Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I can vouch for the comfort and quality of the Z1R brand of helmets, I even found one that matches the bike! my wife has a Scorpion brand Scorpion model, very high quality helmet!!!! the best graphics I have seen short of a Suomy too. We also have the HJC modular helmets that we wear when riding 2 up on the V2K, a good helmet no frills and a bit noisy in my opinion but I believe it is from the modular design so I hear. I intend to buy a nice Suomy or Scorpion with a killer graphics job someday soon, As for reflective tape and decals, I doubt they can in any way adversly effect the helmets integrity. Try PurpleHarley_Decals_Stickers for reflective stickers for helmets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just one additional comment to make re the DOT & Snell ratings on helmets. To obtain a DOT rating a helmet must sustain an impact from a drop from 6 feet whereas a Snell Rating requires a drop from at least 10 feet.
This is why I choose either of two helmet brands which exceed both of these tests. Other features of these brands also enter into my preferences

Houston Best Florist loans with no credit check pisos vilafranca download iPhone ringtones

·
Registered
27 Posts
My opinion is that as long it is DOT and Snell Certified or approved, your OK to wear it. Brand name is just a name. It doesn't mean it's better. Gap jeans is better than no name brand jeans?

·
Registered
71 Posts
the best way to fit glasses in a helmet is to have narrow lenses and thin frames (to rest between your temples and the helmet padding). The next option is a modular helmet. They give you easy access to your glasses without taking off the helmet, but may not be much bigger behind the visor than other full-face helmets.

·
Registered
470 Posts
ive seen a ton of good answers here, but havent seen this one yet..

Whats the cheapest helmet you will buy?

Guy I work with bought an ebay helmet, dot cert. FF for $50, brand new in packaging..Its comfortable as hell(ive worn it, we have the same size head)...Would this hold up the same as a say..$300 helmet?

·
Registered
70 Posts
ive seen a ton of good answers here, but havent seen this one yet..

Whats the cheapest helmet you will buy?

Guy I work with bought an ebay helmet, dot cert. FF for $50, brand new in packaging..Its comfortable as hell(ive worn it, we have the same size head)...Would this hold up the same as a say..$300 helmet?
i would say no...main reason you have no idea what the ebay seller has done with the helmet. I could bang around a helmet and as long as there is no visual damage i could put it in a box and say its brand new.

and in 99% of the time you get what you pay for. 50$ doesn't sound like its quality material.

Personally for me my head is worth more then 50 bucks. I would rather buy something that IK is made of high quality materials. My head is the one place i made sure not to be a cheap skate with

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone that I know bought a helmet for $20 bucks on Ebay and I still not sure if these are safe at all to wear.

·
It's purple, ma'am
2,016 Posts
Caution when buying online. Some helmet manufacturers won't honor the warranty unless you are buying the item new and in the factory packaging.

On another note, just found a Nolan N103 for sale half-price at BikeBandit.com and am pumped waiting for it to get delivered.

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
After the face shield of my 3/4 face helmet snapped off in the middle of a commute (as a result of dropping it, I believe), I bought an HJC modular. The weight isn't bad, and it's $190 worth of comfortable and quiet. Fogging isn't an issue yet, and the venting on it works good for the moment. We'll see when summer hits. Super easy to fit over my Oakley wire frame sunglasses, I see everything just fine, and I love the modular functionality. I can lift the front piece at stop lights for a breath of air, take a drink, etc. I wore it for 3 hours straight doing some weekend riding, and it didn't bother me a bit. Best helmet of 2 so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The best article that I have found was in Motorcyclist "Searching for the truth behind motorcycle helmet design, helmet standards and actual head protection"
February, 2009

Most helmets are DOT and Snell approved, with most reviewers siding in favor of DOT. One big key that DOT and Snell do not review is the ability of the inside cushioning to slow down the head when it is being bounced around during impact. A lot of sub-dural hematomas are caused by contra-coup injuries, i.e., when the brain slaps back against the other side of the skull cavity. Therefore, it is important to slow the head down with the least amount of g-force. Motorcyclist measured the force on the head inside the helmets in g's, and the results were very interesting. It's a long article, but well worth reading, especially if you value your noggin. This article and some other reading convinced me to buy the HJC FS-15. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth at least a quick review.

·
New Guy
275 Posts
Something to keep in mind on your helmets...and I'll try and post a few pics later...

Although your helmet may have taken a few small hits, keep in mind every hit weakens it.

I have one of my own helmets that I was wearing when I hit the ground, it had a few small chips on it, nothing more.

I tore out the liner and foam revealing just the shell.

You'de be amazed at all the LARGE spiderwebbed cracks going through the shell itself and the damage of the foam that was against the shell.

I use it now as a great sales tool for getting people into a new brain bucket.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone, I can see this area hasnt had a post in a long time. After surviving a freeway motorcycle crash wearing my Shoe rf 1100 im convinced on shoei, Now this doesnt take away from other Snell approved helmets at all. I guess the main reason i am writing this is to stress the importance of protective clothing such as helmet and jacket. I survived with a broken right arm in 9 places only. My jacket and especially my helmet saved my life. Even when its 110 here in Phoenix I wear all of my protective clothing.
Ride safe everyone

·
Jenn in Georgia
63 Posts
This helmet saved my life two weeks ago tonight, on wet leaves in an urban setting when I lost control around a gentle curve at sane speeds. It is not an expensive helmet, although it is both Snell and DOT rated. It saved my life because it fits very well and does not wobble on my head at all. With a size XS noggin of a long-oval type, I can't just go into a store and walk out with a safe, comfortable helmet. I have put a great deal of effort and time into finding a helmet that fit me well, no matter its cost, and when I found the Scorpion EXO-400 and 700 series, they both fit me better than the Arai they replaced (and lots cheaper as well). I keep one with a clear lens and one with a tinted so I can leave the house at a moment's notice. I do not own a car and have been a full-time commuter for years now.

A lot of us wear helmets to satisfy legal requirements. I used to wear them to keep warm in winter and bug- and sunburn-free in summer. But after I crashed hard enough to grind down into the inner materials of this Scorpion helmet, now I wear them to save my life. Yep, I rode away on a basically totalled bike with a mild concussion and road rash. It would have been much, much worse if my helmet was sloppy. I would still have my jaw wired shut if it was a half-helmet.

Hope this helps someone else to put the effort and commitment into finding a good helmet and wearing it every single ride.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Locally, we have many cheapo helmets that are communist made and DOT approved. Some you can buy for in the $50 range! To get both DOT and SNELL usually requires quite a bit more money but it's surprising the number of people who buy for price??? Even brand can be decieving= Bell used to be a top brand but most of their lower priced models are now made in China! It's bizzare seeing some of the Harley boys spend $1000 on fashion then buying a $75 german helmet look-a-like?????????????

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
Locally, we have many cheapo helmets that are communist made and DOT approved. Some you can buy for in the $50 range! To get both DOT and SNELL usually requires quite a bit more money but it's surprising the number of people who buy for price??? Even brand can be decieving= Bell used to be a top brand but most of their lower priced models are now made in China! It's bizzare seeing some of the Harley boys spend $1000 on fashion then buying a $75 german helmet look-a-like?????????????
It's got nothing to do with price. It's aboot the style......

·
Banned
42 Posts
Nowadays, its hard when you dont have the proper gear for you motorcycle. You'll never know what will happen. Be sure to always wear them all the time :) its for your safety anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
Nowadays, its hard when you dont have the proper gear for you motorcycle. You'll never know what will happen. Be sure to always wear them all the time :) its for your safety anyway.
I love how people who have no idea who I am feel qualified to tell me how to dress and how improperly I may or may not be doing it. Not. I work hard, I play hard. I pay my own way. It's none of your business.

Live and let live, ride and let ride. To each his/her/its own. Different strokes for different folks.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts