Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering...what is the difference between a HJC helmet with a DOT and a Snell rating and an Arai with the same ratings? Other then price?:shock:

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Lots...but not much in the way of safety.

The Arai (or Shoei, Suomy, et al) will use nicer materials, likely be lighter, will have been tested in a wind tunnel to reduce buffeting and noise, will likely have better ventilation (though that isn't always the case), probably have a longer warranty (my Shoei has a 5 year warranty, my HJC has a 1 year warranty), definitely have better paint...the higher end helmets will use more shell sizes (so you don't end up with an XXL shell for a Large helmet)...and Arai offers a number of different head shapes.

Whether that stuff is worth it is entirely up to you. Personally, I love my Shoei, and theres no chance I'll go back to something like the HJC CL-15 I originally bought (I wanted an Arai...but none fit my head shape).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a cheap HJC helmet, so I purposely don't know what I'm missing from the more expensive ones. But whatever you do, make sure it fits right.
I have an HJC helmet I really like it...I paid around $150 a few years ago...I was just wondering cause I was looking at helmets lately and the Arai's are around $800 to $1200 for the same safety specs

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
From what I understand, the HJCs are better now than before. They're on a tier lower than the Shoeis and Arais, but are improving. Like Bubba said, it's mainly fit and comfort and finish and such. Performance should be equal.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Fit, finish and comfort. That's pretty much the difference.

Even features aren't always that much different. For example, it used to be that cheaper helmets didn't offer removable/replaceable liners and padding and were a pain when it came to removing the shield. My current HJC has easily removable pads and liner (velcro and snaps) and the shield comes off in about five seconds.

Regarding fit, finish and comfort, though, I'm happy with my HJC. Sure, the paint is obviously cheaper and it's probably not as quiet or light weight as a more expensive helmet, but it fits my head well and has plenty of air flow.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My biggest concern with a more expensive helmet would be the tendency to not replace it after a questionable impact.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
personally I think that even after dropping a helmet it should be replaced...that said who can afford to drop $800....

All the newer helmets have nice removable, washable linings now. I just bought my girlfriend a helmet for $80 that iss snell and dot approved with removable liner and she says the fit is really good.

Here is a quote i got from a magazin i was reading the other day

"Don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash."

·
Registered
716 Posts
personally I think that even after dropping a helmet it should be replaced...that said who can afford to drop $800....

All the newer helmets have nice removable, washable linings now. I just bought my girlfriend a helmet for $80 that iss snell and dot approved with removable liner and she says the fit is really good.

Here is a quote i got from a magazin i was reading the other day

"Don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash."
Some would argue if you are going to dress for the crash then you wouldn't use a Snell rated helmet, but that's fodder for another thread.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Why is that?
Some guys did an independant study several years back and determined that the Snell standards for testing resulted in harder helmets but as a result caused more G force to get applied to the brain in the event of a crash. If you snoop around the 'net you can find the article, I'd find it for you but I'm supposed to be working. ;)

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Ok, I just can't resist. Purely off track and only for amusement. it struck me that the "dress for the crash" comment is similar to some stuff I heard lately on loud pipes. A guy who is an instructor has a shirt that reads something to the effect of "if you think loud pipes save lives, imagine what rider training can do for you".

So....to steal that for helmet purposes, "if you think a helmet will save your life, imagine what learning to ride will do for you".

Interlude over, back to the thread. :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ok, I just can't resist. Purely off track and only for amusement. it struck me that the "dress for the crash" comment is similar to some stuff I heard lately on loud pipes. A guy who is an instructor has a shirt that reads something to the effect of "if you think loud pipes save lives, imagine what rider training can do for you".

So....to steal that for helmet purposes, "if you think a helmet will save your life, imagine what learning to ride will do for you".

Interlude over, back to the thread. :D
Funny, I was kinda thinking the same thing earlier. I think the difference between a Snell vs. DOT helmet is probably moot. If you smack your head that hard the damage to the rest of your body is probably enough to kill you.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I would find a helmet that fits well and is comfortable that does not cost too much. All helmets are only good for one good impact, whether dropped or in a crash and DOT say replace a helmet every 5 years, because materials deteriorate over time. So I cannot see spending $500 or more that is only designed to last 5 years when there are acceptable options that are less expensive, like Scorpian.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Just wondering...what is the difference between a HJC helmet with a DOT and a Snell rating and an Arai with the same ratings? Other then price?:shock:
I personally like HJC helmets, and prefer them over a Shoei helmet that cost 4 to 6 times as much.
I cannot find a shoei that fits my head right, and have an expensive one sitting on a shelf thats been used about 10 rides, and got replaced with a different brand of helmet for more comfort.
Its my fault really, as I bought it.

For shorter rides I generally wear a HJC or Fly helmet, and for long road rides my Nolan modualr.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I would find a helmet that fits well and is comfortable that does not cost too much. All helmets are only good for one good impact, whether dropped or in a crash and DOT say replace a helmet every 5 years, because materials deteriorate over time. So I cannot see spending $500 or more that is only designed to last 5 years when there are acceptable options that are less expensive, like Scorpian.
the only thing I'd add to this...I know I've heard someplace...if there is no weight in the helmet (like your head being in it), and just a minor drop, like falling off your bike, then replacement may not be necessary. I know the manufacturers will always err on the legal side and say it has to be replaced, but does anyone know of a non-biased, legally independant third-party that has given input?

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Seems short sighted to me...especially considering how much Americans spend on 'throw away' goods (laptops coming to mind right away).

Every minute of riding you do over the course of 5 years, and you need a helmet that fits perfectly for all of it...seems like a long time to put something thats just 'OK' over your head...especially considering how unnatural it is. We don't grow up doing it, we aren't used to having one on day in and day out (like a shirt or pair of pants)...so you want one that goes on, and you immediately forget its there, in my opinion...its just an extension of your head.

Scorpion is a nice intermediate helmet...but that doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't fit. Wearing one for 5 minutes gave me a headache that lasted an hour. Some people can wear an HJC for days on end...some NEED an Arai as they are the only ones that are designed for their head shape. Don't skimp on your helmet...if the RIGHT one costs $100, go for it and don't look back...but if it costs $500, GO FOR IT and don't look back.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Funny, I was kinda thinking the same thing earlier. I think the difference between a Snell vs. DOT helmet is probably moot. If you smack your head that hard the damage to the rest of your body is probably enough to kill you.
That may be true in some cases. However, I personally have ridden my chin guard for about 75-100 feet down a road.

True, it may not have killed me w/o the helmet, but I would be a whole lot uglier than I already am.

P.S. The fact that the initial point of impact on the road was the top, right front of the helmet means to me that it may have been fatal.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.