Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
NORMAL

You opened up a good discussion on this one. You will find guys on the street wearing shorts, and tennis shoes, no shirts, no helmets...(in Kansas) all the way to the guys that are wearing under protective gear, full leathers, full racing boots and some awesome helmets. IF you are new to the areana or riding I would suggest buying the best equipment that you can buy. The helmet is one of the best peices of equipment, followed by boots then a jacket and pants. I personally spend the bulk of my money on the best brain bucket that I can afford. I wear military lace up boots, and use mink oil and lanalin shoe cream to keep them soft and shiny. I wear a leather jacket, and heavy denim pants when I'm on teh road. During the winter the liner zips in. For wet weather you can buy different peices of rain gear specific to motorcycles that don't blow up like a drag chute when you ride...I wear a "Dry Rider". My helmet has a reflective stripe as well as the MSF decal on it. Buy what you you need for hte area that you will be riding in, but definately wear a GREAT helmet that FITS your head. Do NOT be a label lover...get what fits, and WEAR it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Heh, I thought I was being overly cautious.

HJC AC-11 "Zeek" helmet
Teknic Chicane Jacket
Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 pants

I figured the pants were overboard but, it was cold and rainy today when i took my new baby home. Also hadn't been on a bike in 15 years. Drives me nuts to see folks in shorts and at times even wearing flip flops while riding. Are they nuts?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Loki, glad you're ok.

I wear, Full face, Joe Rocket jacket with armour ( It's in there for a reason, so even if it is removable please leave it in ), gloves, boots and am presently looking for a good pair of pants that don't make me feel like an astronaut whenI'm off the bike, I presently wear Draggin jeans but I don't completly feel safe with them although they must be better than regular jeans.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I have an HJC CL-12 and a Shoei RF-900 for helmets.

My main riding gear is:

Zero-60 Taso Gloves orZero-60 turbo-X Nylon Mesh Gloves (Depends on the day)
Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket (First Gen, from 1998 or 1999. Looks like the meteor and has Kevlar Armor)
SRS Kawasaki Ninja Jacket
Greyhound Imola Motorcycle boots

This year, I plan to get away from heavy jeans and get actual riding ballistic pants.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here's what my son and I wear (in order of importance in my opinion)
1. HJC Sy-max flip up helmets. (I wanted full face, but I also wanted to flip it open to talk with my son, so this is a compromise.) I'm hoping to install an intercom in the helmets before riding starts this year.
2. Rhyno leather gloves with Kevlar.
3. Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 mesh jackets with armor. We just bought these. Last year we used leather motorcycle jackets, but it was time to get some armor.
4 or 5. Sturdy work books.
5 or 4. Heavy jeans. This year we're going to line our jeans with Kevlar and padding in the hips, and Kevlar in the knees.
Curt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
Loki, glad you're ok.

Let's get a pic of your helmet up here.

I wear, Full face, Joe Rocket jacket with armour ( It's in there for a reason, so even if it is removable please leave it in ), gloves, boots and am presently looking for a good pair of pants that don't make me feel like an astronaut whenI'm off the bike, I presently wear Draggin jeans but I don't completly feel safe with them although they must be better than regular jeans.
a couple posts up, i attached a picture of my helmet...don't know if you can see it or not, but i can see that it posted. not sure if i'm getting the same helmet or not, but i know i don't want to crash test any more :D...i'm feeling good now...neck's a little sore, but that's nothing out of the norm really...i've always had a bad neck, maybe i can fenangle a rub down from my roomate :D

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Have you heard of Revue helmets, they should be available in North America shortly, they offer built in rear view mirror technology. This way your line of rearview site is always clear even in curves while the bike is leaned over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sweet rearview idea. Im going to be getting

HJC AC-11 in silver (with red reflective target on back)
First gear "Speed jacket" (textile w/leather patches)
First gear HT overpants
Shorty gloves W/carbon knuckles

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
Have you heard of Revue helmets, they should be available in North America shortly, they offer built in rear view mirror technology. This way your line of rearview site is always clear even in curves while the bike is leaned over.

Where in the UK sells these, I can't find a store that has or even heard of them !

Info would be good, and in South London too.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Loki said:
if you guys wanna see my helmet post crash, here it is
By the looks of that helmet your lucky you were wearing it. That looks like it could've been fatal.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts