Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Hello from TX

4K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  V2K_CCTX 
#1 ·
Hello!

My name is Luther and I currently live in San Antonio, TX. I work at Lackland AFB as an MTI ( if you know what that is without looking it up well, yea ). I am picking up my first bike in a couple weeks after I take the MSF course on the 14/15th of Nov.

I rode dirt bikes as a teenager then life happens and ive been in family vehicles since. Well, now the money is good enough for me to finally get a motorcycle. I know the reason to buy used but I refuse to buy a few things used. Underwear, toothbrush, vehicles, and electronics.

So I am picking up a black 2010 Ninja 650r on the 16th after I get my M endorsement after the MSF course. I plan to use it for commuting to and from work and then for some play when I get the time to.

Anyway, just dropping a line to say hi and hows it going.

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Ive been drooling over bikes over at Alamy Cycle Plex here in SA for a couple months now. I sat down with a guy and talked about everything from my height, weight, what i plan on using the bike for, looks, etc etc. Finally he suggested the 650r. I started picking up my safety gear this week as well. Grabbed a jacket on tuesday and going for my helmet and gloves today. Ill pick up my pants and boots when i get paid on the 15th.

Just paid for the MSF course as well. Two weeks and ill be riding. Im excited.

#6 ·
who's MSF are you taking. My wife and i took the one they teach in the Graham Central Station parking lot...cant remember the name
http://www.themotorcycleschool.com/

Taking mine through them. My schedule is pretty hectic and the earliest i could sign up was for the 14/15 Nov class.

Haha. Atleast he knows what an MTI is!

#8 ·
#17 ·
What's a MTI? Just kidding (I'm ex AF and still work on a base).

Welcome. There's lots of great info on this site and the people aren't half bad :biggrin:

#22 ·
Greetings from Corpus as well. My name is Gabriel and I'm a civilian employee and ride to work at NAS-CC.

I am from SA originally and my cousin works there at Lackland.

Welcome to the forum. Maybe we can take a short ride together whenever I get back that way.

#23 ·
Everyone is very positive on the MSF class and I VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND it also. It is a VERY GOOD choice to take it. But as you are going thru it, remember it is tough. At least the two I took were. In the first, I took it with my son. He was going to get a bike and I was just taking it to evaluate him. At the 3/4 mark both he and I were thinking "this is REALLY tough". At that point he figured out bikes were not for him. So he told he he was going to bail but I should continue on. OK. So he told the instructor and was told to *walk* it back, but he decided with 3/4 of the class complete he did not *need* to walk it, so went to ride it over, but it "got away from him" and he rode over the top of the fellow in front of him. Nice fellow too. That kinda rattled me (and the nice other fellow also) so I bailed and took my son for a milk shake. But in the next week I got to thinking... I loved riding. And bailing iin the middle did not feel right. So I retook the class (at a different facility) and at about the 3/4 mark, I was thinking "What am I doing here? This is TOUGH." Lots of FOCUS. CONCENTRATION. Physically exhausting. But I got to thinking I felt the same way in the first class and I just need to gut it out. After that it got easier. So it ain't a cake walk. Keep your eye on the target (but do not target fixate - I think that is what my son did :)

Brian

#24 ·
why pay for the MSF

Just a thought. I am in the Army and stationed here at Fort Sam. I took my MSF through the military and it was free. Not sure if you are active duty or not but it is offered through the military for government contractors, military and spouses/family as well. That is an expensive course and the military take great pride in offering a top notch course with simulators (every post that offers the course has one, and Fort Hood has five). Any ways. Check it out and save some money. I learned a lot from the MSF and really gained the confidence to ride.

#25 ·
Just a thought. I am in the Army and stationed here at Fort Sam. I took my MSF through the military and it was free. Not sure if you are active duty or not but it is offered through the military for government contractors, military and spouses/family as well. That is an expensive course and the military take great pride in offering a top notch course with simulators (every post that offers the course has one, and Fort Hood has five). Any ways. Check it out and save some money. I learned a lot from the MSF and really gained the confidence to ride.
They offer it for free on base and it's a requirement to be able to ride on base BUT, you have to supply your own motorcycle and the hours they run te course do not conform to my hours. I would take the course even if it wasn't required as I'm just one of those kind of guys that does everything possible to prepare for something as big as owning and riding a motorcycle.

To the poster that said him and his son had a problem with the course. I can promise that it cannot be tougher than what I went through for my current job or what I go through on a daily basis. Thank you for the heads up though. I have been reading these forums for months as a guest and love the atmosphere and the positive attitudes of everybody on these forums. It's why I signed up here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.