Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently joined this forum, and like reading the posts from all of you. I ride a 2003 Vulcan 800A...I like the bike except for the helmet lock. I'm a firm believer of wearing a helmet, but the helmet lock on the 800 is not (IMO) in a good location and hard to get a full face helmet locked into it and impossible for 2 helmets.

What do the rest of you do short of carrying your helmet with you?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had a similar situation with my 1600 Classic. I removed the helmet lock when I put the saddlebags on, since it would not have been accessible. I tried to find a place to mount it, but just couldn’t find a place I liked.

I ended up buying a cable lock with a combination (didn’t want to carry yet another key) that is 6’ long, I think, and self-coiling. It’s slick. I put the helmet on the backrest and slip the cable through the rings and the backrest and I’m set. If I don’t want to carry my leather jacket with me, I can put the cable through the sleeve and leave that with the bike to.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had an 2001 VN800A and I agree about the location of the lock. It is difficult to use, at best. I tried helmet lock extensions which are steel "T" bars that you slip through the "D" ring. Unfortunately, the moron who designed them never used one. If you put it in the ring and angle it a little it will slip right through the hole. The "t" potion wasn't wide enough. Waste of money.

I had (still have them) small plain leather saddle bags and bought a lock similar to Freedom1600. Same thing except it was key activated. On a full face helmet I would put the cable right through the eye opening. That way they can't just cut the strap and take off. If you don't have bags it coils up nicely, is plastic coated and you could put it almost anywhere.

Denniskirk.com and others sell helmet locks. Maybe you can find a good one on there that you can mount in a different spot.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Helmet locks.... a real joke, but no one is laughing :wink:
On the Nomad, the locks are on the inside of the loop of tubing that forms the saddlebag guards, which puts your helmet so close to the exhaust pipes that I don't use the locks. Besides, the helmet hangs down and rolls aroung on the floorboards, etc. What a waste they are.
I bought one of the helmet post studs that replaces the pivot bolt on the clutch or brake lever. Slip the helmet over the grip/lever, drop the d-ring on the stud and put on the little padlock that comes with the stud. I know, it makes you carry anther key, but at least you can lock it on when you have to.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Found out just how bad they were the other day. I went to drop my son off at an appointment where he would be busy for a 1/2 hour. First off I could only put his helmet on the left side, mine would of melted on the exhaust on the right. Then when I came out I thought I would go for a ride, instead of waiting in the waiting room. Well that was not going to happen, his helmet would of been banging up against the wheel and tire the whole time, so I had to go back in the waiting room and just wait. What a bummer :( .

·
Registered
302 Posts
Helmet Locks

I faced the same problem when I put leatherlyke crosscountry bags on my 2002 Classic FI a little while back.This fix will only work if you have a passenger backrest(sissy bar) on your bike. Mine is the cobra (med sive) with pad. I took both helmet locks off the sides where they were mounted and drilled a small hole for the "stud" to go in about 3/4 the way up on the side of each side on the sissy bar then marked the place for the hold on bolt on each side with a marker, went to the hardware store and bought 2 stainless steel bolts with self locking nuts and mounted the locks on the sides of the sissy bar. The locks fit perfect, work great and don't look bad at all. The helmets sit on top of my bags but so what, I can still get in them quick enough! It just requires drilling a few small holes!
Hope this helps!
Lonestar

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good idea, Lonestar. I did the same on my Nomad. I made a new rear rack beefy enough to support a travel trunk from an older Venture. I added two holes to the side of each of the support gussets at the rear of the rack and moved the helmet locks back there. Now the skull bucket hangs down against the signal/tail light bar. I think this method will also work with most rear racks that have some flat area on the supports.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Has anyone ever had a helmet stolen off a helmet lock? After all, all someone has to do is cut the straps. I've been thinking about using one, but I'm not sure how safe it is, especially with an expensive helmet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's like locking a house door or not. Most houses would be ridiculously easy to get into even when locked. It keeps out the honest (or nearly) ones. Locking the helmet only makes it a little more difficult to lift and maybe more obvious to others nearby that something is going down. Oh, yeah, I've never lost a helmet to thieves....... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've never lost one either. I don't lock mine either, I slide it over the end of the handle bar. If somebody else needs it bad enough, maybe it will save there life, and it will give me an excuse to buy a new one.........

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
sledman said:
I've never lost one either. I don't lock mine either, I slide it over the end of the handle bar. If somebody else needs it bad enough, maybe it will save there life, and it will give me an excuse to buy a new one.........
That's a really cool philosophy. I'm not sure I could afford to lose multiple helmets per year, but I'll hang the older one on the mirror from now on :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got a '96 classic and had the same problem with having bags I couldn't reach the locks. I took my locks off and relocated them to the seat bolts where my mustang saddle bolts on. All I did was get a couple of metric allen cap bolts and drill out the seat locks just enough so that the bolts will pass through and using my dremel tool enlarge the hole where the bolt head sits. Then reattach the locks. this gives added security for your expensive seat as well the seat can't be removed unless the helmet locks are open. The new location allows you to use the locks once again, the flaps on the mustang saddle hide the locks as well. :D

·
Flash Frozen
733 Posts
every gun comes with a helmet holder. mine will hold 2 helmets .hey I got alot of helmet holders. so I also have a lot of guns...

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
If you have a sissy bar go to wally world they sell a trailer hitch lock that fits nicely around the sissy bar, makes a great helmet lock and the helmet can sit on the sissy bar and be safe.

·
Why ask me?
97 Posts
I use a small T shaped flat bracket, what you would screw flat onto a piece of timber to join two pieces together. About 2.5inches both ways. Dremmeled out one of the screw holes so it will go over the bar that locks onto the ring of the helmet. Slide it through the helmet ring and it will not go past the T part. Makes it easy to get on and off - I'll take a pic and post if that all sounds confusing!

John

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
every gun comes with a helmet holder. mine will hold 2 helmets .hey I got alot of helmet holders. so I also have a lot of guns...
Generally, people who have guns don't need locks ;)

Seriously... I normally hang mine from the throttle grip. If I'm going to be leaving it for a while or where nobody is keeping an eye on it, I'll toss it in the trunk. I might even lock the trunk.

My XD9 (9101, 4" Service) case isn't quite as deep and the gun lays across the case where your mag loader is... the helmet lock lays above the barrel near the hinge. Mags are in the same place, my holster and mag holster and mag loader are in the lid. You could re-do the foam and get 4 weapons in that case since you can't carry loaded mags in the same case as the weapon, and empty mags are of no use ;)

I see the 3 slots in the accessory rail... mine has two. From that and the extension of the barrel in front of the frame, I'm going to assume that's the 5" .45ACP?
I didn't get extra grip inserts... mine is one solid piece. I'd love to get a rubber cover for it, but they don't seem to be available so I settled for adhesive grip tape.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Never mind... that's the new XDm with the 4.5" barrel isn't it?
That the 9 or the 40?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts