Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am new to the forum and new to riding. (Been riding about 2 months). I have a 2002 Ninja 500 and have a quick question about the helmet locks under the seat.
How do you lock your helmet to these? I know how to open the lock and I know that the D-ring in the helmet chin strap is supposed to lock into it, but the exhaust is in the way - the helmet has to be jambed up against it to even fit. And when the exhaust is hot, the last thing I want to do is rest my helmet against it.
I have an Arai and maybe the chin strap on it is different. What do you all do?
Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
63 Posts
hlemt locking

I'm not too familiar with the 500R, does it have rear passenger footpegs? On my ZX600 I just put on the strap like I'd be wearing it, lock is down, and pull the strap as tight as it will easilly go. I then just lower the rear peg to riding position and let it sit on that. I'm also lucky enough to have a helmet lock on both sides, so the exhaust is a non issue for me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
cody said:
How do you lock your helmet to these? I know how to open the lock and I know that the D-ring in the helmet chin strap is supposed to lock into it, but the exhaust is in the way
Good question Cody. I have a Ninja 250 and I think my helmet lock is the same as yours. I can't figure out a decent way to lock it, especially with two helmets. I can lock it (even two of them), but it's quite difficult, and I'm also worried about melting the helmet on the muffler.

I did buy a 4 foot bike cable, and I can run it through both helmets and lock it on the helmet lock. It's functional, but ugly.

I hope someone else has some advice. Please jump in!

Curt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I usually take the helmet with me (don't trust too many people in the Dallas area), but there are times when it would be nice to be able to lock it up and leave it.

Curt - That's a good idea, but before I bought a cable, I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
carrying it

Yah, carrying it with you is probably the best idea. Especially when it's really hot out, since my helmet's black it gets unbelievably hot in the summer. That, and it's a pretty good conversation starter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have same bike, 2002 though, and I have the same problem. I usually take the helmet with me also. I wish they made that area of this bike better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I lock mine by latching it up under the seat. No problems with people screwing with it 'cause I basically only ride it back and forth from home to base.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's an interesting question from a newbie. Are helmet locks intended for the sole purpose of locking the helmet to the bike when it's not in use or can it be used to carry a second helmet while riding? If it cannot, then what is the best way to carry a second helmet?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Kronic said:
Here's an interesting question from a newbie. Are helmet locks intended for the sole purpose of locking the helmet to the bike when it's not in use or can it be used to carry a second helmet while riding? If it cannot, then what is the best way to carry a second helmet?
You can use it to carry a second helmet, I also think that they sell attachment for other things. Personally though I just would like a place to put my helmet when I'm not riding. Walking around with it sometimes can make the whole experience of riding lame. I find myself wanting to get back to my bike just so I have a place to put my helmet (on my head).

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Kronic said:
I think as long as it wasn't contacting the exhaust you could use it as a extra place to carry a helmet, but it was not intended for this. With stock exhaust on a 500R or a 250R the helmet is going to touch the exhaust=burnt helmet. Get a elastic net thing from the local dealership/bike accessory shop and use that with the hooks underneath the tail, it works great to carry a spare lid.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Helmet locks

Personally...(SOAPBOX)...I have had helmet straps cut and they even left the helmet after scraping it on the road...I only have one helmet to deal with, my own because I ride alone on my bike. I have a Helmet that I don't want anyone messing with, so I take it with me. IF I have to meet someone in the mall we have lockers like gym lockers just large enough for a helmet...but I still prefer to set it on the table or seat depending upon the resturaunt/coffee house. I have only owned ONE black helmet, I was in Hawaii and although it was a BELL I donated it to a kid that needed a new one. Since then I have either owned red, white, or even had a BELL M2 sanded primed and custom painted. I just can't bear the thought of leaving a $300.00 helmet on the bike. The helmet that was destroyed was cut from my KRYPTONYTE frame lock that went through the frame/wheel, and they are virtually very strong, but it doesn't take a secont to cut a nylon strap, or even it it is locked up...to scratch it key it even the bike...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
the biggest thing I don't understand is why you would destroy a helmet just for the hell of it? Luckily around here pretty much every sportbike gets along with everyone else. Nearly all the cruiser guys get along with the sportbike guys too, and the ones that don't sure don't go to the same places as us.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree, take it with you. In my experience helmets are not usually ruined/damaged/stolen by other bikers, but moreso by people who don't like or are envious of bikers. IMHO, helmets cost too much money to take a chance on some idiot ruining that custom paint, or worse yet, putting you in a position where you'd have to ride lid-less. As far as riding with a spare locked on, the manual for my '88 EX500 says that this is a definite no-no because of load balancing, blah blah blah.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts