Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Well, as it stands right now, I will be getting the N42 in the next coupld weeks. Found it in the Atlantic Blue that I like for 135. I will likely get the 102 in the future, but I just dont have the money right now, and dont want to wait any longer on a new helmet.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Well, as it stands right now, I will be getting the N42 in the next coupld weeks. Found it in the Atlantic Blue that I like for 135. I will likely get the 102 in the future, but I just dont have the money right now, and dont want to wait any longer on a new helmet.
Don't blame ya. That's why I first got the HJC 3/4 due to available funds. I figured I'd use it as a spare once I got a better one and the one I wanted. The HJC will be a good spare if someone wanted to go for a ride and didn't have a helmet. That is if their head size in similar. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reason's to not get a Snell helmet...

You should certainly get a helmet that is DOT certified. But, the Snell rated helmets, due to their need to withstand a very high amount of force, are actually TOO stiff. My uncle was an ER surgeon and avid motorcyclists and always kind of theorized this, but I never really gave it too much thought until I started looking at helmets for my bike, and I stumbled across this article:

Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

Very interesting, I think. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
in the uk,all hemets have to be kite marked or now bs marked..so they all conform to a standard,but the bigger the brand the higher their own test limits.i ride with a fairly cheap takashi helmet but it is acu gold marked which is well above the standard.
isnt the sticker thing to do with poly carb helmets..the glue eating into it?or somthing similar...

·
Registered
644 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]

This is why I will always wear a ff helmet.

I don't have much of a chin to start with, I can't afford to loose anymore.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For the reflector questions, I just bought Black 3M reflector tape which provides the safety without affecting the looks. There are many colors of 3M tape to customize a helmet.

As for helmets, I just bought a Black Fiberglass Snell, M2005 Full face for $59.95 from motodirect.com. Lots of value for the dollar. That company has incredible prices on all sorts of gear. I also bought a rreally nice leather jacket with reflective material and all the armor for $88. I am just getting back on the bike after 20 years and want to be safe.

·
New Guy
275 Posts
I wear a Shark RSI at the moment, ride everyday rain or shine, and have had it for about 2 years now, which means I'll be getting anotehr new one in the next few months.
I've used quite a few dating back to the old Bell's,Kiwi's, Bieffe's, but stay primarily with Shoei, but was rather impressed with the Shark.

On a side note, I used to keep an old X-8 Shoei at the shop with the liner, foam everything tore out.
The outer shell had a few nicks and scrapes, but I used it as a tool to show folks that had questions.
The helmet that appeared in ok condition on the outside, when held up to the light, looked like the craters of the moon with all the spiderwebbing cracks running through the inside portion of the shell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have read through all this thread, but did not see where anyone has mentioned about having to wear eye glasses. Does it matter when selecting one of the new ff helmets? I would like to get a ff, but I must wear eye glasses as well.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
I have read through all this thread, but did not see where anyone has mentioned about having to wear eye glasses. Does it matter when selecting one of the new ff helmets? I would like to get a ff, but I must wear eye glasses as well.
I wear eye glasses all the time. I first bought a 3/4 helmet since it was easy to put it on while my glasses were on. Later I bought a FF Modular. Nolan 102. It has a wider view which I like more so than most FF helmets plus I don't have to take my glasses off to put the helmet on. My riding buddy has a regular FF and has to take his glasses off to put the helmet on. Look into the Modular ones and also make sure you get one with the wider view.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I wear eyeglasses and I always wear my FF helmet when on the bike. Not much trouble really, take glasses off, put FF helmet on head, put glasses on through opening in FF helmet, ride, ride, ride :wink:

It does help to wear glasses with thin ear pieces and some helmets have different fit material near the ear so you may want to buy local where you can try em on and do the glasses trick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CL-SP Vs EXO-700

Fellow Riders,
I'm about to get an additional Helmet. I have 2 helmets in choice. HJC CL-SP Type-O (Black) and Scorpion EXO-700 Solid (Black). Which one you find better than other. I have HJC CL-15, which will be replaced by the new one. Your suggestions are welcome.:smile:

·
New Guy
275 Posts
I've had both.

The EXO-700 was VERY comfy for me, almost fit like my old Shoei Z-II BUT I didn't much care for the ventilation.
The CL-SP wasn't as comfy, vented better, but for some odd reason, the new shield system they use for some odd reason if you look just in front of your front tire while driving distorted the road a bit. It actually freaked me out for a minute.

If I was you and stuck between the two, maybe try the Scorpion EXO-1000.

I got to test one and I was VERY impressed. Very comfortable and very good ventilation.

But then again, we all have goofy shaped heads and one may fit better than the other for ya.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What about a Symax II? Anyone have any experience with one of these?

I spoke to the dealership about them, but they don't stock the HJC modulars. In fact, I can't find a distributor within 100 miles that does.

I want to know how the Symax II fits compared to the other HJC ff helmets so I can get a size to order.

Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
If I remember right the HJC is a little bit less expensive, than the scorpion. I was checking them both out before I went with the KBC Magnum, Both the HJC and Scorpion are nice helmets but in the end it came down to ventilation and the ease of face shield removal because I have a clear and tinted shield. Both are DOT SNELL approved so go with what fits best and get some anti-fog products.

·
Registered
1 Posts
purple helmet

I have a 2002 kawasaki zr750s that is the metallic blue violet color and im just wondering if anyone has found a good full face helmet that matches this color.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fellow Riders,
I'm about to get an additional Helmet. I have 2 helmets in choice. HJC CL-SP Type-O (Black) and Scorpion EXO-700 Solid (Black). Which one you find better than other. I have HJC CL-15, which will be replaced by the new one. Your suggestions are welcome.:smile:
I was looking at those same two helmets and the HJC CL-SP was the better fit for my dome, so that's the bucket I wear. I liked the look of the scorpion better but it really didn't fit right. I tried the helmets on at my dealer and one of the service guys walked me through fitment, etc. His input was invaluable.

Regarding the HJC CL-SP: It's comfy (for me,) not noisy at all and is vented pretty well. The inside has Nylex "bioceramic" fabric that wicks away moisture and keeps the inside of the helmet smelling fresh.

My buddy Seadog and I were talking about FF (that's Full Face, not Full Frame, Warren ;) ) vs. open face and I was adament about wearing a FF. Now that it's summer and flirting with the mid to upper 90's I'm not enjoying the black FF as much, but I know it's the best protection. Though I have to admit I'm tempted by Bell's Drifter half-helmet. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a cheap import Chinese pilot bike helmet that my wife likes to wear. She wants to repaint it yellow and orange. What type of paint would be recommended and where could I buy it?

·
Registered
416 Posts
My first helmet was a 'cheapie' half helmet. Now that I know better I don't wear it anymore but far as half helmets go it did have decent protection (evidenced by the mushroom head look :p ). Next I got an Icon Maineframe Sinner. I got a large in it and aside from being a smidge snug in the cheeks it's been great. Hasn't really had a problem with fogging, plenty of venting, removable cheekpads, visor snaps in & out without too much problem, decent sized d-rings on the chin strap without being too large, snap on the strap to keep it from flapping. Got it on sale for $200 down from $300.

I was asked not to wear the Sinner in uniform (Air Force, as an 'in case' in the event someone on base would be offended by it). So I went shopping and when I bought my Meanie I got a new helmet with a discount. There were some Icons I kinda liked, Scorpions had an interest but at the time I couldn't find any around here to try on. That mostly left Shoei and Arai. The Arais looked too round for my head so I tried the Shoeis. The RF-1000s fit best, a Medium was way too small (almost got stuck on my head) and the XL was too loose. The Large seemed to fit well. However since I started wearing it I've noticed it seems to fog easily with or without the removable air deflector, has more wind noise than the Mainframe, the d-rings can be a bit of a pain since they're a bit smaller and rounded rather than squared and the strap has some kind of plastic clip thing that tends to pop off at times. It also seems to be a bit short for my overall head, it feels like it's not down over my chin all the time even though it is (but not by much). I'll admit I'm rather disappointed with it given everything I always hear about Shoei but everyone has different shaped heads so they're just not my brand. I'm just glad I only paid about $350 instead of the $540 or so it had for sticker price.

I'll hopefully be shopping to replace the Shoei for work soon. There's some Foster ones I want to look into, and I've heard a lot about Suomy and Sharks if I can find some to try on. If not it'll likely come down to the Scorpion EXO-1000 or another Icon (probably a Domain 2) pending fit tests.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts