Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bikini Tag Removal Expert
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped out my windscreen for a batwing and quite like it. The front seems more stable and steering is easier. I used to just see over the shield but with the batwing I am looking over more shield so I get much more wind on my helmet. I don't ride without shields, so I don't know have much noise there can/should be, but I am wondering if the design of my full face helmet is creating more noise than I would have with a different helmet. My helmet has ridges with vents - I would think that any unsmooth edge would create turbulance and thus noise. Would a smoother helmet be better? Here's the helmet that I have:
Welcome to Fuel Helmets
I would consider another helmet if it would make a noise difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Different helmets most certainly create and block different amounts of noise.

I am not familiar with that helmet but I can tell you that if you haven't and don't ride without shields then you may be experiencing what many of us live with.

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can tell you that if you haven't and don't ride without shields then you may be experiencing what many of us live with.
Yes, I'm sure that riders without shields won't really sympathize with me and helmet noise!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm thinking that with afull face like that you could be getting the "pop bottle" effect. That is to say like when you were a kid and you blew across the top of a pop bottle it whistled. The same type thing could be happening with the air across the top of the fairing and the bottom of your helmet. My wife wears a Bell Mag8. It has a built in face shield/visor deal. Nice helmet fits great. But she had alot of head buffeting. I can only guess part of it is the air over me and the fact that she was a couple inches higher on the passenger seat put the visor into the air stream. So I took off the visor and rigged up some large washers to hold the shield on.
For grins try something like a towel, wrap around the bottom of the helmet to block the wind. Attach it with like some duct tape and go for a spin and see if it knocks the noise you are speaking of out. If it does you may be able to change helmet types to a 3/4 and get rid of the noise.

·
Still having fun!
469 Posts
Do you have lowers? They can help with the wind that comes under and around the fairing.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Helmet can play a big roll in that...my HJC was terrible with my 900's windshield...but my Shoei was worlds better. Night and day difference.

Still though, earplugs really do wonders for helmet noise ;)

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have lowers? They can help with the wind that comes under and around the fairing.
Yes I have lowers. All I have changed is from a Memphis Shield to a Memphis Batwing. The batwing is about 3 inches lower than my shield was so my head stick above the batwing. My whole helmet is not above the batwing, my chin is still below. Before, with the shield I had very little noise, now I have lots of noise - can't even hear the engine at 110kph. Buffeting is not an issue at all.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yeah, I had a HJC helmet and it created so much noise and wind it felt like I was without a helmet at all. I switched to a Scorpion with an Aero Skirt and LOVE it. No noise at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts