Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That might be a stupid question but how can I use the helmet locks on my EX500? I cannot figure out a way how to get the necklace under the lock. I've an HJC CL-14 helmet. Even if I get it there somehow the helmet will touch the hot exhaust pipes, which I don't think is right...

Am I missing something? Is there a special trick or device that is supposed to help? I'm lost...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Not missing anything

It's a fluke...a mistake...a serious oversite to have put them where they are..we had a posting several months ago...best to take it with you, leave it at a counter, store it under your desk..not to leave it on the bike..people have done ugly things to helmets left unattended...if you value your life, and wear a helmet that you depend upon to protect your life. ..it's basically worth carrying into anyplace, anywhere, at anytime...

·
Registered
456 Posts
You're not missing anything. It's just not a very handy design. My 250R has the same type of lock, and it's just as annoying.

Some people put down the rear peg and balance the helmet on that to keep it off the muffler. I usually carry my helmet, but I will sometimes use the helmet lock. You can also buy an extension that slips into the D-ring of the helmet and makes it a lot easier to lock the helmet. But then you'll touch the exhaust for sure.

You could also use a bike cable to lock the helmet to the rear grab bar.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Helmets

Basically, you can't leave a helmet unattended...but if you have to you can lock it to an extension attached under the seat, or to the handlebar, or even the rear handhold if you get creative with a locking ring setup

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here's what I do to lock my HJC CS-12 helmet to my 500R: I have a short section of chain that I run through the helmet D-ring. I put the rear footpeg down & open the helmet lock, leaving a small part of the lock peg protruding from the lock. With the helmet facing rearward (D-ring on top), I insert the end of the chain closest to me through the other end of the chain. Resting the helmet on the rear footpeg, I'm just able to loop the end of the chain over the lock peg. Then, I fully close the lock & remove the key. If necessary, I adjust the helmet so that it won't roll while resting on the footpeg.

A few notes: 1) for strength, I chose a chain sized to barely fit through the D-ring; 2) to keep the helmet from rolling around, the chain is just long enough to allow it to loop over the lock peg with the helmet flush against the side of the bike; 3) sometimes, I have to slide the helmet forward or backward on the footpeg to find the right position where the chain is long enough.

They say Necessity is the Mother of Invention. I developed this method because there wasn't enough room in my locker for my gym bag, riding gear, and helmet. It's also nice to be able to go into a restaurant or store and to not have to fool with a helmet. It took me a while to get used to this technique, but now it's second nature. HTH

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
It is a bad design, that is one thing I don't like about my bike (500R), I have burned my hand 2x!!

I either take my Helmet w/me or I lock it to the rear handle.....I have a really small lock/cable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's opinions! You are right, helmet is a very valuable part of the gear and it should be taken care of properly. I will continue taking it with me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts