Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with getting my quad running. Alright, when I try to start the bike she turns over and back fires really bad. I have charged the battery, changed the oil, took off and cleaned/soaked the carb(twice), drained out all of the old gas and replaced it with new. I just dont know what to do anymore..... can someone please help me!!!!!!?????!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Check your cam timing, if the cam chain tensioner was not kept adjusted you may have jumped a tooth or so.

The other thing to check is the woodruff key that holds the rotor to the crankshaft. If it breaks the ignition will no longer be in time.

It is also a good idea to verify that your valve adjustment is within specs.

·
Retired and playing.
7 Posts
I have had the similar problem on a 2000 KEF. it blew a hole in the air filter. it was carburetor problem. Change the plug at least (instead of pay dealer repair cost). I took it to the shop and they adjusted the needle setting (jets).

If you are inclined, cleaning the carburetor will help remove deposits in the jet areas.

Did you use sta-build fuel additive? I have not had much luck after using the additive. Both of the kaw 4 wheeler had carb problems after using it. I should have kept using Lucas or STP. After 15 years of using the injector cleaners, the first year of using sta-build did not turn out good.

The KLF400 ended up with a sticking float issue/needle valve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.