Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying 2 find a good all around helmet at a decent price.... ive narrowed it down two 2 ....here we go the 1st is a fulmer afd4 and 2nd is the vega altura.... they both fit good,have good circulation and look good and also not 2 mention fit into my budget........But they just look two big 4 me(I look like a orange on top of a toothpick) althow they are verry light weight.. is there any companeys that make smaller helmets ....Ive tryed some youth helmets also and it seams the same... any advice would be mutch appriciated ....
thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
How about, Don't look in a mirror?? I mean if it feels good to you and you will wear it who really gives a flip about what it "looks" like? You are wearing it for safety, right??
JMHO

·
Biking Old Timer
445 Posts
Just MO but Vega makes decent helmets. Personally I want protection for my little brain, looking cool is a distant second. My Vega looks like big on mee too.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I have a brand new fulmer afd4 helmet that I'm trying to sell. It was a gift and I have not need for it. It is a Large. PM me if you are interested.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
I have a full face... i think its called a modular helmet?

the entire front flips up.

Its black and its a vega, i think FF's look the best and i feel most secure with my noggin in one.

·
Registered
533 Posts
HJC for me (I think the helmet makes my head look smaller)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Point to ponder

First, I have worn Vega for 4 years or so, love them. They work great in my opinion, of course, my last helmet was a Bell that I used nearly 15 years ago.

Now for the size thing: Vega and a lot of other helmet manufacturing companies have went to sizing in stages, like Vega. They have 3 shell sizes and use different liners to make the size difference up, more liner for the smaller sizes, less for the bigger.

I really don't know how they stack up against other hemets size wise, but I bet setting some side by side would reveal that most difference is very minimal. I imagine that a dark helmet (much like clothing) would make for a slimming look. Also will toast the head when the sun is beating down on it, but I have ran black helmets for the looks. And black goes with everything.

Try graphics too. Maybe a certain graphic will be slimming also.

And I just got a new in box 2005 for the wife and a new in box 2006 for me for $35 each on ebay last month. Took me two or three months of looking, but I was ready when the buy it now came up. Actually scored the two helmets, two tinted shields, a clear and an amber for less than $100 shipped to the door.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I'm not familiar with Vega, but everyone else seems to like them. Fulmer has been in the helmet biz for a loooooong time, so odds are that they're good at making them. I wore a Fulmer at the MSF class before I bought my Z1R.

Just about every single DOT/SNELL helmet will make you look like a bobble head doll. Deal with it.

Novelty lids have a low profile and less protection. Personally, I'd rather look like a bobble head and still eat food without a tube.

My .02.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I second the Scorpion Exo-400. It's a $150 helmet that stacks up well against helmets that cost 3-4x as much. Regarding looks...let me tell you. I have been a cyclist for almost 20 years (yes, bicycles), and I hear this one a lot. The truth is, any dude walking into any place wearing a helmet, whether a bicycle, motorcycle, climbing, kayaking helmet, etc., looks like a dork. The only people who think you look cool are yourself and perhaps others of your kind who recognize you are wearing a high end lid. The rest of the world thinks you look dorkey, especially when you throw in chaps or spandex.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey wats up all...
I finally made up my mind and got something different than what i posted as my choices....I went to a local shop and was checking out different helmets that i had overlooked, and i saw this solid black helmet with these big white letters that read HJC....it stood out against the rest in my mind because everything else was painted verry bright or had lots of desighnes on them,but not this helmet.....So i put it on and i fell in love with the way it felt and how light it was and wasnt 2 big looking and also fell into my budget of $91.00...
its the model cl-15...now all i nead to do is get there silver mirrored shield ...but it can put on the back burner 4 now....i have the most important part..
and i just wanted to thank everyone for there opinions and all the good advice
S.M.L

·
Road Pirate
451 Posts
The Vega Summit was one I was looking at but couldn't find a dealer close by so I went with the Zox Nevado flip up. I looked in the mirror while checking for hot spots and, well it seemed big. Not quite the " Dark Helmet" look from Space Balls, but...large. Suddenly realized I was wearing a t-shirt. Popped on the First Gear Highlander jacket I was buying and everything looked great.

·
"Good Ride"
96 Posts
Look at the G-Max platinum 17S,I went to purchase a Fulmer this weekend and after trying on alot of Lids I bought the G-Max.It was 69.99 and it came with a clear,and smoke shield and a visor.It is very comfy and I liked the overall design.It looks like a scoripion.

·
Behind the 8ball
1,953 Posts
I like my Vega Altura, it's solid black. I am however looking to buy a solid white Scorpion 400 to wear after May. Wearing the Vega here in the summer is VERY uncomfortable. While I'm moving, all is well. Stop at a stoplight and it feels like someone opened the oven door in my face. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 for Scorpion. I have heard nothing but good things about this brand. My next lid will 99% be a Scorpion.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
There's a forum member selling a nice looking fulmer afd4 in the swap meet section for about $75. If I needed an adult lid I'd have bought it already, but I have 2 and my next one will be a small for my daughter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts