Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I went to Phoenix the other day and picked up a 1975 Kawasaki F7 175. I haven't rode a bike since the 80s and didn't want to fumble with the clutch test driving it so let him. It ran fine, I got it started for a minute but then figured out where the choke was on the left of bar. So that's where I am at.
I think I flooded it! Sorry for my ignorance. But I am here to learn.
I turned lever on (on right on /off). I turned the fuel tank throttle to on. I just think I didn't have choke open when it was running and flooded it. Now not sure if I got the spark plug wet, but probably. I let it sit over night and turned choke all the way on and tried to crank it over but won't.
Any videos for this beginning phase would be great. It's new to me, but exciting. Less than 6,000 miles. Got title! Looking forward to taking good care of it, but got it to go off road and explore. I just won't be beating on it like a kid in the 70s.
Would love and appreciate it if someone could show how to resolve this issue if i did flood it. I hope I don't have to go get a new spark plug already! Anyway, it's new, figuring out the seat, all that! Let the good times roll!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting pictures of your new ride. What a nice little bike! A real gem and it looks in very good condition.

Have you tried kicking it with the choke off while holding the throttle wide open? If that doesn't work, pull the plug and have a look. Kick it over a few times with the plug out. Test for spark and if all is good, put the plug back in and it should fire right up.

Oh yeah, if the plug looks dry and you have spark, then you better look at the petcock to see if it is really on or off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK shut off choke and did full throttle to no avail. I did check spark plug before I saw first comment, boot came off on back side, think i put it back on, don't think that was the issue. I think it's just flooded at the moment. So what does taking the spark plug out and trying to crank it over do? get air in there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to pick up an owners manual. But would anybody recommend a video for getting started on this bike? I see I have a steep learning curve going. I mean I get the carb, choke, but initially didn't pick up on it til it was too late. It's not like the briggs choke, but now I know. I don't think I screwed up that bad, just I'm the guy with the new bike and can't get it started!

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
Boot came off on back side?? Are you talking about the spark plug boot? That could have everything to do with your no-start condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah the backside of the spark plug boot came off, I tried to put it on best I can, never had to do that before! It's a brand new spark plug. Just was hanging there when I undid spark plug this morning. I guess I need to check for spark.

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
I would invest in a new spark plug cap, trim 1/4" off the spark plug wire and thread the new cap on.
You don't want to be left stranded out in the wilderness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok I almost turned it over, so think tinkering with that back wire by boot had something to do with it, now I may have got fuel in there from dinking around...not sure...going to give it time, no rush.when I turned choke on and did full throttle thats when it acted like it was going to stay on.

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
If you need choke AND full throttle then your carb is probably plugged up. But one thing at a time or you will drive yourself crazy. Fix the plug cap, check for spark and be done with that as a possible cause.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i turned it over...didnt need choke, as was at half, and did hit throttle to start it, and ran for over 30 seconds, but i went to turn choke off and it died like needed air...ill give it time and try again. Can't seem to find any good vids. I saw the guy drive it 2 days ago. I wouldnt think I need to keep it on choke at this point???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to try new spark plugs first. I need to get 4 any way. I show a KE 175 on the title but also show F7 in first part of VIN. It's a 1975 and finding like 1976 manuals and lower but nothing exactly 1975 Kawasaki F7D 1975 USA . Can anyone post a manual?

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
Posting of copywrite protected materials is not allowed and that would include owner's and service manuals.

Have you tried contacting your dealer? You can also try here but for older manuals you may have to send in a written request. You can also search EBay. Third parties like Haynes and others produce some pretty good manuals also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No but I've seen them on Ebay. Guess that's what I need to pick up. Didn't think I could get cause saw the 1985 and newer, and it's not in print anymore. But I'll try to pick one up on Ebay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for that. I found

Dennis Kirk. Looks like another selection or option of Kawasaki parts.

I am trying to find Kawasaki recommendation for fuel mixture and brand for 2 cycle premix. Sort of why I was looking for manual to get OEM recommendations. Any help on premix or brand and what OEM recommends? I have a fuel tank that is low, have fuel in the line, but I botched it yesterday and think I flooded (read the forum and got wrong information....) as I did complete opposite, and got result I did.

NGK Spark Plug - 5810 Dirt Bike Motorcycle Snowmobile | Dennis Kirk

NGK Spark Plug - 5810 Dirt Bike Motorcycle Snowmobile | Dennis Kirk

·
Super Moderator
1,623 Posts
Do not use premix oil unless the label says it can be used on oil injection systems. Your bike has an oil injection system and thus needs injector oil.

I say this with the assumption that the oil injection system is still functional. Your Kawi dealer should have this oil in stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok shy of the owners manual....I am guessing, but the 10w40 up by the seat, that's where it is injected? Ok won't get premix. I'll go to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts