Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of Helmet do you wear? ((Shoei - HJC - Vega - NEVADO - etc? ))

I'm looking at a new HJC cl-33 open face, does anyone have one? How do you like it? Also looking at one for my wife who is just starting to ride - she likes one that Shoei makes and one by HJC, but there is about a 200 price difference. Is the shoei really any better?

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I wear a Scorpion EXO-700. As for the HJC vs Shoei, protection is going to be equal for pretty much any DOT/Snell lid (though not terrific for open face models), but based on my experience the Shoei would probably be much more comfortable and probably have measurably better construction. Whether it's worth the $$$ difference is a decision the wearer has to make ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I wear the HJC SLY-MAX and really enjoy the flip up portion of the helmet, my wife uses the HJC CL33 very comfortable. For hot weather I have the Bell 3/4. Regardless what they say they all have a lot of wind noise, I ride with ear plugs and keeps the db's down to a dull roar.

I guess a medium priced helmet for a medium priced noggin.

Ride safe

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Shoei RF1000. I am pretty new in motorcycling yet. Happened to try my friend's helmet (RF1000), and it was okay fit. Maybe I could find better fit, but RF1000 has been working for me.
BTW, is there any site that talks about the shape of head and recommended helmet? The helmet goes by the size only, and the shape is not included...

·
Registered
570 Posts
My son and I just bought each other the HJC CARBON full-face helmets. We read a lot of reviews before purchasing. Its mid-winter here, so I've only worn mine in the familyroom for a few minutes! These are the most awesome looking helmets I've ever seen!! They are carbon and not overlays, so they are also extremely lightweight. From what I've read, the optics, aerodynamics and venting are all very good. They look far better in person than in pics.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
My helmet:

And yes, it is DOT approved.

·
Riding to Stay Young
343 Posts
What kind of Helmet do you wear? ((Shoei - HJC - Vega - NEVADO - etc? ))

I'm looking at a new HJC cl-33 open face, does anyone have one? How do you like it? Also looking at one for my wife who is just starting to ride - she likes one that Shoei makes and one by HJC, but there is about a 200 price difference. Is the shoei really any better?
Mine is an HJC, 3/4 face...model AC3, I think. I got the flip-up face shield, which meant the visor had to go. But, I added a Super Visor to the face shield and it is great (www.super-visor.com).

Sizing is somewhat unpredictable, I think. I tried several at a local shop and bought mine there. First one I took home turned out to be too large, so I returned it and refit #2 with help from the shop's helmet guru. Buying local costs more, but if we buy everything on the internet the shops will just dwindle away.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Shoei RF 1000

Why? Fits well, rated highly for crash worthiness, and most importantly for those North Carolina summers, it is very well ventilated. I really never have a problem with my head getting hot.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts

HJC CL-33
Just got the Nolan 102N-com helmet for Xmas. Wide view and great padding etc.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I have ridden with the Nolan 102 modular for a year now. From the research I did and from my own experience it is a very good quality helmet for the dollars. Great Italian quality and design. In the cold, rain or heat it has always been comfortable from the mid 30's to 105+ degrees.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have ridden with the Nolan 102 modular for a year now. From the research I did and from my own experience it is a very good quality helmet for the dollars. Great Italian quality and design. In the cold, rain or heat it has always been comfortable from the mid 30's to 105+ degrees.
+1 for the Nolan N102. I wouldn't trade it for anything

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
I have the HJC cs-5, open face, Fix visor. Nothing special. I tried the flip up visor for it but it rattled so badly I put the fixed one back on. I've been looking for a flip up type for a while and haven't found one I like yet.
The CL-33 looks like another one I should check out.

:D
Aif

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
I was really pleased with the HJC Cl 33 and will continue to use it sometimes. Just felt better having a full face just in case.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a Bell 3/4 I picked up for my MSF and a HJC Full face I picked up when I bought the 900 Classic It was the most comfortable they had had at the dealer of coarse they didn't have too large of a selection of XXL's. I really like it and only have fogging problems at long stop lights.Have gotten used to either keeping face shield open a crack or opening it a crack at known long lights. I may wear the 3/4 Bell when the weather gets warm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i wear a chopper pilots helmet with American flag graphics :):):).
Great ear protecion..so it is wery quiet and instead of rounded visor it has ful face visor...and i wear neopren face mask.
Ewerybody says that looks cool man.... :):):)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts