Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Sorry I see that there a lot of helmet what to buy threads. Hopefully listing the specifics of what I want will help. I am about to purchase a new ZX14R. It seems that my old helmet has served as a home for a family of mice. It was a15 year o!d helmet so tech has improved tremendously since I bought this one. Here is what Iam looking for;

Full face
Anti fog pop up shield with the extra sun visor shield pull down screen
Quiet as possible
Good ventilation
Integrated Bluetooth but with good quality speakers
Bluetooth capable in case there are no good integrated speakers. If this then what comm kit is best
Under $300.

Thanks
Wade

·
Super Moderator
10,837 Posts
Under $300.
Bwahahaha!! Whew, that was a good one. Right, $300. With the stuff you list you're getting into the $6-800 range. Good luck with that. Even if you get a FF HJC with the pop down sun visor you're looking at $250-300. And that includes no comm stuff at all, another couple hundred for that.

You're no novice at this, you know. Start trying them on. IMHO you complete neglected THE most important thing- fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I picked up a modular helmet with an internal sun visor, for less than $250. It did not have any communications stuff, though. I agree: get a DOT-rated helmet that fits well, and add in the communications stuff, aftermarket, as desired. There are a few which are Bluetooth, sans intercom, but most are intercom's with all the other Bluetooth connectivity added in (phone, GPS, MP3 player, etc.). Here is a link to one sans-intercom set you might be interested in looking at. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bwahahaha!! Whew, that was a good one. Right, $300. With the stuff you list you're getting into the $6-800 range. Good luck with that. Even if you get a FF HJC with the pop down sun visor you're looking at $250-300. And that includes no comm stuff at all, another couple hundred for that.

You're no novice at this, you know. Start trying them on. IMHO you complete neglected THE most important thing- fit.
Hi, You are absolutely right the fitment is the #1 factor. I am just looking for a starting point for a good helmet. There are a lot more choices now than there was the last time I was shopping for one. I should have been clearer that the $300 limit was for the helmet with bluetooth capability. There is a BILT helmet with integrated BT for less than $300. This seemed cheap for all of those options. Most reviews on that helmet were positive but the BT speakers were the biggest knock for being cheap. Suggestions on a helmet and BT\Com setup? I will definately try them on first, like I said just looking for a starting point on brand, quality and accesories.

I picked up a modular helmet with an internal sun visor, for less than $250. It did not have any communications stuff, though. I agree: get a DOT-rated helmet that fits well, and add in the communications stuff, aftermarket, as desired. There are a few which are Bluetooth, sans intercom, but most are intercom's with all the other Bluetooth connectivity added in (phone, GPS, MP3 player, etc.). Here is a link to one sans-intercom set you might be interested in looking at. Cheers!
Thanks I will check that out. I firgure that helmet companies are good at building helmets and communication companies are good at building comm setups. I was just checking around to see if there were any helmet companies that were good at both. I am really expecting to purchase each seperate.

Thanks!
Wade

·
2 owners high mileage
156 Posts
I was once visiting a friends motorcycle shop when a customer walked in and started looking at the helmets .....after a while he asked the shop owner , my friend,..how much should he invest in a helmet for....i answered before my friend had time to think...
Well how much is your head worth..i replied....he bought the most expensive helmet in the shop...
does that answer your question...

·
Queasy Rider
2,080 Posts
I read a good article not long ago that explained why more expensive does not always mean the best protection. The article said that the more expensive helmets like those that are Snell approved will provide more protection in a high speed/ hard impact collision but because a helmet protects your head by self destructing to absorb the impact energy, a stronger helmet is not necessarily the best when you are involved in a lower speed collision.
Personally, I go for comfort, fit and features. I have a $400 Shoei Qwest full face that I use for touring. It gets me through all weather conditions in comfort, except extreme heat. I don't have room on my bike to be carrying a second helmet so this is the helmet I take on long tours. If I'm out for less than a day and it is hot out, I wear my $100 Bell 500 open face. It's light weight and cooler than the Shoei.
I say do your research, try as many helmets as you can and make your own personal choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts