Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 121 Posts
Same story here, I'm afraid. I'm DYING to try one on (a Zeus), because of all the wonderful reviews of both the helmet (508 modular, I believe) AND the company. I can't FIND one ANYWHERE. And I just CAN'T go buy one online based on the fact that I've tried on OTHER brands of helmets. I'm getting frustrated with the helmet-shopping process - after all, my melon is priceless!!! I guess I'm going to have to settle for another brand because I'll be able to find one that fits like it's supposed to.

Also, at the local MC shops, the salespeople were telling me "...well, modular helmets will never get SNELL ratings because they don't perform well in tests with chin-area impacts..." Hmm...The Zeus 508 Modular passed the [European Rating], which is supposedly MORE stringent than SNELL. Anyone know for sure?

I'm in the Philadelphia Area, and I can't find a Zeus (of ANY model, for that matter!) to try on, so they're going to lose my business. Gotta do what I gotta do, I guess...

~CR

Hey everyone! I've just ordered a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 Jacket and Joe Rocket gloves ($282 delivered - hopefully by next Thursday or Friday, so I can have them for my MC class!). And of COURSE I went to a local shop and tried them all on, inspected fit and finish, etc. I even offered the shop the opportunity to match the online prices, but they wouldn't budge and never responded to my email. OK - here's the question I have... does anyone use (or HAVE used in the past) a KBC FFR modular helmet? This is something I've been looking for, that I've actually been able to TRY ON in a store. So I'm thinking of ordering one. Any thoughts on this? Heavy? Noisy? Sweet? Thanks everyone. I'm still shopping for my 1st street bike, but safety and comfort is paramount!!!

Happy trails...
~RRRRRROB

In all the information and publicity concerning helmets, I have not seen any mention about the normal life expectancy of a helmet (assuming that they have not been dropped or had any impact). I have two, a 97 and 98 model, both DOT and Snell certified. Since that time, has the material for the outer or inner shells changed or improved enough where it would be wise to buy a new helmet.

So I have a question regarding FF helmet fit. I'll be buying my first bike and consequently helmet soon, and I'm probably going to get the Shoei RF-1000. According to the Shoei size chart, I'm squarely in the Medium range. But when I try on a M at the dealer it is very very tight. I mean the cheek pads were practically making me make a fish face. I know that folks tend to buy helmets too big, but the M goes beyond snug on my head. To contrast I tried the L and it was what I would consider snug. So my question is how much do these things really break in? I feel like the M would really have to give a good bit during break in to make it tolerable for any extended period...

sisooktom,

Yesterday I tried on most of Aria's current line and all of Shoei's, I found that the RF-1000 was the most comfortable on my head. You should wear it for at least 15 minutes in the store if not longer. I found that the cheek pads on all the helmets pushed my lips towards the middle but I got used to it after a little while(5 minutes). If you decide to get the RF-1000 I was able to find it online for ~$310 w/ free shipping. I ordered mine last night and can't wait for my first helmet :-D

In all the information and publicity concerning helmets, I have not seen any mention about the normal life expectancy of a helmet (assuming that they have not been dropped or had any impact). I have two, a 97 and 98 model, both DOT and Snell certified. Since that time, has the material for the outer or inner shells changed or improved enough where it would be wise to buy a new helmet.
Everything I've read on the matter of life-expectancy (minus drops) is no longer than 5 years. Foam, padding, plastics, etc. break down over time and lose their effectiveness in protecting one's cranium.

Sounds like you should ditch the oldies and buy a new one.

There is a fable out there that all helmets should be replaced after a certain length of time.

In the days of gel-and-paint fiberglass shells, when the gelcoat would crack and abrade the glass, a helmet would only last 4 - 5 years. However, polycarbonate shells WITH PAINTED EXTERIORS will last forever, unless there is visible damage. The only thing that degrades polycarbonate ("Lexan") is sunlight, and that takes decades even if the shell is unprotected.

The only part of the helmet which actually degrades by itself is the comfort liner, which can be replaced on the better helmets. The foam padding breaks down -- if you notice crumbled bits of foam, it's shot.

My rule is that if a helmet has done its job, protecting the wearer in an accident, it's history even if it looks brand new. If there is obvious damage, same thing.

However, if the shell is in good condition, and the liner isn't cracked, the only reason to replace the helmet is for features on the new helmet which aren't on the old one. I figure that my Caberg will do fine for the next couple of decades, or until I can't get replacement visors.

Or, of course, if it does its job.

I'm looking to buy another full face helmet, I currently have 2 half helmets (Yeah, I know, 2 half's equal a whole :lol: ) a 3/4 and a full. My issue is the half's let way too much wind hit my ears (I hate wearing ear plugs or any thing in my ears), the 3/4 gets a lot of wind noise from the wind hitting the area covering my ears & the full gets a ton of noise, mostly from from the top vent. I usually wear the 1/2 around town/short rides, the 3/4 for going to to/from work when it's hot/warm & the full when it's cold out. I'm interested in a ZOX modular or full face helmet (Azuma), preferably the modular NEVADO. Not sure but I've heard the Zeus ZS-508 uses metal for the connectors on the flip, a nice feature but I've also heard it is a very noisy helmet. A few of the ZOX helmets also use a chin curtain like some of the Shoei helmets.

Has any one used one of the ZOX helmets? I've looked for a couple of days already but can't find a review for the ZOX Nevado. It looks awesome & sounds great but I want a quiet helmet that's cool & comfy to wear even when it's warm.

Well when the wife and baught our bikes this year we tried on alot of helmets from different manufactures and we both found Shoei the best fit .After tring them on and wearing them for a while in the store we decided to price them online. She chose the J-Wing and I chose the RJ-Platinum R and and up here in canada they are alot more $ than in the U.S.. We found them oline From shoei.com and they were half the price and only $35.00 to ship the both of them .We got them two weeks later and they fit the same as the ones we had on in the store. We love them and they fit great ..

Vanisland
2007 900 LT

Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.

My name is Patrick Houlihan, and I'm a Technical Advisor for Shoei Safety Helmet Corp. I'm here to answer any questions you may have about Shoei Helmets. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or issues you may have. Thank you for your time-

I too, am interested in the Zeus 508. The only problem is, I can't find a SINGLE helmet in that model (or ANYTHING from Zeus, for that matter) to try on. I suppose the lack of availability is going to push me to another brand. Oh well.

Merry Christmas to all! Hope it was joyous and wonderful for you.
Unfortunately, I did not get my 900 Classic from Santa, **** him!

Now back to helmets, for those that wear the modulars, I have read a lot of complaints in write-ups/reviews about noise with a large number of them. What brands are you using and how is the noise with it?

I am going out this weekend to look at helmets again, but right now, it still is going to be the Nolan N-42, 3/4 helmet that I get.

My new hat

Cuppla weeks ago I bought my new Shoei XR-1000.
I wanted the "relic" style but was told they've been phased out so I got a "badge" ( badge 2 I think )
Quite simply put, it is the best helmet I've owned IMHO.
Over the last 30 years + I've owned quite a few brands but this new one pleases me greatly.
I accept that it might be a bit unfair and anachronistic to compare models over the decades .
Nevertheless , the finish on this new shoei is perfect. I can't find even the smallest manufacturing fault or blemish. The fit is excellent ( a personal thing I know ) and the lining material seems robust and is very comfortable.
I believe there is way less drag on my noggin/neck even at fairly high speeds and there is very very little whistling or noise from the helmet itself.
It does , however , let in an ideal amount of sound from the bike and things around me. I use sound significantly whilst riding and don't like to be isolated or "deafened" by a helmet.
Further , the visor is clear as crystal , shows no distortion of vision and is easily and quickly removed
I've only put a few hundred miles on it so far but am well pleased with my choice thus far.
Helmet costs a little over $AUS 700 which I think is quite reasonable however I believe replacement visors are a bit exxy.

Just my opinion if anybody's interested.
I'm not affiliated with Shoei or anybody else.

Merry Christmas to all! Hope it was joyous and wonderful for you.
Unfortunately, I did not get my 900 Classic from Santa, **** him!

Now back to helmets, for those that wear the modulars, I have read a lot of complaints in write-ups/reviews about noise with a large number of them. What brands are you using and how is the noise with it?

I am going out this weekend to look at helmets again, but right now, it still is going to be the Nolan N-42, 3/4 helmet that I get.
Got my Nolan N-102 ncom modular helmet a few weeks ago. Weathers been lousy and couldn't ride to try it out. Woo Hoo Some good weather lately. Myself I haven't really had a noise problem with it. I have a medium and it's really snug fitting but not uncomfortable. Field of view is great. Sun shade works great. Doesn't block the sun completely but lessens the glare a lot. The shield seals really well and I didn't have any problem with cold air coming up into the helmet. (all vents closed since it's still cold here).
All in all I'm totally please with the helmet. Prior to this I was using the HJC cl33 3/4 helmet. Another great helmet I feel but I'm much more comfortable with the safety of a full helmet.

Got my Nolan N-102 ncom modular helmet a few weeks ago. Weathers been lousy and couldn't ride to try it out. Woo Hoo Some good weather lately. Myself I haven't really had a noise problem with it. I have a medium and it's really snug fitting but not uncomfortable. Field of view is great. Sun shade works great. Doesn't block the sun completely but lessens the glare a lot. The shield seals really well and I didn't have any problem with cold air coming up into the helmet. (all vents closed since it's still cold here).
All in all I'm totally please with the helmet. Prior to this I was using the HJC cl33 3/4 helmet. Another great helmet I feel but I'm much more comfortable with the safety of a full helmet.
Seadog, thanks for the info about the N102. I was able to get my hands on and head in a couple different Nolan mods and like the design, ease of use and over all comfort of the 102 vice the other models they offer.

Out of all the different helmets I tried on I liked the fit of this one the best and I like the metal latching of the modulars section plus no D-rings to secure the helmet on you. My biggest concern before with FF helmets was the fact my vision seemed narrowed. Didn't realize they had different size opening for Peripheral vision with helmets. I think the cheapest I found online was around $235 with shipping included. I ended up buying local since the dealer matched the web price. I did have to pay sales tax though but I walked out with the helmet in hand so that wasn't a big deal. You won't be sorry if you get a Nolan.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.