Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
Squid !
sunshine said:
Just call me a Squid.....I love to have the sun on my face and the wind in my hair.....but I do wear it on the highways.....or when I feel the need for speed.....................

5/5/5
Most accidents happen in the first 5 minutes of a ride and/or less tha 5 miles from home and /or in the first five months of riding.

Unless you're being stupid Highways are the safest place to ride.
I gotta agree with uncle bob here. Keep the lid on.
My eyes get watery with the visor up, I can't imagine if I had no helmet to keep the wind and bugs and road out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Helmets

Would really love to feel the wind in my hair, but would never chance riding without a full face helmet. Possibly a flip-up, but never anything less. It is rather uncomfortable and takes a few minutes to put on cause I wear glasses. Need to invest in some contacts maybe :roll:
It is legal to ride in Florida without and I see Many riders' melons exposed around town. I'd like to keep my brain cells please.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: Helmets

darkninja said:
Would really love to feel the wind in my hair, but would never chance riding without a full face helmet. Possibly a flip-up, but never anything less. It is rather uncomfortable and takes a few minutes to put on cause I wear glasses. Need to invest in some contacts maybe :roll:
It is legal to ride in Florida without and I see Many riders' melons exposed around town. I'd like to keep my brain cells please.
instead of spending money on contacts you should look at getting lasik(sp?) laser eye surgery done and having corrected eyes forever, much cheaper in the long run.

I got it done over a year ago and am still seeing 20/15. yeah, I have some zoom ability.

·
Registered
56 Posts
instead of spending money on contacts you should look at getting lasik(sp?) laser eye surgery done
Well, I have considered it, but I know several people who have done it and came back with negative comments. My sister says she has lost her periphreal vision. She says she has to look direct at an object to see it 20/20 clearly. Periphreal vision (vision is genreal) is very important while riding so I don't want to risk it. Others have said it really hurts, it didn't improve the vision very much, etc. I don't know.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
darkninja said:
instead of spending money on contacts you should look at getting lasik(sp?) laser eye surgery done
Well, I have considered it, but I know several people who have done it and came back with negative comments. My sister says she has lost her periphreal vision. She says she has to look direct at an object to see it 20/20 clearly. Periphreal vision (vision is genreal) is very important while riding so I don't want to risk it. Others have said it really hurts, it didn't improve the vision very much, etc. I don't know.
I think the only thing negative around here I've heard is that rarely you'll have to go back because one of the eyes isn't perfect, but that is about the extent of it. Mine was completely painless, with better than perfect vision and hadn't lost any periphreal vision. although I've heard of some of the other forms of eye surgery are kinda iffy.

contacts aren't so bad if you don't wanna risk it. they get the job done much better than glasses.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 2 cents on wearing a helmet.... I always said that I would not wear a helmet in a state that allows you not too... But, one day I was riding in Conn. and I took off my helmet, man it was the worst feeling in the world.. Even with wearing sunglasses the wind went right around them and my eyes were running then I could not see... Recently they took the helmet law away in the state of pa. and thats were my parents live so I go there quite often.. I think if I am just going to the store or to rent a movie or some **** like that I might not wear a helmet only because I will not be going over 35-40MPH... If i know that I am getting on a HWY forget that a helmet is a must for me...

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Crysti and I both wear one. We have halves and are working towards full faced of some sort as we're not 100% comfortable with them yet. I'm not a fan of helmet laws for adults (OK with kids IMO). I've seen first hand what they can do. However, I feel as an adult, it's your responsibility to educate yourself on the pros/cons and make that decision yourself and deal with the consequences.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My mother worked in the ER as a nurse. I think that says enough :p.

Though I've been letting my girlfriend use mine when giving her short rides through town. Need to buy one for her soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
having the choice is what makes this country great.....sometimes I wear it and sometimes I don't.....I personally don't think that anyone has the right to impose their views on me....its a free country.......We all know that the choices we make can have ill effects.......but then again you can get hit by a bus walking across the road........

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
I know we're getting close to Easter, but this has to be among the record for thread resurrections!

I wear the FF even though KS is a helmet optional state. I even geared up this morning to run a 650 CSR a block and a half up the street and back. People around here do not look both ways at the intersections.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
rode to a buddy's today...about 20 miles from me. had my helmet all clean and shiny. now its got mosquitoes plastered all over the front of it from riding back. gotta clean it again! LOL

aside from the obvious bug protection properties, i like my pretty face to stay pretty, so my FF does that. and i like my brain...i want it to stay where it is. im partial to my skull as well!

helmet all the time, even if it wasnt required by law. i believe safety gear, car or bike, is a choice. i wear my seat belt, and i wear my helmet. saved me a bunch of times when i was wreckin' in the dirt!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Always wear my FF Sparx because everytime I get hit by a bug or rock, I think, "Wow, that would've hurt". I tried to ride around the block without one and it just felt weird. Also stories that I hear of accidents that could've been prevented with a helmet motivate me to wear one.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts