Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm on the hunt for a new helmet and am interested in what people are wearing and find comfortable on long/short runs. I grew up racing motocross and last year bought my first non-full face (an HJC shorty) and it looks good but doesn't really cut it on long runs for comfort. I see alot of the HD cruiser boys wearing novelty beanie's but I'd like something a bit more substanital than a plastic shell. Anyone have some sage advice or favorties they are willing to share. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have the SHOEI RF-1000 in Bright Silver. I love this helmet. Very comfy and great ventilation! Safety first and I would also urge you get a full face helmet.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I too have the SHOEI RF-1000 in Black. I agree to its comfort and ventilation. I also have a HJC CL-14 for my 2 up backseater. I don't find the HJC to be nearly as comfortable (it rides hard on my forehead) but the price dif was almost 3 to 1. BUT the HJC is quieter where wind noise is concerned.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i think i have one of every style :lol: but my FF is a nolan gemini

·
Registered
741 Posts
I wear a Shoei RF900.This and the Arai Pro are the two best fitting I have ever found. The protection on either exceed both DOT & Snell ratings. I use the Arai for the dirt.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I wear a Blue/white/silver KBC TK-77 Full Face, it doesn't match the black obviously but it does allow a part of me to not be black and still look cool.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
This post is very timely for me. I recently purchased a Vulcan 1500. It has more windscreen on it than any bike I've ever ridden. I've always worn full face helmets -- currently an HJC CL-14 and a Shoei RF-1000.

I love the bike. I love these helmets for their protection. I don't like the heat, and the fogged up shield. I'm accustomed to alot more air hitting the helmet and that made these helmets more comfortable. And I'm not keen on riding with the shield up constantly.

So, I've been contemplating purchasing an open face helmet. But I'm curious to hear what others wear. And, if they wear full face, what suggestions do you have for ventilation problems causing heat and humidity build up?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The best thing you can do as a motorcyclist is make good decisions. A full face helmet is a good start. I personally have a Shoei RF900 as well and provides great ventilation. It fogs easily at slow speeds in cooler weather. But this is almost no problem as you pick up speed. My buddy has the Arai RX-7 and says it's quite loud.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ken said:
This post is very timely for me.

So, I've been contemplating purchasing an open face helmet. But I'm curious to hear what others wear. And, if they wear full face, what suggestions do you have for ventilation problems causing heat and humidity build up?
I have both full face HJC Symax (DOT) and a full face HJC CL-12 (DOT & Snell) that I wear when the weather is cooler.

For summer, when the temperatures are above 100, I wear an HJC AC-3 open face, with full face shield. It is both DOT and Snell approved and provides plenty of air flow.

The flip shield can be had in clear or many tints. It flips up and down easily. The helmet comes standard with a visor, which has to be removed when you have the shield installed. The shield is an option that you must purchase in addition to the helmet.

The only thing I don't care for on the helmet is the wind noise is pretty bad. There are ear pockets that must be for speakers or something, which causes the wind to get pretty annoying. Fortunately, my Symax came with removeable pads to fill the hole, which I transfer to the AC-3. It helps a lot. Not sure if the AC-3 was supposed to come with pads or not, but mine didn't. Perhaps they are available as a seperate item.

I really like this helmet, and while it may not provide the same level of protection as a full face, it comes pretty close. It helps with the heat and in Phoenix it's pretty warm at times. My choice may not be appropriate for everyone and I would suggest the MAXIMUM protection of a full face helmet for all NEW riders.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Repetition can be a good thing!

I also have a SHOEI, ride a Classic 1500. I know too many people who have a sad story about someone who did not have a full face helmet. :cry:

don't let the ole peer pressure or image monster get the better of you, protect yourself

WB

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello,

I wear a Nolan N100e.
It's a fullface flipUp, which I like, because I wear glasses.. and I don't have to take them off when I put the helmet on. Plus you can flip the helmet up, while it's still strapped on your head, change sunglasses, drink, talk whatever.. then flip it down & you're on your way.

Has a nice ventilation system on top too.

Price was $179 at the Helmet Shop.

-Ryan

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, my shatterproof fullface just saved my life, I was going to pick up my saddlebags because they were ready and a semi decides he wants to drive into some rocks and right back out, Boom rock hits the left side of my visor and broke the ratchet (sp?) on it, but luckily I was already at the yamaha store and they just happened to have a visor for a similar helmet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wear an Arai Astral helmet which is a full face helmet. I like it alot - it's light, extremely comfortable and well ventilated. I actually don't mind wearing it, even in the 90's with humidity - as long as I'm moving, I'm comfortable.

However, it's a little louder than I would ideally like and on longer trips sometime I'll put in earplugs to give myself a break from the wind noise. Howard Leight earplugs work well for me.

Ken - with regard to the fogging problem - there are some products out there that are designed to reduce or eliminate fogging on visors. One product I tried is made by Zooke, but I know there are others. I found that it helped, but I didn't use it much to reduce fogging. I mostly use it to clean the outside of my visor since it is a cleaner also.

Also, I find that opening the visor just a teenie little bit when stopped or moving slowly helps reduce fogging. Fogging hasn't been a problem for me when cruising at any speed above 10 mph or so.

·
Registered
134 Posts
flynsouth said:
Anyone have some sage advice or favorties they are willing to share. :mrgreen:
I wear a Vega Vista 3/4 helmet and Eye-Rider glasses, it is comfortable to me. Your head may vary! I am going to pick up a full face HJC CL-14 for riding my Concours, the occasional beetle who makes it over the windshield and between the visor and glasses, hitting me in the forehead (really threading a needle here) hurts, and riding in the rain could be better with a full face bucket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
:D

Good morning all....

Re the "Helmet Choices".... like so many others, I too say a 'full face' will winn out over any other design when it comes to safety. The 'flip is great when you wear glasses as Ryan said, but I've never owned one, and cant vouch for its comfort or safety. Having had quite a few safety related experiences over the last 40+ years of riding, in which a helmet was involved, I remain sold on the full face design. I drive a '95 Vulcan 1500-A (modified)..... coast to coast and CA to MX.... and my helmet of choice for both fit and ventilation is the SHOEI RF900 or 1000 models. Noise is not important an important consideration to me and I cannot say anything about that decision parameter.

Good luck.... Ride Safe !

Ernie in NH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shoei RF-800. Yeah it's a few years old, but I was the first one to wear it. I tried lots of other models of HJC and nothing fit correctly.
Full face is the only option. Not long ago I met a junebug doing 50 or so. Hit my visor hard enough to leave a mark. Sounded like a shot went off inside my helmet. I can only imagine the results if it had hit me in the face.
I also learned the value of a windshield when an amazingly large, small bolt fell off of a truck and bounced into my path at 70 mph. My fairing layed down it's life to protect me.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
charleym3 said:
I also learned the value of a windshield when an amazingly large, small bolt fell off of a truck and bounced into my path at 70 mph. My fairing layed down it's life to protect me.
Did you have the really tall, short windshield ?.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts