Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a Small town ride a '89 Kawasaki zx600-c2. I need to get a Helmet, but I really don't know what kind. I honestly do not drive fast. All we have around here is a curvy River road, and a Loopy Mountain road. No Freeway, just a highway that runs though town, high speed limit is 65. i dont like 1/2 or 3/4 helmets id prefer a full but what kinda should i get that isnt to extremely costly. :| please help and advice is welcome.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My advice to you is to go to a store that sells helmets so you can try on a few. Most places that do sell them will also be able to properly fit you into one, they are different shapes as well as sizes. I use a full face myself. It should be a snug fit and when strapped on unable to roll off your head backwards. When you do get fitted remember to be fitted with whatever will be on your head under the helmet. For example I have long hair and keep it pulled back so I must have it pulled back with helmet on because that's the way I was fitted. When I have it down there really is a noticeable difference. My helmet cost $120 with tax. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Speed is not the issue. Hitting your head against the roadway, curb, or any other hard object is. It does not take much of an impact to injure your brain, or even kill you.

DOT helmets, and the current Snell standard, are virtually the same, however, a Snell-rated helmet will be much higher priced than a DOT helmet, just because it says, "Snell", on it. They are equivalent in protection. Harry Hurt said, a few years before he died, that even an $80 helmet from Pep Boys will protect you in a crash, as good as a racing helmet costing $800, so price is not everything.

If you wear eyeglasses, consider a Modular Helmet -- much easier to use, handy to lift up the face shield at stops, available for less than $150 in a Raider brand. If you wear sunglasses under your helmet, consider a modular as well. Fit is key.

Be forewarned that there are several different basic head shapes, and different manufacturers make their helmets to fit different head shapes... As was stated before, try them on, and look for pressure points, which will become agonizing after 4+ hours (maybe less). Ideally, you would want to wear a prospective helmet for 2 hours, before purchasing, to know if they will generate pressure points, but that is unrealistic. It can be a tough call. After you have worn a helmet for a couple of hours, you may not be able to return it, so ask about the seller's return policy on helmets up front. Best of luck. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
You shouldn't put a price limit on a helmet, either. How much do you really value your brains?
Since you seem to have unlimited funds why not send me a few thou so I can try one of everything :):)?

Get real.......

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have an AFX I believe it was around $90 online, but I already knew what size I wore. My favorite feature is an internal sun shield that slides down behind the face shield. Much better than squeezing sunglasses on under the helmet.

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
I have an AFX I believe it was around $90 online, but I already knew what size I wore. My favorite feature is an internal sun shield that slides down behind the face shield. Much better than squeezing sunglasses on under the helmet.
Both the modular and full face that I wear have the sun shade of which you speak. Both are by HJC. I found the shade is great with a pair of sunglasses when traveling into the sun or when in the mtns constantly going from shade to sun and back.

·
KZP
182 Posts
I have an HJC IS-2 and Bell Pit Boss. Both have drop down shields. The Bell fits better(for me) and has a cold weather neck/ear removable cover. HJC was $60 the Pit Boss $150. For me you get what you pay for. Regardless try on a few and decide what YOU like.

FYI-I wear glasses. With the HJC it sucks. With the Bell perfect...FOR ME anyways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in a Small town ride a '89 Kawasaki zx600-c2. I need to get a Helmet, but I really don't know what kind. I honestly do not drive fast. All we have around here is a curvy River road, and a Loopy Mountain road. No Freeway, just a highway that runs though town, high speed limit is 65. i dont like 1/2 or 3/4 helmets id prefer a full but what kinda should i get that isnt to extremely costly. :| please help and advice is welcome.
Look into a full helmet no matter what, it'll offer the best and most reasonable amount of protection for the money.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If I'm going to be on the freeway, which means anytime I leave my local area, I like a modular. When I just jaunt down Pacific Coast Highway, I like a half helmet, both by HJC, which I think is the best bang for the buck in helmets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like buying a car, go into the dealer and try on every helmet they have. Walk away and think about it for a while. Try as many helmets as you can. If cost is a factor, Bell has some stylish good fitting helmets for well under $200 on ebay. Personally, I am thinking of buying the Bell Vortex model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,,
I learned one very simple rule in my motorcycle safety course: keep your eyes and your head pointing toward the place you want to go. It sounds straightforward. But the truth is, you have to break this rule all the time. You check your gas gauge; you look over your shoulder before changing lanes; you crane your neck to see a road sign. During moments that I take no pride in, I have even broken this rule by stuffing my cellphone up into my helmet to answer an emergency call. Riders who wear the new, digitally enhanced, Skully AR-1 helmet—which the company is calling "the world's smartest motorcycle helmet"—may never have to break this cardinal rule ever again. The design pushes all the information a rider needs onto a heads-up display right in the visor. The most useful feature is provided by a wide-angle camera housed in the back of the helmet that captures a near 180-degree image of the road behind the rider, including blind spots on either side. Riders see this as a transparent display floating just off the center of the field.

·
Sick Puppy
3,206 Posts
Hi amit65, Skully AR-1 is no more or should I say ever (first shipments never went out). The company ceased operations on 08/05/2016

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this info is well after your original question but wanted to share what I learned from helmet industry experts this weekend. I attended the American International Motorcycle Expo in Columbus Ohio. I met with both Arai and Shoei factory reps and had them measure my wife and I and get their recommendation. First things they both said is most people trying on helmets themselves typically buy one or sometimes two sizes larger than they should. Turned out to be true in our cases. We each have always bought size medium. Each vendor measured us as smalls and explained why. I'm convinced. Just thought I'd share. Have a product professional measure you and buy accordingly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts