreed to price-match OTD Cyclesports in OC. I'll also check with my CU on Tuesday too.

But I wanted to go ahead and get the MSF course done before I ever attempt to ride a motorcycle on the streets. I'll also start shopping for proper gear this week.

I've been reading through the various "help" threads, like 50 ways to stay alive. Very good reading! I like to be thorough and be prepared. I'm 41, so I'm not looking to go out and start whipping around through traffic. I want to learn what I'm doing, and then go find places to get a feel for the bike, and practice, so I can be prepared just in case.

So anyway, there ya have it... :)

Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Since posting that, and searching around the 'net, I find myself reconsidering the 650R. I'll have to sit on it again. Why? Better wind protection, and colors. I'd probably get the red or green one in that event. Leaning towards the red.

Decisions, decisions.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome! I'm sure you'll fully enjoy whichever bike you decide to go with.

It rained ALL day on my second day of my MSF class, it was pretty awesome doing the swerving and emergency stopping in 2-3 inch puddles of water!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi Rob - Welcome to the forum. :) I'm pretty new at it myself (just took the MSF course in Sept and bought my bike in Oct. - never been on one before the course). It's definitely a GREAT idea to do the course before you take the bike out, glad to hear that's the route you're taking. Good luck with both the course and the purchase - be sure and show it off here when you find "the one". Take care!

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Thanks!

Since posting that, and searching around the 'net, I find myself reconsidering the 650R. I'll have to sit on it again. Why? Better wind protection, and colors. I'd probably get the red or green one in that event. Leaning towards the red.

Decisions, decisions.

Rob
Aahhh, these are the fun times . . . :biggrin: Good luck on your purchase and ride safe!

·
I miss you, Deron
19,766 Posts
You're definitely doing things in the right order--taking the MSF class first. In addition to that, I'd recommend that you spend a lot of time with your new bike on an empty parking lot, practicing the skills you learn in the class (slow-speed maneuvers, stopping, turning, etc.) before you ride in traffic. You want to feel very comfortable with the bike and know what it can do before you share the road with those crazy cagers!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Good luck choosing a new bike.

When I took my MSF course a few years ago, it rained and sleeted on the way to my first class!! :eek: LOL.

I'm sure you will learn alot at the class, just remember to RELAX and enjoy it and pay attention. You'll do fine.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,018 Posts
How do people get their bikes to empty parking lots with out riding in traffic? I'm not trying to be funny. People tell me that all the time and I always seem to end up in some sort of traffic, usually on my way back home. The only time parking lots in my area are empty is very early in the morning between sunrise and an hour after and the nearest nice lot is 5-6 miles away.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
How do people get their bikes to empty parking lots with out riding in traffic? I'm not trying to be funny. People tell me that all the time and I always seem to end up in some sort of traffic, usually on my way back home. The only time parking lots in my area are empty is very early in the morning between sunrise and an hour after and the nearest nice lot is 5-6 miles away.
A truck, trailer, bike carrier on your car or SUV, or have an experienced rider take it there and back for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody, for the warm welcome!

I'm gonna get the ER-6n. And they think my financing is done too (I'll know for sure tomorrow). I was at another dealer tonight looking at gear. If all goes well, I'll sign the papers Saturday evening after the first day of MSF class, and pick up some gear at the same time (jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, maybe boots if I have any $$ left). Then I'll have them drop the bike off at my house (which is actually an RV) on Monday.

Fortunately I live in a pretty calm neighborhood, so I figured I would just motor around there for a while before attempting any streets with traffic.

Just driving around the last few days I've been trying to "pretend" I'm on a bike and paying even more attention than I normally do (which is a lot, at least compared to most people). I watch the road surface more closely to see where I might want to position myself, I watch other cars more closely, etc.

There's a local Meetup group that does rides (meetup.com) so I've joined that, and they have a "meetup" planned for Feb 21st that I may attend, depending on how my skills and comfort level are by then.

Rob

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thanks everybody, for the warm welcome!

I'm gonna get the ER-6n. And they think my financing is done too (I'll know for sure tomorrow). I was at another dealer tonight looking at gear. If all goes well, I'll sign the papers Saturday evening after the first day of MSF class, and pick up some gear at the same time (jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, maybe boots if I have any $$ left). Then I'll have them drop the bike off at my house (which is actually an RV) on Monday.

Fortunately I live in a pretty calm neighborhood, so I figured I would just motor around there for a while before attempting any streets with traffic.

Just driving around the last few days I've been trying to "pretend" I'm on a bike and paying even more attention than I normally do (which is a lot, at least compared to most people). I watch the road surface more closely to see where I might want to position myself, I watch other cars more closely, etc.

There's a local Meetup group that does rides (meetup.com) so I've joined that, and they have a "meetup" planned for Feb 21st that I may attend, depending on how my skills and comfort level are by then.

Rob
Looks like things are rolling right along for you! That's great. :mrgreen: I will hold off on the *actual* congrats until you tell us that you own the bike so as not to jinx it. LOL

I spent the first two weeks in my neighborhood as well, it was soooo much great practice stopping and starting and turning with just enough cars thrown in but not too many to scare me so much. Then I moved out to a four lane "square" - still not much traffic but a little more than the neighborhood. I was very fortunate in that as soon as I was ready I had three friends that took me out a little further and further at the time - one in front and two behind and they would gently give me pointers or constructive criticism at every stop. I hope it works out the same for you. :) I don't have the experience to say this for sure....but be careful on those group rides right away if there are more than a few people or if you don't know them really, really wel....just at first and just my opinion. Other than that - I'm so excited for you!!!! Keep us posted. :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to the dealer, I'm officially approved! They gave me all the various terms they came up with, and it looks good.

They want me over Thursday morning to do the paperwork, though I may still put it off til after the first day of the MSF class on Saturday. I won't really be able to ride it til Monday morning, due to weather, and the fact that I WON'T ride it til I complete the class.

How long does it take to get the completion certificate? I'm not sure you get it on the spot. I'd be nice to head straight over to DMV on Mon or Tue and get my license done.

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the group. I just back into it after 25 + yr away, and I'm still signed up for the MSF class locally (next month) I figure things have changed since that last time I had the motorcycle endorsement. Enjoy it!!!

·
The little guy said it.
17,961 Posts
Man, that ER-6n is one sharp looker! Good luck with the purchase, every review I've seen regarding the bike is a good one.

·
Hardcore Poser
151 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the bike. They give you your certificate the same day you complete the class. Group rides are fun, but dangerous, especially with people that you don't know, as you do not know their riding style. Be careful with them, have fun but if they start to ride beyond your comfort level don't hesitate to wave goodbye and go your own route.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
^^^^ It depends on what group you ride with too. A smaller group will tend to be fast or slow. A larger group is always slower, as the lead is trying to keep everyone semi-close together. Be ready for the accordian effect though. Speed up to catch up and then hit the brakes because the guy in front doesn't hit his brakes, he just downshifts.

That is probably my biggest complaint of other motorcycle riders, not letting other riders/drivers know that they are stopping by using the brakes, which turns on the little light in the back! Kind of a neat feature once you get used to using it . . . 8^).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.