Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the penny out – thanks to everyone for your suggestions. The best thing about your responses was that it made me want to try to retrieve the penny, whereas previously I was too bummed out to even try.

This is the procedure I went through:

Determined that the penny had to have fallen into the crankcase return opening just forward of and below the clutch shaft (there are 3 large and maybe 2 smaller crankcase return openings on the right side of the engine). I used mirrors and flashlights to try to see the penny, but I could not see it. The crankcase is too deep to reach in with fingers, and the opening is too small anyway. So I drained the oil, removed the oil filter (no help, can’t see anything through oil filter base), and removed the left-side strainer. This is the key.

However, I still could not see penny. So I had to remove the entire clutch assembly. With that gone, you can see almost straight down into the crankcase through the crankcase return opening, and the penny was lying within sight. I could not figure out how the crankcase opened to the strainer location, so I shined a flashlight into the strainer from the left side, and then, looking into the crankcase from the right side of the bike, I could see that the penny needed to be slid towards the rear of the bike in order to get it into the strainer opening. Using a coat hanger I was able after several try’s, to get the penny into the strainer opening, and then remove it.

In other words, looking into the crankcase from the clutch side, you can’t actually see where the strainer opening is, which is why shining light into the strainer helped.

So I have learned my lesson the hard way. Thanks again for all help.
I just done the same thing with the penny. I used your ideas and took the screen out, and used a flashlight through that drain hole. I was able to slide the penny near the hole and use the vaccum cleaner with a smaller tube taped to the end and sucked the penny up through the hole and out. What a relief. Also learned my lesson. Brass putty knife works a lot better.

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
I had to go way back in the memory banks wondering how the h3ll a penny got in your crankcase. But then an AHA! moment.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts