Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a new helmet. So far I've read a lot of good things about HJC. Any suggestions?

P.S. Beartooth, I really like the AC-10 MC-2 w/ stinger graphics but I'm also considering the new CL-14 MB-II MC-2. If you wouldn't mind giving me a quote, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
BUCKET

I have a HJC, two Bell and they all FIT differently. I don't give a hoot about what people tell you, or me, when it comes to putting something on your head it has to fit right! A Shoei doesn't fit my head right, and I have tried on several others as well. Find one at th shop that does fit and either buy it there to sopport the people that are there to support you or find a nother price somewhere else, but make sure that it fits right. There are some that wear LABELS just because it's cool. Wear what fits and don't skimp on something as important as head gear. I have three helmits because when I ride I need to change them out from sweating so bad. I keep them cleaned out and well ventilated. I wear full face because I caught a bumble bee almost the size of a ping pong ball, in Hawaii, just about where my adams apple is...I couldn't breath or see (tears) so I skidded to a stop and laid my bike down on its side (gently) and ripped my helmit off...all the while trying to get my breath back. It didn't sting me, but it took me about 5 minutes before I was able to get up and set my bike back up on its stand and look in my mirrors to see if I had been stung. Fortunately my Kawasaki or I wasn't hurt in the incident. I've dodged a few rocks thrown from truck wheels...but I won't go back to open face.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely getting a full face. I don't care who makes it, I'm just trying to find something that has a good design, so I can decide what pattern I'm gonna paint my bike. :) I tried on a HJC today at a local dealer and it fit really well. I have an older helmet (not sure what kind cause it came with the bike) that fits. The HJC I tried on today was a huge improvement; hugged my noggin.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've got an HJC, its a CL-10 I think, but my old roomate had an AC10 I believe, its an awesome helmet. I like mine too, but its not as nice of a helmet. I am looking at upgrading to a CL-14 soon as I have the cash and whatnot.

http://www.helmetharbor.com is a good place for helmets.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with freakinout. HJC has very VERY comfortable helmets. Also, I know on some of the HJC the liner comes out so you can wash it (VERY IMPORTANT if you sweat :wink: ) My next helmet will be an HJC.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Lots of good helmets out there, but first consideration should be "fit" an ill fitting quality helmet will probably protect less than "lesser" quality helmet that fits you right. Crash protection aside an uncomfortable helmet with hotspots takes away a lot of the fun of riding.

As far as protection goes, any full face with snell certification will offer about equal protection, the extra money goes towards bells and whistles. Colors, vents, weight, removable linings, breath guards, etc...

Visit dealers and try them on, we don't all have the same head shape.Not all helmets fit every head properly. Some people have Shoei heads others have Arai heads,etc... When you do try them on, once you've found one you like, try keeping it on your head for as long as possible before making a final decision.

I remember buying my first helmet, luckily the salesgirl who was helping me choose, insisted I keep a helmet I liked and thought fit well on my head, after about 10 minutes I started feeling hotspots ( feels like a blister starting to happen ).

The helmet should feel snug ( borderline too tight ) when you put it on. When you grab the helmet and move it from side to side and front to back your skin should move with the padding . As long as there are no hotspots you should be okay, the padding will compress slightly with time eliminating the too tight feeling.

Tie the chinstrap, grab the lower edge of the helmet at the back of your head ( nape of the neck ) and try to roll your helmet up and off your head. If it does roll off then choose another type of helmet or a smaller size.

One other thing I'd like to add is to buy the helmet you try on. Two identical helmets in the same size will fit differently. I bought my first helmet after trying on several at the local dealer and finding the one that fit me best. Two weeks later the wife decided that she wanted the same helmet to ride with me. She had tried my helmet and it fit her well so I hopped on the bike and went back and grabbed her one identical to mine and the fit was totally different. Mine fits perfect, hers has play. Still comfortable and close enough to be safe but there is a difference. Fortunately she has alot more hair than I do and it takes away the play for her and fits her right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a HJC cl-14. Black and gray graphics, super comfortable, and it was easy on the wallet (just an added bonus).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotta decide on the color of helmet I want. My bike is gonna be Blue and white. Kinda like the pic. My jacket is plain black though. My gf said that it would look goofy to have a blue/white graphic helmet and get a plain black one. What'ya think :?:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
HELMIT

Safety is color blind, and so are some people. Personally I have a black leather jacket as several helmets. In Hawaii, or San Diego, CA the sun beats down on you and your brain turns to jello inside the black helmet and your body heats up real fast ina black leather jacket even with the liner removed. I wore a white helmit with MSF decal in the back and a red reflective stripe all teh way around the helmet (like you find on trucks or trailers only mine was 1" wide..shows up in the day and esp at night! You can order Blue. Get 3M if you do, I think that it is the best that you can get. Should you decide to keep the black the white stripe is very easy to get as well...or a blue helmit with a white stripe. A black jacket is about as common as you can get and get a great bargain for a great jacket. You can get really detailed with reflective tape, like the military pilots, but I have found that a single stripe parallel with the ground is great and I like to have the MSF reflective triangle under it, because it shows up at night as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
fosta22 said:
I just bought a HJC cl-14. Black and gray graphics, super comfortable, and it was easy on the wallet (just an added bonus).
you and i have the same exact helmet...really nice fit...and for 180 bones it was a pretty decent buy as compared to the Arai that i looked at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Two of my friends died on the 29th Jan 2004 in a collision. One guy on his back wheel one stationary. The impact was at 200km/h plus. One was wearing an Arai the other a Shoei. They both died on impact but there was no damage to there faces. The guy that was stationary had no leathers on and died of massive internal injuries, the other guy had full kit but broke his neck. It taught me that a good helmet and protective clothing is absolutely necessary. no matter what it costs.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I just got my CL-12 in, used from a friend off of katanaplanet.com and it is very comfortable, a nice helmet all around as far as I can tell. I need to hit the roads with it and give it some real use.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just went to the Int. bike show this weekend and picked up a new KBC VR-1. Had to put it on on the ride home and stick my head out the window just to try it out. :lol: Bike show was kinda disapointing, not really anything special. Coulda just went to a large dealer and seen the same things. If I hadn't found my helmet, I woulda been pissed.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
lindsay said:
Two of my friends died on the 29th Jan 2004 in a collision. One guy on his back wheel one stationary. The impact was at 200km/h plus. One was wearing an Arai the other a Shoei. They both died on impact but there was no damage to there faces. The guy that was stationary had no leathers on and died of massive internal injuries, the other guy had full kit but broke his neck. It taught me that a good helmet and protective clothing is absolutely necessary. no matter what it costs.

Sorry to hear about your friends.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well i just crash tested my cl-14 last friday...not on purpose, but i'm fine...just landed on the top of my headed and slid down the side and over the back a bit, face visor snapped off, but there were some thing i should consider during my next purchase which will be friday...check out the neck strap...if it isn't totally padded, it could give you some minor cuts....i had a scratch, but that's it where the strap went around my head, oh and a small bruise on my back, but other then that i would rate the cl-14 as either a B+ or an A- when it comes to helmets....it probably saved me from some serious injuries.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts